• Feb 24th, 2018 3:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes

2018 CX5

Hi guys,

Very long time lurker but first time poster. Relied on your expertise for everything the last 3 years. I was wondering if you could help me with my future purchase of a 2018 cx5 GT with technology package. I have extensively researched this car for weeks and can't seem to find anything negative about the current and older models, besides the older ones being a little loud. I was wondering if anyone could shine any light on any unknown issues, especially since the 2018 has cylinder deactivation. I'm looking to get mine for around $38K and change.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
68 replies
Jan 12, 2008
597 posts
135 upvotes
TDot
I wouldn't worry too much about the mechanicals of this car, if anything I would be considering depreciation relative to the CRV.

If I had to pick a compact cuv it would probably be the CX5 because of the driving dynamics and conventional 6AT.
May 27, 2012
124 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
So now days most sub have new type of transmission called CVT, I do not know the technical details but all I know is when I test drove Nissan... I did not like it

One of the main reason I went with Mazda was ....
Normal automatic transmission instead of cvt
Interest was 1%
G vectoring (when ur turning the sub doesn’t shift to sides)
It’s actually very noticeable when on ramps or turns u stay more still instead of ur body leaning
Also works with stopping, u don’t feel that force when u stop
May 27, 2012
124 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
I would consider 2017 cx5 as u can get
Gs + awd + comfort + inactiv for same price as 2018 gx with inactiv without comfort

Reason is lowered interest on 2017
Also if u know any one in ur family who has or had Mazda then u get reduction of one percent interest
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
30855 posts
5694 upvotes
Ottawa
The CX5 was also one of my final choices when buying last year. I opted for the CRV but it was very close. The CX5 did not have carplay and was not as high as the CRV. I liked the styling better than the CRV but, year after year the CRV had better reliability and resale value to the CX5. (resale was important to me only because I only keep vehicles 3 or so years). Honda felt bigger and more comfortable as well. Oh, the CVT on the Honda felt better than the CX5 too. The technology/nav/entertainment system on the CX5 was better than the complicated and not so nice Honda.
Here is a direct comparison between the two. It is 2017 comparison but thye are pretty well the same for 2018.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr ... on-review/
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
adnanakhtar wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 8:28 am
I would consider 2017 cx5 as u can get
Gs + awd + comfort + inactiv for same price as 2018 gx with inactiv without comfort

Reason is lowered interest on 2017
Also if u know any one in ur family who has or had Mazda then u get reduction of one percent interest
Unfortunately my dealer said the Mazda loyality rebate only applies if someone currently has a Mazda and must be original owner. My dad's old 1990 Mazda truck doesn't apply :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6137 posts
1011 upvotes
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:10 pm
Hi guys,

Very long time lurker but first time poster. Relied on your expertise for everything the last 3 years. I was wondering if you could help me with my future purchase of a 2018 cx5 GT with technology package. I have extensively researched this car for weeks and can't seem to find anything negative about the current and older models, besides the older ones being a little loud. I was wondering if anyone could shine any light on any unknown issues, especially since the 2018 has cylinder deactivation. I'm looking to get mine for around $38K and change.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21256 posts
2176 upvotes
Can't get AWD + MT

Deal breaker for me :(
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
george__ wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:47 pm
Can't get AWD + MT

Deal breaker for me :(
All models come with simulated manual shifter which feels incredible every time I've test driven it
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19844 posts
2162 upvotes
Montreal
It's heavy for it's engine. I drove a 6 with the same engine, so I imagine only how slow the Cx-5 is.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
41 posts
5 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:56 pm
It's heavy for it's engine. I drove a 6 with the same engine, so I imagine only how slow the Cx-5 is.
Looks heavy but honestly compared to the hrv, crv and crh the cx5 felt the most alive. ESPECIALLY compared to the Honda's... Honda's Sport more is cx5's eco mode lol
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19844 posts
2162 upvotes
Montreal
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 1:02 pm
Looks heavy but honestly compared to the hrv, crv and crh the cx5 felt the most alive. ESPECIALLY compared to the Honda's... Honda's Sport more is cx5's eco mode lol
How's the cargo space? Think it can fit a stroller, a playard and a few suitcases?
Feb 15, 2003
53 posts
25 upvotes
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 1:02 pm
I test drove the CRV and CX5 back to back and found the CX5 to be much peppier. Not sure how this is possible as the CRV has more power on paper but that was my subjective opinion.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1272 posts
41 upvotes
I read somewhere that cx5 is quicker off the line but the crv is quicker once it's moving. It makes sense since the crvs turbo doesnt kick in until 2500.

At the end I bought the crv as I like the styling inside and out. But what really swayed me was carplay/Android auto. I know Mazda said it will add the feature retroactively but that was 2016 and still nothing. I was pretty set on the cx5 coming from a mazda3