• Feb 23rd, 2018 11:47 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1653 posts
232 upvotes
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:16 pm
I'm interested as well. I'll be buying it from Stratford Ontario but any warranty issues I'll most likely be doing from the London dealerships due to proximity
Stratford Mazda service is exceptional. I live in Chatham but if I end up getting a CX-5 I'll likely buy in Stratford just because I really like them.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1653 posts
232 upvotes
starkickers wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:44 am
How is the rear leg room? I haven't yet had a chance to see the Tiguan for myself, but I've sat in a CX-5 and the rear leg room is a little worse than my current Forester.
I felt that it was all right but I don't have a lot to compare it to. We have a minivan and so the middle row legroom isn't a fair comparison. I'd say the second row is fairly spacious and I'm 6' 175lbs. The third row is completely unusable for an adult, even in a pinch.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
22 posts
2 upvotes
tim-x wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:54 pm
Stratford Mazda service is exceptional. I live in Chatham but if I end up getting a CX-5 I'll likely buy in Stratford just because I really like them.
I completely agree, their so much more friendly and less pushy then probart Mazda. It's unbelievable. I dealt with Brent. Complete gentleman. We discussed final pricing and let him know I'll reach out to him closer to the purchase date and we said talk to you then and has not contacted me since. Probart has pestered me constantly on top of trying to rip me off and pulling ridiculous salesmen tricks.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1653 posts
232 upvotes
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:16 pm

I completely agree, their so much more friendly and less pushy then probart Mazda. It's unbelievable. I dealt with Brent. Complete gentleman. We discussed final pricing and let him know I'll reach out to him closer to the purchase date and we said talk to you then and has not contacted me since. Probart has pestered me constantly on top of trying to rip me off and pulling ridiculous salesmen tricks.
I don't know much about their sales department but I know their service department is top notch.
Apr 4, 2017
1 posts
London
Was there a difference in the price between Probart mazda and Stratford?
Sep 28, 2011
328 posts
80 upvotes
Lethbridge
TheOneBarton wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:12 pm
Can you elaborate what was the issues at the service department?
They put cheaper winter tires than what was specified in the contract (and what I'd paid for). Noticed when I was filling it up at the gas station after I picked it up. Had to go back and it took them a good chunk of the morning to slap the proper ones on the steel rims. That took a couple of trips.

When I had them install the trailer hitch, the tech forgot to remove all the screws from an inner panel in the trunk and the piece broke when he pulled with all his might. They used "It's pretty dark in the service bay. " as an excuse. They had to order a new part and book another appointment.

When I bought the car, I was originally going for a used GS, but they offered a new GX. When I asked what the differences were, the lack of a backup camera never came up. And Mazda's made some errors in the brochures too. I wasn't too thrilled about no backup camera (on a 2016.5!) and we agreed to split the cost of an after market unit (I pay for the camera, they install). But I'm worried they're gonna break something else, so I may let it go.

It's not a lot, but we've only had the car a few months. And the time involved in missing work made it a pain. Will probably take it to an indépendant for servicing.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
22 posts
2 upvotes
angrydingo wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 10:57 pm
They put cheaper winter tires than what was specified in the contract (and what I'd paid for). Noticed when I was filling it up at the gas station after I picked it up. Had to go back and it took them a good chunk of the morning to slap the proper ones on the steel rims. That took a couple of trips.

When I had them install the trailer hitch, the tech forgot to remove all the screws from an inner panel in the trunk and the piece broke when he pulled with all his might. They used "It's pretty dark in the service bay. " as an excuse. They had to order a new part and book another appointment.

When I bought the car, I was originally going for a used GS, but they offered a new GX. When I asked what the differences were, the lack of a backup camera never came up. And Mazda's made some errors in the brochures too. I wasn't too thrilled about no backup camera (on a 2016.5!) and we agreed to split the cost of an after market unit (I pay for the camera, they install). But I'm worried they're gonna break something else, so I may let it go.

It's not a lot, but we've only had the car a few months. And the time involved in missing work made it a pain. Will probably take it to an indépendant for servicing.
Wow that's terrible. Are you not able to use another dealer? As long as it's warranty type issues. Also how has your paint held up? I've been reading that Mazdas have real thin paint and it's starting to get to me lol
Sep 28, 2011
328 posts
80 upvotes
Lethbridge
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 11:25 pm
Wow that's terrible. Are you not able to use another dealer? As long as it's warranty type issues. Also how has your paint held up? I've been reading that Mazdas have real thin paint and it's starting to get to me lol
The next dealer is a 2.5hr drive from me, so I'm kinda stuck with them. Funny thing is, they claim to be the top Mazda dealer in the country. I really hope that's a lie.

So far the paint is good. I notice the plastic cladding is fading more than I'd like.

The main issue now is the rear door behind the driver has trouble closing when it's colder than -30. I think the little white piece of plastic that latches onto the frame is defective.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
22 posts
2 upvotes
angrydingo wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:01 am
The next dealer is a 2.5hr drive from me, so I'm kinda stuck with them. Funny thing is, they claim to be the top Mazda dealer in the country. I really hope that's a lie.

So far the paint is good. I notice the plastic cladding is fading more than I'd like.

The main issue now is the rear door behind the driver has trouble closing when it's colder than -30. I think the little white piece of plastic that latches onto the frame is defective.
I assume plastic cladding you mean the black plastic over the wheel wells correct? That's very good to hear about the paint though. Regarding the frozen door, I'm not defending Mazda but I'm sure -30 weather would impact any moving mechanism on any car
Jan 8, 2009
890 posts
204 upvotes
Ontario
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:16 pm
Probart Mazda has relatively new owners from Calgary who are very helpful and hands on. They are working on constantly improving their service. If you have any issues ask for Lance and I am sure he will sort everything out for you and give you a good deal. If possible it is better to service your vehicle where you bought it as you have more goodwill credit in the bank should you have issues dealing with the manufacturer down the road.
Dec 17, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hey there! Even i was planning to buy the 2018 CX-5 GT. Have you narrowed down the dealership from where you would be getting it? Any suggestions?
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:10 pm
Hi guys,

Very long time lurker but first time poster. Relied on your expertise for everything the last 3 years. I was wondering if you could help me with my future purchase of a 2018 cx5 GT with technology package. I have extensively researched this car for weeks and can't seem to find anything negative about the current and older models, besides the older ones being a little loud. I was wondering if anyone could shine any light on any unknown issues, especially since the 2018 has cylinder deactivation. I'm looking to get mine for around $38K and change.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Swims read upside down is still swimS !! :)
Sep 28, 2011
328 posts
80 upvotes
Lethbridge
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:12 am
I assume plastic cladding you mean the black plastic over the wheel wells correct? That's very good to hear about the paint though. Regarding the frozen door, I'm not defending Mazda but I'm sure -30 weather would impact any moving mechanism on any car
Yeah, and on the bumper.

As for the cold, it's only that one door, which is why I think it's that part. The others are fine. Still happy with how it handles too. Great car, not so great dealer experience.

And the 2017/2018 models dealt with most of my complaints I had.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
22 posts
2 upvotes
johninflamez wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:59 pm
Hey there! Even i was planning to buy the 2018 CX-5 GT. Have you narrowed down the dealership from where you would be getting it? Any suggestions?
Hey there John! Depends where and when you're buying it. Feel free to direct message me or email me and we can talk CX-5. I'm obsessed with this car and have researched it for weeks.
Sep 28, 2011
328 posts
80 upvotes
Lethbridge
Canadaftw101 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:14 am
Hey there John! Depends where and when you're buying it. Feel free to direct message me or email me and we can talk CX-5. I'm obsessed with this car and have researched it for weeks.
It's a great choice. Mine always puts a smile on my face when I get to drive it (one car household).
Apr 20, 2008
271 posts
40 upvotes
I want to lease a cuv. Wondering if this is better than crv? Does the gt has roof railing?