Automotive

[ON] 2017 Subaru BRZ 6M $3k cash discount (and price dropped to $28k pre-discount)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2017 11:07 pm
May 3, 2003
917 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto

[ON] 2017 Subaru BRZ 6M $3k cash discount (and price dropped to $28k pre-discount)

Dunno about other provinces (didn't check). I think this is a great deal for a 2nd vehicle. Or why not make it a primary? The total lack of power should keep its rear wheels manageable.

https://ontario.subarudealer.ca/WebPage ... geID=20500

That's $28k before tax and tip, and a $3k cash discount on top. $30.5k OTR. Very tempting even during the off season. But I bet this deal will remain until the 2018s come out.

BUY THESE CARS. They're not selling well and no one will build fun, cheap cars anymore.
37 replies
Jul 23, 2012
521 posts
210 upvotes
Montreal
Honestly, if I wanted to drop that kind of money on a Subaru, I would rather get a 6MT WRX where you have AWD and a turbo engine. The BRZ's look nice but I think it was silly of Subaru not to give it AWD and a turbo engine at a lower price point. I've never driven a BRZ but looking at the figures max torque comes in at 6.4k RPM for only a paltry 156 lb-ft, where with the WRX you get 258 lb-ft at 2k RPM. Another comparison, with the 2017-18 Impreza you get 145lb-ft, yes it's lower, at 4k RPM which is a lot sooner than the BRZ and that car can be had for at least $22k tax and fees included (QC).

To each their own.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12893 posts
13090 upvotes
OpportunityChaos wrote: this sports car loses to a base model camry, let that sink in
Unfortunately, the base that understand what this car is about has already bought and/or owned BRZ/86.

This is the same argument about MX-5, it's about going fast slow. Not all driving pleasure is derived from specs or 0-60 alone.

And yes, WRX is definitely a better car in term of daily driving, especially in winter.
Last edited by Xtrema on Dec 24th, 2017 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2009
523 posts
482 upvotes
Richmond
28K for the base model is the regular price. There's no pre-discount price drop.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2472 posts
1906 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I think I'd rather have a base Mustang. You can still get a new 2017 V6 Mustang for 24k. It has 300 hp. In 2018 they are getting rid of the V6 and the base Mustang will be the turbo 4 cylinder which costs 29k. It's a bigger car which doesn't really feel the same as a BRZ but it would make a better daily driver for most people.
Aug 16, 2010
505 posts
152 upvotes
OpportunityChaos wrote: this sports car loses to a base model camry, let that sink in
Yea going straight in a line... try going around a bend with speed and that 3.5 tonne Camry will be in a ditch or a wrapped around a guard rail. Aside from the cornering, driver feedback, suspension, overall handling which the BRZ turmps the camry in, the Camry is a hideous looking car. As are 80% of average commuter cars compared to the BRZ. To each their own. PS I dont own a Subaru and have never owned one but this car is arguably the best 'sports' car you can get sub $30k.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I think the worse is the one that mods a Camry. It just looks wrong and feels like you didn't have money to buy a car so you're just modding your mom's car.

At least the BRZ is mod friendly and there's a lot of support and can meet a lot of other enthusiasts too.
Apr 24, 2013
933 posts
730 upvotes
Waterloo
Sad people that come and compare a Gt86 (iconic car) to stupid every day for average ppl car like camry.
May 3, 2003
917 posts
864 upvotes
Toronto
zevnux wrote: 28K for the base model is the regular price. There's no pre-discount price drop.
I was doing that from memory: I recall not that long the BRZ's sticker was higher than the FR-S/86, and it was closer to $29.5k. So I think there was a price drop in the past few months but I definitely could be wrong.

This is a fun reaction thread to follow. To add my two-cents: buy a new supersport for $13k and you'll get the same 0-60mph for 1/20th of a McLaren and have fuel economy like a Prius! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
Everybody who is actually willing to buy a car like this already knows you can buy other cars that may be faster or cheaper for the same comparable cost. Yet some people still insist on broadcasting their "knowledge" about the car market and posting how they would buy this or that instead.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6907 posts
3331 upvotes
Canada
Just buy it and drop an LS in it!

y0
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
I own a 2015 frs, and its not my daily. Its my toy car, when i want to enjoy my driving experience, i drive my frs, instead of my 2016 camry.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
beneran89 wrote: The BRZ's look nice but I think it was silly of Subaru not to give it AWD
That't the whole point of the car I think. But yea, totally underpower and overhyped.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18180 posts
14181 upvotes
Toronto
MAR-TYR-DOM wrote: Yea going straight in a line... try going around a bend with speed and that 3.5 tonne Camry will be in a ditch or a wrapped around a guard rail.
3.5 tons?

Is it full of cement?
Dec 3, 2010
701 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
MAR-TYR-DOM wrote: Yea going straight in a line... try going around a bend with speed and that 3.5 tonne Camry will be in a ditch or a wrapped around a guard rail. Aside from the cornering, driver feedback, suspension, overall handling which the BRZ turmps the camry in, the Camry is a hideous looking car. As are 80% of average commuter cars compared to the BRZ. To each their own. PS I dont own a Subaru and have never owned one but this car is arguably the best 'sports' car you can get sub $30k.
You don't own one and yet you are saying it's the best sports car? Anybody can google
Jan 27, 2016
112 posts
137 upvotes
Calgary, AB
You obviously don't understand what this car is about if you're comparing straight line speed to a family sedan.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2010
1726 posts
723 upvotes
slap a turbo on it with the savings you're getting
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2013
1420 posts
862 upvotes
This car is meant to be at the track/autox. I see quite a few in the area, but most are probably just for commuting.

It might be among the last reasonably priced NA cars w/ MT out there. Even Honda, who built some of the best NA engines, has given up and gone FI for the Type R.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
3049 posts
1468 upvotes
MARKHAM
about 2 month ago, saw a 86 or brz crashed and totaled, it was a bit wet on the road and RWD.....lol.