• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 5:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2877 posts
210 upvotes

2018 Mazda CX3 GS FWD Rattle Ticking Noise from engine

So the wife has had the cx3 since March 2018; car has been great and not an issue with it. Being one to have OCD and like things done right I've done oil changes myself at 1000, 5000, 10k, 15k km on it myself using oem oil and filter for the skyactive engine. For the 20k oil change ended up taking it to the dealer as weather did not allow to lay on the ground outside and i was just tired.

Aside for getting the car back with mudstains on the driver door speaker/door sill and matts; I also got the car back with this horrid noise which comes from the driver side engine area almost sounding like valve tick, or a messed up chain. Heard it about 4-5 days after the oil change appt. Something I would not expect from a car with 20k km and less then a year of use. Oil level is fine and car drives fine however hearing that ticking/rattle doesnt leave me happy.

Was hoping if anyone has encountered a similar issue with their mazda as looking around ive seen similar issue mentioned but no update on a solution. I've made an appt with the dealer to get it looked at but their first available is not for 2 weeks and for some unknown reason they won't just have me leave the car there and be issued a loaner until its resolved.

Sidenote...would one think the foam pieces on the 2 sides of the air intake plenum meant to be left there or removed upon predelivery? Just noticed them this evening.. & yes its serpentine belt almost looks like its rubbed on something on half of it(again not expected on a 20k car)
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
7 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10305 posts
9474 upvotes
Oakville
You could be more aggressive with the dealer. Throw a fit at their service desk saying you had a oil change there and now your engine is making weird ticking noises. They may bump you up just to shut you up.
Jul 24, 2014
152 posts
105 upvotes
Westmount, QC
We have a Mazda 3 Skyactiv and also have the same sound. It’s not noticeable inside the car but I can hear the ticking if I open the hood.

I believe it’s related to the the fuel injectors / fuel pump. Most direct injected cars have that same ticking noise.

I believe there were some concerns when the FR-S and BRZ was released as well regarding ticking noises but it was due to it being port and direct injected.

Edit: Forgot to ask, do you also hear this ticking noise while inside driving / idling the car or just when you open the hood?
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10305 posts
9474 upvotes
Oakville
seeparks wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:19 am
We have a Mazda 3 Skyactiv and also have the same sound. It’s not noticeable inside the car but I can hear the ticking if I open the hood.

I believe it’s related to the the fuel injectors / fuel pump. Most direct injected cars have that same ticking noise.

I believe there were some concerns when the FR-S and BRZ was released as well regarding ticking noises but it was due to it being port and direct injected.

Edit: Forgot to ask, do you also hear this ticking noise while inside driving / idling the car or just when you open the hood?
+1 I wouldn't be surprised if this it. The new skyactive pretty much acts like a diesel with its HCCI combustion. Maybe OP was listening a little more after it was at the dealer.
Jan 23, 2017
962 posts
784 upvotes
Calgary
Can confirm, my 2015 Mazda3 with the same 2.0L engine sounds the exact same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2877 posts
210 upvotes
Hearing its not only me puts my mind at ease a little bit. Still puzzled as to why i never noticed it before though until its first dealer visit. I started investigating the noise after sitting at a red; idling and could hear it from inside. Ive had the car with the hood open running before and it never sounded like a diesel as far as im aware lol.

Nevertheless thanks for the replies folks; makes me worry a bit less.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Oct 24, 2018
100 posts
77 upvotes
Sounds like fuel injectors to me, are you sure the noise wasn't there before the oil change?