• Nov 20th, 2017 7:14 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1373 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:12 am
... resistive heating (which I think I read was superior to heat pumps in terms of thermal efficiency).
Definitely NOT.
The best way to heat using electricity is to run an air-conditioning heat pump in reverse, so that it cools the outside and exhausts heat into the interior. That delivers 4 to 5 times as much energy to the interior as is requiring for pumping.

This means a given amount of electrical energy is about 4x more valuable to run a heat pump than simply to heat the cabin through resistance heating.

Recent models of the Nissan Leaf have a reversible heat pump for heating as well as cooling, which yields significantly reduced cold-weather range loss. Strangely, the premium Tesla Model S does not provide this function with its heat pump.

But heat pumping loses effectiveness as the outdoor temperature drops, so auxiliary heat is required for the coldest conditions.

This is often provided by electrical resistance heating--which only delivers 20% of the energy that could have been provided by a heat pump.

For the same reason that electric vehicles are a great idea, heating electric vehicles with electrical resistance heating is a terrible idea.
Home automation, NOVO Magazine, photography, EVs.
Mar 20, 2006
94 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Will Canada be getting the 18’ Leaf made in Japan or US?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
1617 posts
189 upvotes
Montreal
2manybuds wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:44 am
US. The Smyrna, TN plant has a capacity of around 150k vehicles per year from what I read.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9030 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
2manybuds wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:44 am
For $2000 freight/pdi, it better be made in Japan...
Feb 6, 2017
179 posts
65 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:33 am
In the context of this current discussion, I would pay $2K for an extra 50% range. I'm not sure why are taking that for a different meaning, maybe I'm the fool?
I don't know anyone's current situation but to me, it literally is that simple, do you need that extra range or not and are you willing to pay for it?
Even if it's a 4-5k difference in price I would still take the 50% difference in range. A 100km difference in range would be huge for me.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:16 pm
Even if it's a 4-5k difference in price I would still take the 50% difference in range. A 100km difference in range would be huge for me.
Well then you already have options such as the Bolt. If you can wait then get the Model 3. Why concern yourself about the 18 Leaf. From everything that you have said, it sounds like that is not the right car for you.
Feb 6, 2017
179 posts
65 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:15 pm
Well then you already have options such as the Bolt. If you can wait then get the Model 3. Why concern yourself about the 18 Leaf. From everything that you have said, it sounds like that is not the right car for you.
Funny I just got back from the Chevy dealer again, this time inquiring about the Bolt. Tbh, the Model 3 will be out of my price range once I add the 6k premium package. I am also concerned about the lack of infrastructure in Ottawa for Tesla, (as of now there are none anywhere close lol), whereas with the Chevys it's more standard and already have a bunch places to plug my car in, including at the dealer 5 mins from my house. I'd also have a more comfy feeling knowing that my dealership is just around the corner, rather than having a virtual dealership. At this point, I am strongly thinking of cancelling my Model 3 order as there's just too much uncertainty with that company.

Aside from my bimmer, my favorite car was my hatchback Honda Civic way back and I picture the Leaf being a modernized and way more fun version. The reason why I'm considering the 19 Leaf is that it's a more fun ride than the Bolt and has more features such as Pro Pilot at the "assumed similar price point". But then again, with the 2018 Bolt, I could possibly have it by March....the Volt I could pretty much have it right now (looking into possible EPP possibilities). The 2018 Leaf could be had by February but I have range anxiety issues with that because that would be my only car.

So I'm pretty much all over the map like some of you guys and am constantly researching to make sure that I make the right decision based on my needs and tastes. I'm itching to trade in my BMW because I work multiple jobs and can easily log 100km a day which could amount to $300+ a month in gas. Tough decisions!
Feb 6, 2017
179 posts
65 upvotes
I get what you're saying though. I don't mean to put a damper on the 18 Leaf, my bad. I think it has potential to be a great car!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1151 posts
236 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:16 pm
Funny I just got back from the Chevy dealer again, this time inquiring about the Bolt. Tbh, the Model 3 will be out of my price range once I add the 6k premium package. I am also concerned about the lack of infrastructure in Ottawa for Tesla, (as of now there are none anywhere close lol), whereas with the Chevys it's more standard and already have a bunch places to plug my car in, including at the dealer 5 mins from my house. I'd also have a more comfy feeling knowing that my dealership is just around the corner, rather than having a virtual dealership. At this point, I am strongly thinking of cancelling my Model 3 order as there's just too much uncertainty with that company.

Aside from my bimmer, my favorite car was my hatchback Honda Civic way back and I picture the Leaf being a modernized and way more fun version. The reason why I'm considering the 19 Leaf is that it's a more fun ride than the Bolt and has more features such as Pro Pilot at the "assumed similar price point". But then again, with the 2018 Bolt, I could possibly have it by March....the Volt I could pretty much have it right now (looking into possible EPP possibilities). The 2018 Leaf could be had by February but I have range anxiety issues with that because that would be my only car.

So I'm pretty much all over the map like some of you guys and am constantly researching to make sure that I make the right decision based on my needs and tastes. I'm itching to trade in my BMW because I work multiple jobs and can easily log 100km a day which could amount to $300+ a month in gas. Tough decisions!
Sounds like the Volt would be the best fit for your situation. Any EV will have the range anxiety...
Feb 6, 2017
179 posts
65 upvotes
Alright, I'm going to stop talking about other cars and let this thread get back to 2018 Leaf discussion. Sorry for the derailment.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40960 posts
9894 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:37 pm
I get what you're saying though. I don't mean to put a damper on the 18 Leaf, my bad. I think it has potential to be a great car!
Any issues with your 328 yet or has it been rock solid? Do you do your own oil changes and for minor issues, do you have an indie shop to look and fix things?

BMW will be showcasing a few concepts in the L.A show. I was intrigued by the Electric Mini (some have AWD can actually seat two adults in the rear comfortably) but then it seems many of them are below average reliability.

I heard the electric X3 will be out in 2020 but curious whether an electric 3 series will debut about the same time. I definitely cannot afford the i8.
Feb 6, 2017
179 posts
65 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:11 pm
Any issues with your 328 yet or has it been rock solid? Do you do your own oil changes and for minor issues, do you have an indie shop to look and fix things?

BMW will be showcasing a few concepts in the L.A show. I was intrigued by the Electric Mini (some have AWD can actually seat two adults in the rear comfortably) but then it seems many of them are below average reliability.

I heard the electric X3 will be out in 2020 but curious whether an electric 3 series will debut about the same time. I definitely cannot afford the i8.
My 328i is pretty solid but it's just out of warranty so maintenance will become an issue since I don't have a trustworthy guy. Synthetic oil changes are done at Costco for $50 every 10,000km. I've added some mods such as rear spoiler, front lip, carbon fiber top, new pads, rotors etc. It's a good look and should be good for a little while before needing anything major.

As for their electric options, BMW seem to not be on par with the others wrt to their range capabilities i.e. the i3 and i8 and 330e. If they can get the Mini and the X3 out before the end of EVIP with respectable range, they'll definitely be in the game. The Mini is too hipster for me lol, but I'd definitely be taking a close look at the electric X3.

My next car will be something fun to drive while having an electric component, doesn't have to be high class like a Bimmer or Tesla. Too bad the new Leaf doesn't come in a PHEV version I'd be all over that :)
Last edited by HN12345 on Nov 10th, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 4, 2009
366 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
HN12345 wrote:
Aside from my bimmer, my favorite car was my hatchback Honda Civic way back and I picture the Leaf being a modernized and way more fun version.
So funny, one of my favorite previous vehicles was also my Honda Civic hatchback! Peppiest and most reliable car I ever owned. Also the cheapest ($500) and worst looking (brown with rust all over)s, but so much fun to drive. I think the Leaf will remind me of it (well, probably any EV for that matter) given the low end torque.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
HN12345 wrote:

HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:37 pm
Doesn't bother me the least what you think about the 18 Leaf. I'm just trying to pinpoint what exactly it is that you are looking for and help you out. You seem to be concerned about range because you log 100+ km and the $300+ in gas money per month but again, I don't see why the 18 Leaf doesn't work for you. My wife is in a similar situation and depending on the day, logs a minimum of 80 km and on other days well over 100 km. As you can relate, she spends on average $300 in gas money per month, not to mention drives out of the city core each day. When I mentioned to her the 18 Leaf's 240km range, she had relatively no concern as the car would have basically a 240 km range every morning after a night of charging.

My friend bought a Volt in the summer even though on average, he only drives 40 km a day. He was also concerned about the range of electric cars. The Volt is a good car for people on the fence but as I told him, most people that think that they are on the fence really aren't. I recently asked him his car's mileage and he told me he's driven about 1200 km already and was so ecstatic that he only used 3 litres of gas. I just laughed and said that I'm glad he had that gas engine to bail him out that one time...

Anyway, good luck with whatever you go with.
Last edited by xxboarderxx on Nov 10th, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 6, 2017
179 posts
65 upvotes
bose wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:39 pm
Sounds like the Volt would be the best fit for your situation. Any EV will have the range anxiety...
The Volt is very practical and sensible but I'm afraid I that will get bored of it after a couple of years. The drawback is the vanilla interior and a bit cramped. The Bolt, 2018 and 2019 Leafs are more interesting to me right now. The Bolt for their great range, and the Leaf for the fun driving experience and affordability.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

cdwalkman