Personal Finance

2018 Federal Budget - Canada's first full-blown social justice budget

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2018 9:39 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5092 posts
1772 upvotes
So much mismanagement already and taxpayers keep having to pay for our PM's luxury travel and chefs on the taxpayer dime. While taxpayers are working hard, our PM appears to be hardly working. Let's hope they don't do anything too crazy in the budget. There have already been enough casualties and fiscal mismanagement so far. And, no, the budget doesn't just balance itself.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1004 upvotes
Houston, TX
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 1:01 pm
Gender equality and a national pharmacare plan are expected to be two of the cornerstones of the federal budget when it is presented in the House of Commons this afternoon.

http://calgarysun.com/news/national/lib ... fda3ebbe91

Now I see a motive for Ontario health minister to resign ...to get a chair in a committee who will oversee this TrudeaCare money flows...
Make the face great again
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2057 posts
1531 upvotes
Montreal
houska wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 6:23 pm
Well, my wife and I don't have children. Should we get offended we're not getting an equivalent-to-parental leave, or that we don't get various financial benefits or discounts for parents or families? Or should families that homeschool (or private school) be upset they don't get the same governmental contributions to their childrens' education a
You get no benefit from family leave, just like you get no benefit from roads in the Yukon or embassies in <some country you'll never visit>. We can debate the appropriateness of general programs, but at least those programs are neutral in nature: they don't force you to order your life in the way that the government sees fit in order to get the benefits.

Imagine if toll roads going to Greenpeace events were cheaper but those going to restaurants more expensive? Is that an OK "nudge"?

And for the record: I'm not aware of any "discounts" that adults with families get (please let me know of any!).

As for schools, of course the government subsidizes private schools to the same level that public schools get per pupil. That's only fair. It's why private schools only cost $4,000/year. (In Quebec at least. I hear that this may not be true in all of Canada, in which case you guys should definitely complain. But that's another thread.)
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
Altera wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 1:08 pm
Instead of couples thinking about the financial situation logically and having the individual who makes less income stay home with the child, whether it be man or woman ...
You can look at some threads in RFD about fathers taking time off work to parent their kids, and there are people on here that say 'I'd never do it, you won't get hired back' or 'It'll hurt their careers' or almost to the effect of "we don't hire women of childbearing age for this reason' etc. etc. etc. And yet for women, that's just an expectation right now (of course, partly biologically driven for the first part but largely societal). Women will systemically struggle to make the same or higher income because they take on the primary child rearing role, or are expected to take this on themselves. And even beyond that first year or two - I bet its mostly the women who take time off work to stay home with a sick child, or the women who are spending most of the time looking for March Break or Summer camps. Its changing - which is great, but we're not there yet.

It may appear to be a 'logical financial decision' but the system is set up so that the woman, will almost always be on the lower end. And while there are more and more men taking leave, for some a 'long' leave' for many is 6 weeks at most - which isn't much and often just the first 6 weeks which at least for me, was some of the easier 6 weeks of being a parent!

Anyways, as an aside, I saw gender equity and national pharmacare mentioned in the budget run up and instantly thought I'm pretty sure some RFD'ers will be having heart attacks later today. Hopefully they can find private health care providers available to treat them ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1730 posts
760 upvotes
Calgary
lol Hardworking Canadians have created XXXXX jobs and we're going to gouge them good....

edit:

"Based on evidence, not emotion."

Man, that statement has always annoyed me since the liberals started to use it. Evidence... is quantified and valued on the basis of ideology and what if that ideology is emotional? Drrr.
Last edited by wm009 on Feb 27th, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1730 posts
760 upvotes
Calgary
Let's all applaud those reports and quotas on the characteristics that people are born with.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
asa1973 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 1:43 pm
Now I see a motive for Ontario health minister to resign ...to get a chair in a committee who will oversee this TrudeaCare money flows...
Eric Hoskins, who resigned his position as Ontario's health minister Monday, will chair an advisory council tasked with performing an economic assessment and running consultations on the feasibility of a national pharmacare program.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/po ... e38116231/
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2057 posts
1531 upvotes
Montreal
The spending above represents over $157 for every man, woman, and child in Canada. $628 for a family of four.

I would rather have had my $157 than all that stuff above.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2954 posts
1462 upvotes
Burlington
As an upper-middle class white man I feel like this budget didn't represent my interests.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5638 posts
2243 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 10:18 am
As an upper-middle class white man I feel like this budget didn't represent my interests.
You can get 5 weeks of paternity leave if you have a kid starting next year, without affecting your partner's leave. There, everybody gets something!