• Nov 17th, 2017 12:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
xrvr wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:25 pm
While car makers are "simplifying" it, common folks are being robbed left, right and center.

Open EVSE 40A DIY kit will cost you C$331, plus cable.
How much is the cable? I research it already. By the time you pay for the cable, it cost almost $500. You can buy juicebox pro 40 for $1,000 and EV rebate give you $500 back. I rather get the juicebox pro 40 for almost same or little more than the Open EVSE.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:53 pm
See this is why I have been confused...it is not a charger then. Just an adapter.
Every EV vehicle equipped with onboard charger. Since the onboard charger doesn't accept 120V or 240V AC directly, you need a device (EVSE) in between. 18 Leaf comes with the device.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
8982 posts
575 upvotes
Mississauga
bose wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:10 pm
Every EV vehicle equipped with onboard charger. Since the onboard charger doesn't accept 120V or 240V AC directly, you need a device (EVSE) in between. 18 Leaf comes with the device.
Remains to be seen, its on the site, but still skeptical. They could say its an error and pull it from source material. I haven't seen it in any of the Nissan Leaf news or videos online.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1360 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
bose wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:00 pm
How much is the cable? I research it already. By the time you pay for the cable, it cost almost $500. You can buy juicebox pro 40 for $1,000 and EV rebate give you $500 back. I rather get the juicebox pro 40 for almost same or little more than the Open EVSE.
Another very important factor is that retail EVSEs like the JuiceBox Pro are UL/CSA certified. The Electrical Safety Authority will not pass your inspection if you're using un-certified devices.
bose wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:10 pm

Incorrect. The onboard charger definitely accepts AC power "directly". The J1772 standard requires additional checks/control and hence the EVSE -- which is a glorified relay/switch with added safety features such as a AFCI (arc fault circuit interruptor) is needed -- not to do any conversion of any kind. The power entering the EV from a Level 1/2 charger is unchanged, standard AC wall power at whatever amperage the EVSE can provide and whatever the EV requests (the EV is what controls the flow).
Home automation, CanadaHiFi Magazine, photography, EVs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:29 pm
Remains to be seen, its on the site, but still skeptical. They could say its an error and pull it from source material. I haven't seen it in any of the Nissan Leaf news or videos online.
There is nothing skeptical about this. As far as I know, all EV comes with an L1 portable charge cable. 18 Leaf happen to come with L1&L2 portable charge cable. In US, this combo portable charge cable is part of technology package but Nissan Canada is including with all trim in Canada, same thing as winter package for all Canadian trims.
Last edited by bose on Nov 8th, 2017 9:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
JPTN wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:02 am
Another very important factor is that retail EVSEs like the JuiceBox Pro are UL/CSA certified. The Electrical Safety Authority will not pass your inspection if you're using un-certified devices.

Incorrect. The onboard charger definitely accepts AC power "directly". The J1772 standard requires additional checks/control and hence the EVSE -- which is a glorified relay/switch with added safety features such as a AFCI (arc fault circuit interruptor) is needed -- not to do any conversion of any kind. The power entering the EV from a Level 1/2 charger is unchanged, standard AC wall power at whatever amperage the EVSE can provide and whatever the EV requests (the EV is what controls the flow).
I understood how the EVSE works. I meant to make a point that even if your vehicle has an onboard charging system, you can't connect your EV vehicle directly to your household plug without this type of interface.
Jul 25, 2016
26 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
gr33nscr33n wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:36 am
For those who have pre-ordered their Leaf and will finance the purchase, what are the rates that are being offered when the time comes to take delivery?
I asked my dealer yesterday, and they said all they can share right now is MSRP. No finance or lease info is available! I guess the more people like us that reserve, will make the number less attractive.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3675 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread but one thing that's a shame with the 2018 Leaf in Canada is that the MSRP has gone up across the board while the MSRP went down in the US:

2017 MSRP Canada
S : $33,998, SV : $37,398, SL : $40,548
2018 MSRP Canada
S : $35,998, SV : $39,598, SL : $41,998

2017 MSRP USA
S : $30,680, SV : $34,200, SL : $36,790
2018 MSRP USA
S : $29,990, SV : $32,490, SL : $36,200

Canada does seem to get a good price vs US and I think they might be better equipped but it's a shame they didn't follow the MSRP reduction ... (although it's not quite fair to compare just with the exchange rate as in Canada you typically pay MSRP, in the US, it's not uncommon to get deep discounts on even new models and you typically pay near invoice (i.e. I don't think it's unreasonable to negotiate another $4k off the US prices)).
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
michelb wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:51 am
Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread but one thing that's a shame with the 2018 Leaf in Canada is that the MSRP has gone up across the board while the MSRP went down in the US:

2017 MSRP Canada
S : $33,998, SV : $37,398, SL : $40,548
2018 MSRP Canada
S : $35,998, SV : $39,598, SL : $41,998

2017 MSRP USA
S : $30,680, SV : $34,200, SL : $36,790
2018 MSRP USA
S : $29,990, SV : $32,490, SL : $36,200

Canada does seem to get a good price vs US and I think they might be better equipped but it's a shame they didn't follow the MSRP reduction ... (although it's not quite fair to compare just with the exchange rate as in Canada you typically pay MSRP, in the US, it's not uncommon to get deep discounts on even new models and you typically pay near invoice (i.e. I don't think it's unreasonable to negotiate another $4k off the US prices)).
As with you, I do wish the price was lower and I hope that we are getting more in the 18 Leaf than our American neighbours but there is a lot that can determine what the price is in one country vs. another. Canada is disadvantaged in general when it comes to goods because of various reasons such as exchange rate, tariffs, taxes, incentives to industry and the market size. If you just look at exchange rate alone, Canada should be paying more but like I said, that's not all that's factored in to the manufacturer's price.
Feb 6, 2017
168 posts
64 upvotes
So I visited a Nissan dealership in Ottawa this evening. They only require a $500 deposit in which he says guarantees me a spot in line, no different than dealers that accept a $1,000 deposit. He said ETA is mid January to early February. Says there's very little negotiating room, maybe throw in some mats, I should have quoted him on that lol. You guys are right, they do make it difficult for you to stick with the S trim when you get so much more with the SV for an additional $3500. I'm actually leaning towards the SL for another $2500 (I know.....it's too easy to fall into their trap). This gives the leather appointed seats, extra 2 Bose speakers and cameras all around. I believe the screen is also 2" bigger?

Onto the colour. I imagine that most people will want the pearl white with super black trim since that seems to be their showcase colour of choice but I'm kind of liking the gun-metal since it's more unassuming as I'd rather not have this car stand out too much.

So I'm thinking of putting down a deposit soon and my final decision will be depend on how much they end up giving me for my trade-in when it gets appraised at the time of the Leaf delivery. I can't believe that I might actually do this, having not even considered the Leaf as an option until very recently. It just seems like a very fun and peppy little car to bomb around in.
Last edited by HN12345 on Nov 9th, 2017 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
European dealership unveil.
Fast forward to 18:00 if you want to skip the boring parts.

Feb 6, 2017
168 posts
64 upvotes
Both my colleague and I are going to put a deposit on this car however tbh, I am apprehensive....about 50% certain as my gut is telling me to wait for the 2019 version. Biggest factor will obviously be the bigger battery which will be another huge leap going from a 40 to 60kWh, possible TMS system, possible option for charging less than 100% to save on the battery life. I do realize that it would be a gamble to hold off for another year with respect to the EVIP so this will be a tough decision. Good thing is that I'll have 3 months to decide on this with the refundable deposit.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
bose wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:57 am
European dealership unveil.
Fast forward to 18:00 if you want to skip the boring parts.

That's a nice intimate look although I wish he could have shown a bit more of the trunk. I can't wait to check it out for myself. Good first impressions that's for sure.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:05 am
Both my colleague and I are going to put a deposit on this car however tbh, I am apprehensive....about 50% certain as my gut is telling me to wait for the 2019 version. Biggest factor will obviously be the bigger battery which will be another huge leap going from a 40 to 60kWh, possible TMS system, possible option for charging less than 100% to save on the battery life. I do realize that it would be a gamble to hold off for another year with respect to the EVIP so this will be a tough decision. Good thing is that I'll have 3 months to decide on this with the refundable deposit.
Bigger battery = bigger cost of the car. I would not be surprised to see the cost somewhere close to the Bolt.
If that is not an issue, you need the extra range, you are not concerned about the government incentive being reduced or disappearing and you don't need a new vehicle right now, then yes it would be a good idea to wait.