Tags:
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
299 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg

2018 CFL Thread

The preseason is underway, here we go.

Johnny Manziel stole all the pre-training camp headlines but there's a lot of other interesting stuff going on. I can't wait!
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10538 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I'm counting on Lions' QB, Jonathan Jennings, to have a bounce back year and prove all the naysayers wrong!
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
299 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah, it is kind of a make or break year for Jennings. You get the feeling that this is the season where he gets back on track and establishes himself as a bona fide starter, or he gets relegated to that Drew Willy type of backup/starter-in-a-pinch role.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10538 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Heh heh, Drew Willy. I never thought he was ever any good. I thought Nichols would get the starting job the next year after showing WPG what he can do.

I'm surprised this season is starting so early. I hope that means better scheduling.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
299 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg
IIRC the early season was meant to inject more bye weeks into the season to allow more time for player recovery. I kind of like it, I hate having to wait too long for football to resume :)

There have also been rumblings about a TV deal with NFL Network next season that would depend on the season starting and ending earlier, e.g. moving things ahead by a month or something like that. I could handle a Grey Cup earlier in November by a couple of weeks, but I don't think I'd want the season to end in October.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10538 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I like knowing that the Grey Cup game is always the last Sunday in November, but if it means more exposure in the US, then it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Success in the US will mean more acceptance in Canada (ie. southern Ontario ;-)).

But then the XFL wants to run its season after NFL, so there shouldn't be any overlapping with the CFL. Not that I worry about the XFL, but it would be nice for it to be separated.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
299 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg
Regular season kicks off today, woot woot.

Bombers vs. Eskimos tonight. Bombers are in trouble as Matt Nichols is injured and their prospective backup QB Darian Durant walked out on the team after cashing a bonus cheque. (What a jerk.) So now we have Chris Streveler as starting QB, a rookie fresh out of college. As much as I have the Bomber blue glasses on, I don't think tonight will end well for the Bombers... sigh.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10538 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I thought Alex Ross would get the starter's job, having more experience. Mind you, I'm surprised he got signed. I can't think of any QB that Buono has cut who has ever become any good in the league.

Didn't watch, but sounded close.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10538 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I like the new Alouettes helmets, even though they remind me of Philadelphia Eagles.

Drew Willy is still in the league? MTL must be pretty desperate if he's the starter.
[OP]
Nov 23, 2015
299 posts
143 upvotes
Winnipeg
rabbit wrote:
Jun 17th, 2018 3:43 am
I like the new Alouettes helmets, even though they remind me of Philadelphia Eagles.

Drew Willy is still in the league? MTL must be pretty desperate if he's the starter.
Drew Willy is a stop-gap at best. Montreal is rebuilding but as a Bomber fan I can tell you that the rebuild will never be a success as long as they have Joe Mack there to mess things up.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10538 posts
735 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
That was the CFL highlight of the week :D .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)