Automotive

2017 NIssan Leaf - potential 50% off - $15,998 (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 9:36 pm
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3431 posts
1079 upvotes
Faith24 wrote: Yeah, in BC we missed out on that award for most wasteful government spending that the Ontario government won for offering big rebates to the wealthy on electric vehicles: http://www.news1130.com/2017/02/22/awar ... bc-bridge/
A federation ran by former Conservative party members handing out tax wastefulness awards for liberal policies? Surely there is no bias here.

While I agree it's unfortunate that the wealthy are benefitting more from the policy, it is necessary at this time to get higher adoption rates of expensive EVs so that costs of EVs continue to drop. That's why Tesla started by marketing only to rich people at first, to make more money and fund mass market cars.
Aug 29, 2007
345 posts
159 upvotes
VanceMendoza wrote: A federation ran by former Conservative party members handing out tax wastefulness awards for liberal policies? Surely there is no bias here.

While I agree it's unfortunate that the wealthy are benefitting more from the policy, it is necessary at this time to get higher adoption rates of expensive EVs so that costs of EVs continue to drop. That's why Tesla started by marketing only to rich people at first, to make more money and fund mass market cars.
the critics of the incentive all point to the expensive Tesla cars and conclude that it's an incentive for the rich. However, they overlook the fact that the incentive also applies to the Bolt, Leaf, and other mid-range cars that most middle class Canadians can afford and will benefit from. Also, when Tesla start delivering the Model 3, most middle class consumers will benefit. In fact, I think this is one of the few large incentives that really benefit the middle class. Compared to most tax rules that only benefit the rich or the poor (or the tax dodgers) but not the middle class, I'd say this isn't too shabby.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1674 posts
268 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: Leaf = 5.6km/kwh @ 50km = 9kwh * 9cent/kwh = $0.81 * 365 = $295
Corolla = 7.8l/100km @50km = 3.9L @ $1.1/L = $4.29 * 365 = $1566

1566-295 * 10 years = $12710.

Not quite $16K but definitely almost there.

That $0.09/kwh does not include delivery, debt, tax etc so it's not as sweet as you might think. Also not everyone can always charge at the cheapest rate all the time
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1794 posts
631 upvotes
Mississauga
redflag999 wrote: That $0.09/kwh does not include delivery, debt, tax etc so it's not as sweet as you might think. Also not everyone can always charge at the cheapest rate all the time
yeah, delivery are actually higher than the cost of the electricity. The actual cost per kWh including HST is close to $0.20
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
4053 posts
1127 upvotes
North York
Noob question, I live in a condo bldg., how do I recharge the battery?
Aug 4, 2004
719 posts
549 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: So if I fly to Ontario and drive it back to BC I save $9000 minus flight and mileage deprecation? Assuming my time worth nothing.
the Leaf doesn't go far per charge.... you may need to spend 3 weeks to finish your one way trip..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WL1980 wrote: So if I fly to Ontario and drive it back to BC I save $9000 minus flight and mileage deprecation? Assuming my time worth nothing.
No, because you'd have to register the car here in Ontario and apply for the rebate.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12893 posts
13090 upvotes
IntrepidRT wrote: 5.6km/kWh? I put my foot into the pedal a LOT and I get 6.6km/kWh (the worst I know of, I know someone who gets 8km/kWh - I have no clue how he does that though). Also a Corolla is a pretty low end car, you'd need to have the fully loaded Corolla to compare to a base model Leaf S.
Well, that's the official number. Consider you can get better and it may be worse by 20-30% in winter, so using official number may not be that bad.

aximrocks wrote: yeah, delivery are actually higher than the cost of the electricity. The actual cost per kWh including HST is close to $0.20
Good call, so you save $1K/year and $10K for 10 years.
Quentin5 wrote: Whats the purchase price of a Corolla vs a Leaf, and the expected maintenance costs?
A 10 year old Leaf worth almost $0. A 10 year Corolla worth at least $5k. So a few more maintenance items will offset higher residual in the end?

Case in point, a 2004 Prius in our local market with all batteries replaced (not sure true or not) is asking $6000. Consider the battery replacement is anywhere from $3-$7K USD, the Prius is practically worth $0. I expect same will be true to a degree with EVs.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/107 ... cost-guide

So make sure you sell your EV before battery warranty runs out.
Mar 6, 2002
461 posts
569 upvotes
Didn't find answer to this, does the $14K rebate also apply if you lease the car?
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1461 upvotes
Richmond
VanceMendoza wrote: While I agree it's unfortunate that the wealthy are benefitting more from the policy, it is necessary at this time to get higher adoption rates of expensive EVs so that costs of EVs continue to drop.
And why exactly is that "necessary"?

There's already an ever-increasing carbon tax on gasoline as a disincentive to use gasoline as a fuel. Electric-powered cars aren't necessarily environmentally-friendly either, seeing as how power generation has some negative environmental impact, at least compared to cycling/using mass transit/working from home/living close to work etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3800 posts
1275 upvotes
some1not wrote: I'm so tempted to try and get this deal. I really don't need a long range EV which comes with a $10K - $14K premium that I'll use only 2 - 3 times a year. I can rent a car for that and pocket the savings.
Yes, this is exactly the reason I would get it. I did not get $99 per month lease for a Smart car only because it is 2 seater.

For long trips we have minivan.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Xtrema wrote: A 10 year old Leaf worth almost $0. A 10 year Corolla worth at least $5k. So a few more maintenance items will offset higher residual in the end?

Case in point, a 2004 Prius in our local market with all batteries replaced (not sure true or not) is asking $6000. Consider the battery replacement is anywhere from $3-$7K USD, the Prius is practically worth $0. I expect same will be true to a degree with EVs.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/107 ... cost-guide

So make sure you sell your EV before battery warranty runs out.
I'm not buying a 10 year old Corolla or Leaf, i want to buy new or 3 years old in order to drive it more kms. Besides the 10 year old leaf sounds like a better bargain. Find me a free Leaf please, i'll pay you a finders fee of the 5k corolla Face With Tears Of Joy
The lifecycle costs of a comparable EV and ICE vehicle favour the EV
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6907 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
You could probably find a Geo Metro or Chevy Sprint for $500 if you look hard enough and those get 60MPG.... and a backyard mechanic would probably rebuild the sewing machine that powers it for less than 1 or 2 services at the dealer on your new "EV"
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
raspeed wrote: You could probably find a Geo Metro or Chevy Sprint for $500 if you look hard enough and those get 60MPG.... and a backyard mechanic would probably rebuild the sewing machine that powers it for less than 1 or 2 services at the dealer on your new "EV"
Compare a written off car to a new car
Very impressive, will you now compare a Commodore 64 to your smart phone?
Besides, someone just said a 10 year leaf is almost $0, beats your $500 :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12893 posts
13090 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Find me a free Leaf please, i'll pay you a finders fee of the 5k corolla Face With Tears Of Joy
The lifecycle costs of a comparable EV and ICE vehicle favour the EV
Well, I don't think there is 10 year old Leaf on market yet. And I'm sure any car worth less than $1K will go to Kidney foundation or something for tax credit, no point in selling.

Corolla on the other hand....
http://www.autotrader.ca/cars/toyota/co ... ncedSearch

Anyway, until there are more 10 year old Leaf hit the market, nobody really know what the resell is. All I can forecast is based on 10 year old Prius.
Aug 3, 2005
697 posts
325 upvotes
I hope tesla model 3 comes out soon so we see more discounts on Leaf. Not sure how much it will affect leaf though because lowest tesla model is going to cost 2-2.5x of leaf but I am still hopefull.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32138 posts
15421 upvotes
Socially Distanced
canadatoronto wrote: I hope tesla model 3 comes out soon so we see more discounts on Leaf. Not sure how much it will affect leaf though because lowest tesla model is going to cost 2-2.5x of leaf but I am still hopefull.
I suspect it will mean battery capacity upgrades
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
canadatoronto wrote: I hope tesla model 3 comes out soon so we see more discounts on Leaf. Not sure how much it will affect leaf though because lowest tesla model is going to cost 2-2.5x of leaf but I am still hopefull.
Model 3 really won't compete with the Leaf at all, basically it will compete with BMW M3 or Audi S4. Better get your wallet out as well because it won't be "cheap". Expect around $70k when loaded up with ludicrous and full autopilot. Obviously at this price, it's expensive......but still cheaper and better than an S4 or M3.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3800 posts
1275 upvotes
Lets keep this thread on the topic. So did anybody talked to dealer???

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)