• Sep 23rd, 2017 2:07 am
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3414 posts
303 upvotes
West Side GTA
engineered wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 7:33 pm
+1, in addition to not performing as well as all-season/summer tires in the summer, they wear out much quicker so they're basically wasting the money they think they're saving.
Other things to factor in your decision are they kind of car and features you want from a tire, like still decent sporty handling or better snow/ice grip at the expense of sportiness on dry pavement due to increased tread block movement.
The only reason why anyone should be running winters on during the summers is that if they are past the wear bar for snows. At that point, you might as well run them as summers till they go bald to save your summer sets and simply replace them when winter comes around again.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3574 posts
2224 upvotes
GTA
-=phelan=- wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:05 pm
The only reason why anyone should be running winters on during the summers is that if they are past the wear bar for snows. At that point, you might as well run them as summers till they go bald to save your summer sets and simply replace them when winter comes around again.
Yep, I actually did that this summer because my winters were at the end of their life. I just recently put my summers on enjoyed the massive performance gains of my lighter, wider, stiffer summer tires.
Jul 8, 2009
847 posts
216 upvotes
Newmarket
Anyone has experience with Pirelli Ice Zero FR? Price is very attractive compared to xice3.
Mar 26, 2013
27 posts
7 upvotes
Bridgestone WS-80 is an amazing tire. Last winter I drove to NYC from Toronto every other week and regardless weather and road condition they never ever gave me any problem at all.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1307 posts
223 upvotes
For what it's worth, when I last took my car in for service at Erin Mills Mazda, the advisor let me know that Mazda corporate will be running a stacking promo starting on September 18th. If you buy a set of four new tires from Mazda, in additional to any manufacturer rebates, you'll also get $50 off the set of tires.

Whether this pricing works out cheaper after installation and so on remains to be seen. But something to keep in mind.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with Michelin or Nokian when I get my new tires this year. I have a thing for "underdogs" and Michelin is sort of the 800-pound gorilla in the tire world.
Apr 15, 2006
643 posts
137 upvotes
Damn, Costco doesn't have steel wheels that fit my car. Need 5x130, for a Porsche cayenne. Anyone know where else I can get steel wheels in this bolt pattern? It's similar to the Audi Q7 or vw tourareg.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1825 posts
145 upvotes
Bolton
Desalex wrote:
Sep 9th, 2017 1:31 am
I've had the Blizzak DM-V1 on my older Rav and they've been fantastic. I have Michelin X-ICE Xi3 on my other vehicle and they don't work well at all in snow or ice.
Same experience with Michelins. Thank God I bought them at Costco so was able to switch over to Blizzaks.
Sep 10, 2017
22 posts
5 upvotes
I recently financed a Nissan Rogue S 2017 FWD and intend to keep it for quite a long time. And I am researching if its better to get only the winter tyres or get the rims + tyres (in this case i see that we would need to buy TPMS as well for these tyres). Please let me know if that assumption is correct and what other accessories are mandatory to purchase when going for rims and tyres together. I just checked out tirerack.com and the cost easily goes to 2000 CAD for tyres+rims+TPMS(this alone is 254$ + tax)+tax and only the Blizzark winter tyres for 700$ with tax. Please provide me a good suggestion if I should be buying just the tyres as changing them every year(winter to all season and vice versa) will cost me 80 to 120$ . Considering that 700$ for tyres versus 2000$ for the tyres,rims,tpms, the first one looks very attractive, reasonable from long term perspective.
Jun 6, 2011
110 posts
81 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Rogues2017 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:09 am
I recently financed a Nissan Rogue S 2017 FWD and intend to keep it for quite a long time. And I am researching if its better to get only the winter tyres or get the rims + tyres (in this case i see that we would need to buy TPMS as well for these tyres). Please let me know if that assumption is correct and what other accessories are mandatory to purchase when going for rims and tyres together. I just checked out tirerack.com and the cost easily goes to 2000 CAD for tyres+rims+TPMS(this alone is 254$ + tax)+tax and only the Blizzark winter tyres for 700$ with tax. Please provide me a good suggestion if I should be buying just the tyres as changing them every year(winter to all season and vice versa) will cost me 80 to 120$ . Considering that 700$ for tyres versus 2000$ for the tyres,rims,tpms, the first one looks very attractive, reasonable from long term perspective.
You definitely want to purchase rims, as changing tires adds a lot of annual cost as well as the potential for damage to your rims. The TPMS can be omitted for the winter tires/rims if you want, and I am likely going to do this; this was suggested by the service manage of my Nissan dealership (I'm friends with him).

Depending on where you live All-Weather tires may be an option as a compromise. They aren't true summer or winter tires but do have the snowflake mountain winter tire designation and are fine for use in the summer.
Dec 24, 2011
61 posts
22 upvotes
I have a Nissan Altima 2016 model which is currently installed with all weather tires. Planning to get winter tires as I have started using a car lot this year on highways. Any suggestions for winter tires for Nissan Altima...
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3574 posts
2224 upvotes
GTA
animeshw wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:41 am
I have a Nissan Altima 2016 model which is currently installed with all weather tires. Planning to get winter tires as I have started using a car lot this year on highways. Any suggestions for winter tires for Nissan Altima...
Pretty much any name brand winter tire will work for you if you're in a city. Find something in the right size at a good price. If you plan on driving on unplowed country roads then Nokian is hard to beat. I've also found General Altimax Arctic pretty unstoppable even on 2WD vehicles.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3574 posts
2224 upvotes
GTA
CDRoot wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 2:22 am
Damn, Costco doesn't have steel wheels that fit my car. Need 5x130, for a Porsche cayenne. Anyone know where else I can get steel wheels in this bolt pattern? It's similar to the Audi Q7 or vw tourareg.
You can get alloys for $189USD from tirerack. Get tires there too and it may be cheaper to get them and ship here, or you can pick them up there.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results ... oModClar=S
Dec 24, 2011
61 posts
22 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:47 am
Pretty much any name brand winter tire will work for you if you're in a city. Find something in the right size at a good price. If you plan on driving on unplowed country roads then Nokian is hard to beat. I've also found General Altimax Arctic pretty unstoppable even on 2WD vehicles.
Thank You will shop around....
Mar 25, 2009
11 posts
1 upvote
Please note: the rebate from www.bridgestonerewards.com is restricted to U.S. only.

As per webiste: "Offer excludes commercial, fleet and group purchases, employee changeovers, and warranty replacement purchases. Valid in the U.S. only."

I contacted Bridgestone Canada and was advised that there would be a Canadian rebate starting November 1, 2107. I know Costco has rebates for their tires already; however I found that ZRacing in Mississauga has better pricing for my size (255/50/19). Going to wait until Nov. and hope my size is available.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1730 posts
453 upvotes
Edmonton
Need tires this winter. Can't wait until 2107.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

pepel13