Automotive

2018 Nissan Leaf Pre-order Q&A Specs

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 7:14 pm
Mar 20, 2006
94 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder if Canada would be getting the rear view camera instead of mirror.
Feb 6, 2017
178 posts
64 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:21 am
Bigger battery = bigger cost of the car. I would not be surprised to see the cost somewhere close to the Bolt.
If that is not an issue, you need the extra range, you are not concerned about the government incentive being reduced or disappearing and you don't need a new vehicle right now, then yes it would be a good idea to wait.
Well the battery was upped this year and the MSRP went up about 2k? So I can see it going up roughly the same margin but it would be worth it. A 50% increase in battery life is no joke, going from 150 mile range to 220 miles is 240km --> 353km which is just over 100km difference. That is a huge deal and will certainly make a difference on trips, especially for me driving between Ottawa and Montreal on occasion. I'm also banking on the possibility of the 2019s getting TMS as well as the capability to charge to less than 100%.

I'm driving a 2013 BMW 328i right now and I'm still loving it (except for the premium gas part), so I'm not in a desperate situation to switch. Right now I'm looking at all options, in fact I'm going to visit my Chevy dealer today just do see what their current situation is with regards to their Bolt/Volts. Also have a deposit on the Model 3 and will explore the Clarity when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 2018 Leaf is great little car and a vast improvement over last year but just knowing that there will be a 50% boost in range in one year makes me very reluctant to take the plunge now. I just feel that this year's Leaf is more like a Leaf 1.50 rather than a Leaf 2.0 which the 2019 will be.

I'm not panicking over the rebate disappearing overnight, I think there will be some sort of warning and if it comes to that point, you can always try to get something before the reduction or termination. Availability of EVs in Canada should be better in the coming months/years.
Last edited by HN12345 on Nov 10th, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40924 posts
9843 upvotes
When will the 225 mile Leaf specs be announced, after the 40 kWh deliveries are tapped out?

LG Chem battery with the potential to have TMS is a good enough reason for people who have cars to play the waiting game.

Hopefully if the EVIP will be removed, the government will announce the date so that prospective BEV/PHEV buyers will know if they can afford to wait or not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9025 posts
583 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:57 am
When will the 225 mile Leaf specs be announced, after the 40 kWh deliveries are tapped out?

LG Chem battery with the potential to have TMS is a good enough reason for people who have cars to play the waiting game.

Hopefully if the EVIP will be removed, the government will announce the date so that prospective BEV/PHEV buyers will know if they can afford to wait or not.
I think an article posted on the EV thread spoke about the incentive being in place at a federal level but this would mean the incentive will be most likely reduced so it is available and fair across the country.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40924 posts
9843 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:03 am
I think an article posted on the EV thread spoke about the incentive being in place at a federal level but this would mean the incentive will be most likely reduced so it is available and fair across the country.
Sounds like they are pushing through with a HST-free incentive? :)

I'd rather wait for AWD and 220 miles but if EVIP will be gone, I may take whatever offering is closest to my requirements and even forego AWD.
Feb 6, 2017
178 posts
64 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:57 am

Here's a video I watched recently, note at 1:30 mark the Nissan representative confirms that next year's Leaf will be equipped with a 60kWh battery which will give it 50% more range.

Feb 6, 2017
178 posts
64 upvotes
And here's his latest video btw, released 2 days ago on the 2018 Leaf. Looks a a fun ride!

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40924 posts
9843 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:08 am
Here's a video I watched recently, note at 1:30 mark the Nissan representative confirms that next year's Leaf will be equipped with a 60kWh battery which will give it 50% more range.

I think they've announced (press release along with the 40 kWh variant) the 225 mile 60 kWh with 150 kW Chademo charging. If there will be TMS for the battery, I really might consider it even without AWD. That pretty much hits all my requirements except for AWD -- ACC, AEB, little battery degradation, long enough driving range during winter, heated steering wheel and resistive heating (which I think I read was superior to heat pumps in terms of thermal efficiency). I am not digging the styling but it looks better than the frogger it is replacing.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:40 am
Well the battery was upped this year and the MSRP went up about 2k? So I can see it going up roughly the same margin but it would be worth it. A 50% increase in battery life is no joke, going from 150 mile range to 220 miles is 240km --> 353km which is just over 100km difference. That is a huge deal and will certainly make a difference on trips, especially for me driving between Ottawa and Montreal on occasion. I'm also banking on the possibility of the 2019s getting TMS as well as the capability to charge to less than 100%.

I'm driving a 2013 BMW 328i right now and I'm still loving it (except for the premium gas part), so I'm not in a desperate situation to switch. Right now I'm looking at all options, in fact I'm going to visit my Chevy dealer today just do see what their current situation is with regards to their Bolt/Volts. Also have a deposit on the Model 3 and will explore the Clarity when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 2018 Leaf is great little car and a vast improvement over last year but just knowing that there will be a 50% boost in range in one year makes me very reluctant to take the plunge now. I just feel that this year's Leaf is more like a Leaf 1.50 rather than a Leaf 2.0 which the 2019 will be.

I'm not panicking over the rebate disappearing overnight, I think there will be some sort of warning and if it comes to that point, you can always try to get something before the reduction or termination. Availability of EVs in Canada should be better in the coming months/years.
Huge deal or not, only a fool would not want an extra 100 km in the range of their vehicle. I drive an SUV so I know what it means to have limited range. If you think MSRP is only going to go up $2K next year, then I hope you are right and by all means, you should wait. I don't know why you would even consider getting the 2018 version. My 2 cents is that I believe MSRP went up by $2K this year because there is only 1 version of the Leaf. Next year, I imagine there will be the two battery options which will give Nissan justification to raise the price for the longer range version.

I started looking into EVs about 2 months ago and even at that time, I read a few articles confirming that the 2019 Leaf would have a bigger battery of 60 kWh. At first, I was going to wait to get the longer range version as well but then a lot of those articles pointed to the fact that the car will then be priced relatively close to the Bolt which is a reasonable move on Nissan's part. The current $14k Ontario rebate has the negative connotation of helping the rich. The higher the profile of this and the closer the election comes, the quicker it is going to get canned. Again, my 2 cents but I hope I am wrong.

In my situation, I don't have a choice as I feel our 2nd car is going to need a major repair soon and I want to get at least 1 car off premium gas. Hence, I have to buy. I would prefer the range of the Bolt but do not like the price so the next best thing in my opinion is this new Leaf.
Feb 6, 2017
178 posts
64 upvotes
^^ That makes sense for you. You are probably correct in assuming that the 60kWh version will be more than a 2k increase, I hadn't realized about the 40kWh variant as well when I posted that.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40924 posts
9843 upvotes
I actually am open to that GM Bolt-based Buick BEV too.

Nissan and GM are head to head on on this. Hot topic right now is electrification and like Tesla, it does wonders for their individual stock prices.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9025 posts
583 upvotes
Mississauga
We are all fools.......alright

If it were only that simple.
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:59 am
Huge deal or not, only a fool would not want an extra 100 km in the range of their vehicle. I drive an SUV so I know what it means to have limited range. If you think MSRP is only going to go up $2K next year, then I hope you are right and by all means, you should wait. I don't know why you would even consider getting the 2018 version. My 2 cents is that I believe MSRP went up by $2K this year because there is only 1 version of the Leaf. Next year, I imagine there will be the two battery options which will give Nissan justification to raise the price for the longer range version.

I started looking into EVs about 2 months ago and even at that time, I read a few articles confirming that the 2019 Leaf would have a bigger battery of 60 kWh. At first, I was going to wait to get the longer range version as well but then a lot of those articles pointed to the fact that the car will then be priced relatively close to the Bolt which is a reasonable move on Nissan's part. The current $14k Ontario rebate has the negative connotation of helping the rich. The higher the profile of this and the closer the election comes, the quicker it is going to get canned. Again, my 2 cents but I hope I am wrong.

In my situation, I don't have a choice as I feel our 2nd car is going to need a major repair soon and I want to get at least 1 car off premium gas. Hence, I have to buy. I would prefer the range of the Bolt but do not like the price so the next best thing in my opinion is this new Leaf.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1151 posts
236 upvotes
The selling price is always dictated by the market condition. When Bolt and 19 Leaf have the same range and Bolt selling like a hot cake, I don't see why Nissan can't charge the same price as Bolt. If anything, Nissan should charge more for 19 Leaf than Bolt due to better semi-autonomous driving.
When 18 Leaf range covers 95% of my daily commute, I don't see any benefit of buying 19 Leaf for more money. I do have an ICE car for longer trips though.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:14 am
We are all fools.......alright

If it were only that simple.
In the context of this current discussion, I would pay $2K for an extra 50% range. I'm not sure why are taking that for a different meaning, maybe I'm the fool?
I don't know anyone's current situation but to me, it literally is that simple, do you need that extra range or not and are you willing to pay for it?