• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 4:55 pm
Nov 22, 2011
535 posts
64 upvotes
Batcave
Desalex wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:00 pm
Studded tires are illegal in many parts of the country.
Good catch. I checked and it should be legal in Alberta.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3746 posts
501 upvotes
Regina
i know that this is a winter tire thread but do these deals work for all seasons as well?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1789 posts
109 upvotes
Some do and some don't. Eligible tires are all in the original post.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car; oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall; torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Nov 22, 2011
535 posts
64 upvotes
Batcave
How much are people paying for a set of Hakka 9 Studded? I read that only Kal Tire carries these in Canada but they are closed tomorrow so I will have to wait until Monday for a quote.
“Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.” - Batman . . . . .
Sep 8, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
I got my Bridgestone WS-80 and hubcentric steel wheels from ZRacing in Mississauga last year. Found them on kijiji. With the rebate, the package came out to just under $700. I got quotes at Canadian Tire and Tirecraft, and they were both around $1100.

Very happy with the deal and service. They had me in and out in less than an hour.
Dec 25, 2007
661 posts
55 upvotes
Looks like Costco blizzaks are good deal right now. Would we get better deal through simply tire group buy? Do steelies/rims come with Costco or do they just swap tire on your existing rim?
Apr 12, 2007
224 posts
46 upvotes
rage2021 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:07 am
Looks like Costco blizzaks are good deal right now. Would we get better deal through simply tire group buy? Do steelies/rims come with Costco or do they just swap tire on your existing rim?
Steelies and other rims (+ sensors) are extra. If you swap rims, remember you will have to pay when you swap back and replace any sensors that might break during the process.
Apr 12, 2007
224 posts
46 upvotes
Well it depends when eg in BC (and yup it includes Vancouver):

https://www.tranbc.ca/2014/10/24/how-to ... ing-in-bc/

Studded tires with studs up to 3.5mm are allowed on BC highways from October 1 to April 30 (one month after winter tires requirements). Vehicles weighing less than 4,600 kg can have up to 130 studs per tire, and vehicles weighing more can have up to 175 studs per tire. It’s also important to note that you should use studded tires on all four wheels for optimal control. Legally, you cannot have studded tires only on the front wheels.

Desalex wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 10:00 pm
Studded tires are illegal in many parts of the country.
Aug 12, 2008
27 posts
3 upvotes
derass wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 11:41 pm
I got my Bridgestone WS-80 and hubcentric steel wheels from ZRacing in Mississauga last year. Found them on kijiji. With the rebate, the package came out to just under $700. I got quotes at Canadian Tire and Tirecraft, and they were both around $1100.

Very happy with the deal and service. They had me in and out in less than an hour.
I have to agree. I use zracing for everything too.
From entry level cars all the way up.
Generally the best pricing I've found with good experience and expertise. Ive compared a few times with a few different sets. They can order tires very quickly (most shops can)
The worst thing about them is they are far from me (KW) lol.
Jun 12, 2010
324 posts
58 upvotes
YVR
Any recommendation brands/models for a Mazda CX-5 in BC? Vancouver + occasional trips to Burnaby/NW/north Van.
Aug 12, 2010
227 posts
44 upvotes
NCR - RCN
I've got WS80's on 205/50R17.. no complaints :)

For anyone getting winter tires for the first time, pretty much anything rated for winter is better that "4" (3) season tires. The magic number here is 7 degrees Celsius for best grip/performance.

What amazes me, is that some people, to save of $ I guess, keep their winter tires on their car all year round! That's soo ignorant and dangerous. Winter tires when it's warm/hot are actually worse than 3/4 season tires...

If you're not sure of which tire to get, decide if you mostly do highway (ice) driving vs city (slush) driving, then look at the tires. Generally, with tires, the more $ you spend, the better they are.
Total $ spent because of RFD... $15,277.42
Total $ saved because of RFD... $7471.93

Not paying 'retail' for anything: Priceless
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3567 posts
2220 upvotes
GTA
tharkhold wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 1:55 pm
I've got WS80's on 205/50R17.. no complaints :)

For anyone getting winter tires for the first time, pretty much anything rated for winter is better that "4" (3) season tires. The magic number here is 7 degrees Celsius for best grip/performance.

What amazes me, is that some people, to save of $ I guess, keep their winter tires on their car all year round! That's soo ignorant and dangerous. Winter tires when it's warm/hot are actually worse than 3/4 season tires...

If you're not sure of which tire to get, decide if you mostly do highway (ice) driving vs city (slush) driving, then look at the tires. Generally, with tires, the more $ you spend, the better they are.
+1, in addition to not performing as well as all-season/summer tires in the summer, they wear out much quicker so they're basically wasting the money they think they're saving.
Other things to factor in your decision are they kind of car and features you want from a tire, like still decent sporty handling or better snow/ice grip at the expense of sportiness on dry pavement due to increased tread block movement.
Nov 18, 2014
273 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Nokians are tested as best each year in the European winter tire consumer tests, beating all the other brands. I personally love mine. Such a difference with the Michelin x-ice ones (I have both as the nokians weren't available for my second car), unfortunately I blew one this year in March, so am now looking at a new set for this upcoming season.

No word yet on the Nokian rebates?

Don't go cheap on winter tires though! They are the only piece of your car that actually make physical contact with the road and can mean the difference between hitting that car or child and not! People have no problem spending 1000$ on a new phone or 2000$ on a new tv each year, but something that is of such high safety importance to you, your passengers and the other people on the road, is something people find hard to spend the money on every couple of years!