• Nov 20th, 2017 7:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1150 posts
236 upvotes
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:00 pm
The Volt is very practical and sensible but I'm afraid I that will get bored of it after a couple of years. The drawback is the vanilla interior and a bit cramped. The Bolt, 2018 and 2019 Leafs are more interesting to me right now. The Bolt for their great range, and the Leaf for the fun driving experience and affordability.
19 Leaf with the 60KW battery could cost as much as the Bolt. We will see about that in mid-2019 as I don't think Nissan would release the 60KW model in 2018.
Feb 6, 2017
172 posts
64 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:56 pm
Doesn't bother me the least what you think about the 18 Leaf. I'm just trying to pinpoint what exactly it is that you are looking for and help you out. You seem to be concerned about range because you log 100+ km and the $300+ in gas money per month but again, I don't see why the 18 Leaf doesn't work for you. My wife is in a similar situation and depending on the day, logs a minimum of 80 km and on other days well over 100 km. As you can relate, she spends on average $300 in gas money per month, not to mention drives out of the city core each day. When I mentioned to her the 18 Leaf's 240km range, she had relatively no concern as the car would have basically a 240 km range every morning after a night of charging.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you go with.
Thank you. There are basically 2 things holding me back from the 2018 Leaf. First off the 240km range will give me great anxiety if I ever want to travel from Ottawa to Montreal which is about 200km. In the winter, probably forget about it. Because you guys have another car, you never need to worry about longer distances. Secondly, knowing that the 2019 will have way better range at a modest increase in price makes we want to hold off since I am not in a desperate situation to change. My colleague is in the same situation as you and he is going to get the Leaf, it's a great choice if it's not your only car imo.
Aug 18, 2013
116 posts
43 upvotes
NCR
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:09 pm
Thank you. There are basically 2 things holding me back from the 2018 Leaf. First off the 240km range will give me great anxiety if I ever want to travel from Ottawa to Montreal which is about 200km. In the winter, probably forget about it. Because you guys have another car, you never need to worry about longer distances. Secondly, knowing that the 2019 will have way better range at a modest increase in price makes we want to hold off since I am not in a desperate situation to change. My colleague is in the same situation as you and he is going to get the Leaf, it's a great choice if it's not your only car imo.
It is a fair point you make that my household has a 2nd car. It certainly further reduces range anxiety and trips to Montreal/TO or even anywhere we wouldn't think twice.

I will admit that if we like the 18 Leaf and end up getting it, I will certainly try a trip to Montreal to and see how that goes.
Feb 6, 2017
172 posts
64 upvotes
bose wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:08 pm
19 Leaf with the 60KW battery could cost as much as the Bolt. We will see about that in mid-2019 as I don't think Nissan would release the 60KW model in 2018.
It could come out the beginning of 2019 no? Like how the 2018s will be arriving 1st Q of this coming year. The Bolt is actually very interesting to me right now, I like the fact that it is an unassuming car but has some real ammo behind it. Most people won't even realize that it's an electric car, if you've read my other posts you'll notice how much I despise these cars standing out too much *cough* Honda Clarity *cough*. hence also why I don't mind the new Leaf design either. But yes, the Bolt is definitely an attractive car at this moment for that range since there's no sign of the Model 3 in sight.

I think the Bolt will surprise people in 2018 and will be sought after as it has the range, a cross-over profile and is affordable. It has its drawbacks, appearance is very plain, has an interior of a GM car but will win by default :)
Last edited by HN12345 on Nov 10th, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9837 upvotes
The problem with the Bolt is availability in Canada. Hopefully GM fixes that for its other two future BEVs.

I sound so desperate (to the tune of $14k haha) and will waiver my usual loyalty to Honda and now Toyota to buy GM, Nissan, Kia/Hyundai or Tesla (2020) as long as the extended warranty is fairly priced and with adequate coverage and my few requirements are met.
Feb 6, 2017
172 posts
64 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:34 pm
The problem with the Bolt is availability in Canada. Hopefully GM fixes that for its other two future BEVs.

I sound so desperate (to the tune of $14k haha) and will waiver my usual loyalty to Honda and now Toyota to buy GM, Nissan, Kia/Hyundai or Tesla (2020) as long as the extended warranty is fairly priced and with adequate coverage and my few requirements are met.
Lol, that's true. My last GM car was a Pontiac Sunfire and I swore that I would never buy GM again but here I am looking at the Volt and Bolt. That's because Honda and Toyota have dropped the ball on this movement thus far.

I was told by a smaller dealer today that there's a fair chance that they could get me a Bolt for around March. I provided some tips in the "How long is your wait" thread. From what I'm told, if you go to a high-volume dealership your wait would be longer than at a low profile dealership since you'd have a better chance of squeezing into the next allotment that they receive.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1047 posts
712 upvotes
Ottawa
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:09 pm
What's the problem going 200 km on an EV with 240 range? You have 20% more range than you need plus there several fast chargers on the way where you can fill up in just 20-30 minutes if you want to be safe.
Feb 6, 2017
172 posts
64 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:06 pm
What's the problem going 200 km on an EV with 240 range? You have 20% more range than you need plus there several fast chargers on the way where you can fill up in just 20-30 minutes if you want to be safe.
I'm not familiar with the charging infrastructure along the highways tbh. First of all are these chargers easily accessible such as at rest stops? Are they free to operate at non-business hours as well?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2008
1047 posts
712 upvotes
Ottawa
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:14 pm
I'm not familiar with the charging infrastructure along the highways tbh. First of all are these chargers easily accessible such as at rest stops? Are they free to operate at non-business hours as well?
Go to http://plugshare.com and check them out. Set filter to show only level 3 chargers. Pricing information is there too. In QC charging usually costs $10/h in ON $17/h. Some chargers are free (dealerships, IKEA)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9005 posts
577 upvotes
Mississauga
The Bolt is not surprising anyone, at least in the US. It is number 2 in sales behind Tesla Model S and has been tracking month on month trending upward in sales. This past October the Bolt sold more units than Tesla.

There's no competition right now for a long range EV other than a Tesla which is more expensive, a Bolt is the only real option right now and GM is doing their best to take advantage in the US market.

https://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:29 pm
It could come out the beginning of 2019 no? Like how the 2018s will be arriving 1st Q of this coming year. The Bolt is actually very interesting to me right now, I like the fact that it is an unassuming car but has some real ammo behind it. Most people won't even realize that it's an electric car, if you've read my other posts you'll notice how much I despise these cars standing out too much *cough* Honda Clarity *cough*. hence also why I don't mind the new Leaf design either. But yes, the Bolt is definitely an attractive car at this moment for that range since there's no sign of the Model 3 in sight.

I think the Bolt will surprise people in 2018 and will be sought after as it has the range, a cross-over profile and is affordable. It has its drawbacks, appearance is very plain, has an interior of a GM car but will win by default :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40900 posts
9837 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:43 pm
Look at the comments, this one was funny: "Lack of a thermal management system contributes to reliability. Less mechanical complexity == better." Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
That is true. Tesla's battery chemistry is inherently more unstable. I've read that a couple of times already. I have no clue about NMC, and whatever chemistry is best. Telsa's necessitate a TMS.

Look at the latest (or now later) comments, most are used Leaf's so reliability is severely underestimated. :)

The thing with Hyundai/Kia is it seems handling dynamics are worst in their classes or maybe Car & Driver just hates it. Every time I come across a comparo or a new review, handling is worst than the Honda or Mazda counterparts.
https://www.caranddriver.com/comparison ... rison-test
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ver-page-4
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... del-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... est-review

It will probably change in the future with hiring of ex-BMW M executive but for now (besides the Stinger, G70-90), it seems the Koreans still don't know how to make a car handle well but maybe they will do better with BEVs and stop using rear torsion beam suspensions.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 12th, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3680 posts
321 upvotes
Ottawa
seafish wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:06 pm
We'll find out when the 18 is out but you might not make it from Ottawa to Montreal at highway speeds (Don't forget EVs aren't like ICE; with EVs, the faster you go, the more power you are consuming). You can probably make it if you take the 17 the whole way but not everyone wants to do that.

In the winter, I'd be very surprised if you can make it given the posted range (in the past month, with the cooler weather, my avg consumption (15 Leaf SV) has gone from close to 8 km/KWh down to under 6 km/KWh) and it's not winter yet ... (basically dropped 25% and it's only November - I didn't measure it very closely but I think I would drop 30-40% on -20C and colder last winter).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9005 posts
577 upvotes
Mississauga
I must have hurt your feelings, so you went off in an unrelated direction Face With Tears Of Joy to defend the Leaf's honor. Dude I have nothing against the Leaf, I told my brother and his fiancee to get a 18 Leaf. You don't need to be so defensive.

Come on these are EVs, they are not race cars Face With Tears Of Joy. Tell Chevy to stop using Torsion Beam on their Bolt & Volt, tell Ford/Mazda/Mitsubishi/VW etc to stop using torsion beams. There's nothing wrong with torsion beams, but there is something wrong with lack of Active Battery Thermal Management no matter how you feel. If there is nothing to worry about, Nissan should up their battery warranty if its not going to be an issue.
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:49 pm
That is true. Tesla's battery chemistry is inherently more unstable. I've read that a couple of times already. I have no clue about NMC, and whatever chemistry is best. Telsa's necessitate a TMS.

Look at the latest (or now later) comments, most are used Leaf's so reliability is severely underestimated. :)

The thing with Hyundai/Kia is it seems handling dynamics are worst in their classes or maybe Car & Driver just hates it. Every time I come across a comparo or a new review, handling is worst than the Honda or Mazda counterparts.
https://www.caranddriver.com/comparison ... rison-test
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ver-page-4
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... del-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... est-review

It will probably change in the future with hiring of ex-BMW M executive but for now (besides the Stinger, G70-90), it seems the Koreans still don't know how to make a car handle well but maybe they will do better with BEVs and stop using rear torsion beam suspensions.