• May 5th, 2018 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11295 posts
6295 upvotes
Ontario
Another Canadian review. Now comparing it to Camry.

I know RFD was quick to jump to conclusions and call it a turd, as compared to Camry. However, without driving any of them, I'd have to agree with him. Accord is more attractive than Camry to my taste
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11295 posts
6295 upvotes
Ontario
geokilla wrote: Disappointed only the EX-L and Touring trims have heated steering wheel and rear seats. It's pretty important to have these two features in our next vehicles if it is available.
Apparently its not even available in new Camry in any trim level, which is its direct rival. So at least you have an option.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
tokinup wrote: In the us, ex and exl trims get blind spot and rear cross traffic alert. We don't. This sucks.

Even the 18 camry gives you these in lower trims.
If only the camry had android auto, id have an easy decision.
Went with the Camry because of this (and the tremendously ugly Accord rear). I'd need to pay $5k more to get an Accord with BSI and Rear Cross Traffic Alert compared to Toyota. Ridiculous. I can live without Android Auto because I have a mount for my phone. Android Auto is a perk for me but BSI/RCTA can help prevent accidents. Honda has lost their minds. I've had Acura and two Hondas and now they've lost my business.
Jan 22, 2009
649 posts
142 upvotes
Takada, congrats on your camry! How are you liking it? Also, were you able to get anywhere near invoice?!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
tokinup wrote: Takada, congrats on your camry! How are you liking it? Also, were you able to get anywhere near invoice?!
No, I paid 4.6% above invoice (per Unhaggle). I got $1700 off MSRP on a Camry SE+Upgrade offered right off the bat. However, they gave me a much better trade-in valuation (by about $1000-$2000) compared to two Honda dealers I talked to so I could compare trade-in valuations. So it worked out, and considering it's a new model I decided not to waste more time haggling. Also got 15,250 aeroplan points so that's another ~$150 there. I probably could've got a little more off but I decided not to.

As for the car, I'm super happy with it. It rides better than my old Accord. The ride, even on the SE, is very comfy yet sporty. I test drove the LE too though and it really handles bumps like a dream so if you live in an area with really bad roads then the LE may be preferable. It's a bit slow off the line but once it gets going, it's pretty decent for passing and whatnot. The safety features work well - BSI, RCTA, lane departure, etc. I've heard some online complaints about the audio system, but really it's perfectly fine for me. Kind of bassy at default settings actually. I'd advise testing your bluetooth with it though. It works perfectly with my Android phone but my wife's Galaxy drops occasionally for some reason. The ONE thing I don't like about the car is Entune and Scout GPS. It's honestly terrible and pretty much unusable for GPS purposes. I don't have any issue with mounting my phone on the vents though but if your phone has short battery life and you use Google maps a lot then you probably want to go for a car with Android Auto or Carplay.

Compared to the Accord, reviews have mentioned the ride is better on the Camry especially the Accord Sport which has 19" wheels and I live in an area with bad roads so that was a big factor. Also, as mentione the BSI and RCTA being available on a trim $5k cheaper. Plus, I really don't like the Accord rear and the chrome on the front. I would've strongly considered the Accord Sport with the blackout chrome front but they stuck 19" wheels that give it a firm ride apparently and again.. no BSI/RCTA. The Accord has AA/Carplay though, which is big for some people. Also, it's apparently sportier and I do like the conservative interior look better in the Accord. And it has the bigger trunk and rear passenger space I believe. The Camry interior is still very, very nice though and more than roomy enough for me. Way better than everything else in the class except the new Accord IMO.
Jan 22, 2009
649 posts
142 upvotes
Takada, thank you so much for that review. I think you just convinced me to buy an 18 se. The camry will likely have better fuel efficiency than the turbo also. Are you finding the city mileage decent? Thanks.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
If I decide not to get a Tesla Model 3 (due to cost and/or financing interest rates but likely the wording of the ESA) or a comparable BEV (maybe with a solid state battery from Toyota) and defer a new car purchase, I will likely pick up a used Accord hybrid or 2.0L touring or at least an exl in two or three year's time.

I watched a few videos on YouTube and the Accord looked much nicer in them compared to the photographs during unveiling.

Ventilated seats, HUD, low speed follow (our RAV4 acc cuts off at 40 kmh just found out today on the highway), heated steering wheel. Car reviews also said the Accord was still more engaging to drive compared to the Camry.

Just brought three of our cars to the gas station this evening and driving my 02 Civic 5MT felt much more fun that our 11 Accord coupe 5AT and 16 RAV4H in eco mode. I hope the Accord even with 10AT and turbo will be lots of fun to drive.

Hope BEVs will feel like driving a manual transmission car with instant torque.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
tokinup wrote: Takada, thank you so much for that review. I think you just convinced me to buy an 18 se. The camry will likely have better fuel efficiency than the turbo also. Are you finding the city mileage decent? Thanks.
Sorry, I haven't done enough pure city driving to see. I do mostly highway (95%) for my commute. I am getting an average of 6.0L/100KM during those trips. The new Camry's highway rating is 6.0L/100KM FYI.

edit: Did another commute today with no traffic - 5.4L/100KM.
Apr 11, 2009
676 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone see the prices on Honda.ca? The prices came out: Touring 2.0 for $38,790 and Sport 2.0 for $34,090
This car is really really attractive feature wise....I was looking really hard into a 2018 A4 Technik but the touring has everything that the A4 doesn't have unless you add like 2K in packages....
This car is really making it hard to choose those entry luxury level german cars lol
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
2087 posts
2433 upvotes
Ottawa
sandini_power wrote: Did anyone see the prices on Honda.ca? The prices came out: Touring 2.0 for $38,790 and Sport 2.0 for $34,090
This car is really really attractive feature wise....I was looking really hard into a 2018 A4 Technik but the touring has everything that the A4 doesn't have unless you add like 2K in packages....
This car is really making it hard to choose those entry luxury level german cars lol
A4 is garbage. The Accord Touring is a much better deal. If you want to go German entry-level, it's 3-series or bust.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sandini_power wrote: Did anyone see the prices on Honda.ca? The prices came out: Touring 2.0 for $38,790 and Sport 2.0 for $34,090
They're two different classes of cars. The A4 is a premium sedan, the Accord is a family sedan. It will almost always have more features than the A4 at the same price, but it's the little details, quality of leather, the soft touch plastic, etc., that makes a luxury car, a luxury car.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Apr 11, 2009
676 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote: They're two different classes of cars. The A4 is a premium sedan, the Accord is a family sedan. It will almost always have more features than the A4 at the same price, but it's the little details, quality of leather, the soft touch plastic, etc., that makes a luxury car, a luxury car.
Yea they are 2 diff class, I also have the Accord on my list as well lol (Accord is the only non-luxury brand I have)
I could pay a lot more for the A4 or I could save a lot and go with the Accord
The only thing I really don't like is the front...esp the Honda Sensing sensor on the lower grill/bumper......it looks like an after thought and just slapped it on
Sep 21, 2017
201 posts
346 upvotes
sandini_power wrote: Yea they are 2 diff class, I also have the Accord on my list as well lol (Accord is the only non-luxury brand I have)
I could pay a lot more for the A4 or I could save a lot and go with the Accord
The only thing I really don't like is the front...esp the Honda Sensing sensor on the lower grill/bumper......it looks like an after thought and just slapped it on
Accord 2.0T Touring is on my list too. The only thing I didn't like is the wheels of touring, I would like to go with Accord sport wheels with 2.0T touring or buy a new set of wheels.
Apr 11, 2009
676 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
oooo0000 wrote: Accord 2.0T Touring is on my list too. The only thing I didn't like is the wheels of touring, I would like to go with Accord sport wheels with 2.0T touring or buy a new set of wheels.
Agreed.
Those Touring wheels just don't look aggressive at all. The Sport ones look good and the previous gen ones look real good...kind of reminds me of the sport package AMG rims you see all the C-Class on the street has.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
0-60 in 5.5s for the 2.0T auto as per car and driver review
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1667 posts
532 upvotes
GTA
Wish it had a traditional mechanical shifter instead of this electronic button shifter...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6252 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Another example of why small turbo fours are no replacement for a V6. Less weight and more gears and only a negligible benefit. I wonder how the V6 would fared if Honda had given it the same treatment as Toyota did with their V6.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19155 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sandikosh wrote: Another example of why small turbo fours are no replacement for a V6. Less weight and more gears and only a negligible benefit. I wonder how the V6 would fared if Honda had given it the same treatment as Toyota did with their V6.
Honda doesn't have a modern V6 though. The J35, despite having been updated, is ancient. Just look at the J35 being used in the TLX and RLX and the performance and efficiency it brings to those two vehicles.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Honda doesn't have a modern V6 though. The J35, despite having been updated, is ancient. Just look at the J35 being used in the TLX and RLX and the performance and efficiency it brings to those two vehicles.
I thought this turbo for Honda was new too?