Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19144 posts
2699 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Sat in one over the weekend at the dealership. Lots of space inside. But what I don't like is the lack of foot space under the front seats for backseat passengers. Lots of legroom but no room to stretch your feet under the front seats.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
Can't you lift the driver seat up with the 12 way power seat?

Are you switching to Honda?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
I guess it's time to turn the question around and ask the grown ups, lol. Majority of the discussion on a Civic forum below discusses performance and handling.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/2018-civi ... ord.16050/

At least in Canada, the Civic doesn't seem to have the following (of course some of these may become available in the refreshed '19 Civic):

1. heated steering wheel (about $1k CAD option for the Accord Sport)
  2. HUD (Accord Touring only so can be left off)
  3. traffic sign recognition
  4. volume knob (lol, good observation from that forum)
  5. blind spot indicator/rear cross alert
  6. Homelink-enabled rear view mirror
  7. 192 hp vs 174 in Civic and more torque.
  8. driver’s seat with 8-way power adjustment only available in the Civic Touring trim (and available in Accord EX and up I believe)

Thoughts?
Banned
Jan 18, 2012
21 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
So the US '18 civic has a volume knob and the '18 CDN edition doesn't? Well that's some bullshit right there! It actually makes the Accord more attractive to me for having this. I'm currently debating between the two. I don't need the extra space the Accord has, but it's media system and finish seem superior.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19144 posts
2699 upvotes
Poormond Hill
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:19 pm
Can't you lift the driver seat up with the 12 way power seat?

Are you switching to Honda?
No. Family went to look at a CRV and I took a look at the Accord. Not impressed with the droopy styling front and back. I sat in the driver seat and adjusted it to my position and then went to the back seat.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
pdntspa wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:15 am
So the US '18 civic has a volume knob and the '18 CDN edition doesn't? Well that's some bullshit right there! It actually makes the Accord more attractive to me for having this. I'm currently debating between the two. I don't need the extra space the Accord has, but it's media system and finish seem superior.
No. Most of what I listed are not available on the CIvic, maybe except for #8. Homelink is not a biggie if it is just a GDO.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
1031 posts
335 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:00 am
No. Most of what I listed are not available on the CIvic, maybe except for #8. Homelink is not a biggie if it is just a GDO.
yeah, i used to really like homelink instead of using my own GDO.
but with all the new wireless GDO's, i suspect i would be opening my garage door through the phone apps more often in the future.
Jan 2, 2009
242 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:09 pm
I guess it's time to turn the question around and ask the grown ups, lol. Majority of the discussion on a Civic forum below discusses performance and handling.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/2018-civi ... ord.16050/

At least in Canada, the Civic doesn't seem to have the following (of course some of these may become available in the refreshed '19 Civic):

1. heated steering wheel (about $1k CAD option for the Accord Sport)
  2. HUD (Accord Touring only so can be left off)
  3. traffic sign recognition
  4. volume knob (lol, good observation from that forum)
  5. blind spot indicator/rear cross alert
  6. Homelink-enabled rear view mirror
  7. 192 hp vs 174 in Civic and more torque.
  8. driver’s seat with 8-way power adjustment only available in the Civic Touring trim (and available in Accord EX and up I believe)

Thoughts?
It depends on which model Accord you are comparing with which model Civic. On paper, it seems like the Accord has more features, but a lot of the features you're listing only apply to the Touring model. When I compared the Civic Si with the Accord Sport, I found the Civic to be a better value. If people are cross shopping between the two, it'll probably come down to aesthetics, interior size and probably finance/lease rates.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
07Ex wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:47 pm
It depends on which model Accord you are comparing with which model Civic. On paper, it seems like the Accord has more features, but a lot of the features you're listing only apply to the Touring model. When I compared the Civic Si with the Accord Sport, I found the Civic to be a better value. If people are cross shopping between the two, it'll probably come down to aesthetics, interior size and probably finance/lease rates.
#2 and #5 are only on the Accord Touring.

That's the reason I'm asking. Some 2016 EX-T CPO's are about $21k on Honda's website with a 7 year/160k km Honda Plus warranty, so about half that of the brand new Accord. Just really not sure if the CVT fluid has to be changed sooner than the 10 speed AT in the Accord Touring.

Like yourself, I would cross comparison shop the Accord and Civic since they have basically the same engine design and transmission and a lot of the features listed aren't really deal breakers. Of course, if I were to compare the 1.5T Civic with the 2.0T, I would definitely go for the Accord.
Apr 11, 2009
73 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:53 pm

That's the reason I'm asking. Some 2016 EX-T CPO's are about $21k on Honda's website with a 7 year/160k km Honda Plus warranty, so about half that of the brand new Accord. Just really not sure if the CVT fluid has to be changed sooner than the 10 speed AT in the Accord Touring.

Like yourself, I would cross comparison shop the Accord and Civic since they have basically the same engine design and transmission and a lot of the features listed aren't really deal breakers. Of course, if I were to compare the 1.5T Civic with the 2.0T, I would definitely go for the Accord.
alanbrenton, just choose the accord lol don't compare it to the civic anymore. I know you want the accord 2.0 touring Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes don't let the civic tempt you :twisted:

I would do the same as you too, compare the Civic and the Accord. But I would most likely in the end choose the Accord.
If the Accord 2.0 could of arrived earlier I would of hands down sign for it and be on the Accord bandwagon....signed for the A4 instead lol
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
sandini_power wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:12 pm
alanbrenton, just choose the accord lol don't compare it to the civic anymore. I know you want the accord 2.0 touring Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes don't let the civic tempt you :twisted:

I would do the same as you too, compare the Civic and the Accord. But I would most likely in the end choose the Accord.
If the Accord 2.0 could of arrived earlier I would of hands down sign for it and be on the Accord bandwagon....signed for the A4 instead lol
Congratulations on your new drive!

Haha. I had test driven the Q60 2.0T yesterday (I didn't drive like crazy of course) and based on HP and torque specs (about 50 more HP on the Accord and about the same torque), the Accord 2.0T with the 10 speed (skipping gears) should be faster. :) The Q50/60 at $38k is a good deal but safety technologies like ACC are not included and cannot be purchased for the 2.0T base models.

I think I will take over a lease in a year or two. Besides purchasing a BEV new, I think we are at the point where even used cars 2018 and newer will have pretty much the safety technologies I will desire. Still have to get rid of my 02 Civic haha one of these days.
Jan 2, 2009
242 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:53 pm

I agree with you ... a lot of these features aren't deal breakers. For me personally, the Civic makes more sense for 2 reasons ... size and cost. I am not looking for something with a big back seat or big trunk, so the Civic would do. I've been driving a Civic for 10 years, and it's been more than adequate for two adults and one child, even on long trips to the West coast and the US. Cost is also a big factor. Not only is the Accord more expensive, even in the 1.5 trim level, but the likelihood of Honda offering a deal or lower finance rates is slim.

Now, I can't speak for the automatic transmissions, because I was looking at both cars with a manual transmission. I've never owned an automatic car, so as long as manufacturers still offer manuals, I will continue to buy them, even though they are slower 0-60 and consume more gas. :)
Apr 11, 2009
73 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:17 pm
Congratulations on your new drive!

Haha. I had test driven the Q60 2.0T yesterday (I didn't drive like crazy of course) and based on HP and torque specs (about 50 more HP on the Accord and about the same torque), the Accord 2.0T with the 10 speed (skipping gears) should be faster. :) The Q50/60 at $38k is a good deal but safety technologies like ACC are not included and cannot be purchased for the 2.0T base models.

I think I will take over a lease in a year or two. Besides purchasing a BEV new, I think we are at the point where even used cars 2018 and newer will have pretty much the safety technologies I will desire. Still have to get rid of my 02 Civic haha one of these days.
One thing that really sold me for the Accord is the safety features. Like others have said...blah blah blah can't compare Accord to luxury brands...but w/e. For the A4 it would cost an extra $2100 for the advance safety features. I said forget that lol

These days all those safety tech and features are pretty much standard on a lot of brands which is awesome!

Oh wow you still have the 02 civic? I was still driving our 01 civic but the transmission finally gave and we got the 15 civic instead. One thing I will miss from a Honda is Lane Watch, I had that on all the time - made weaving in and out through traffic a breeze lol
#Civicnation
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
^ It just won't die (suspension is getting creaky) but I'll assess the household's needs when my daughter goes to university next year. Who knows, I might hit 300k eventually.

Just found out that ACC was just made available on the 2016 Accord and Civic (perhaps on other models too but I would only consider these two for now). That's one of the best invention after electronic stability control, traction and ABS but man, these Honda's sure retain their values.

Will also consider the IS. I can wait until the Civic goes, if at all.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 14th, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
41493 posts
10187 upvotes
07Ex wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:35 pm
I agree with you ... a lot of these features aren't deal breakers. For me personally, the Civic makes more sense for 2 reasons ... size and cost. I am not looking for something with a big back seat or big trunk, so the Civic would do. I've been driving a Civic for 10 years, and it's been more than adequate for two adults and one child, even on long trips to the West coast and the US. Cost is also a big factor. Not only is the Accord more expensive, even in the 1.5 trim level, but the likelihood of Honda offering a deal or lower finance rates is slim.

Now, I can't speak for the automatic transmissions, because I was looking at both cars with a manual transmission. I've never owned an automatic car, so as long as manufacturers still offer manuals, I will continue to buy them, even though they are slower 0-60 and consume more gas. :)
^ I'm sure most would be okay with 0-100 one second slower, 1-2 MPG hit but 15-20% more power.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/archiv ... 09433.html