Aug 18, 2013
137 posts
49 upvotes
NCR
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:37 pm
_20171113_223445.JPG

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... s-compared

Thanks for sharing this. 8 year 70k seems to be the standard. If the Nissan thinks they can provide that warranty without TMS, then I'm not worried. I also live in Canada so no heat issues like in AZ or NV. Even if capacity is reduced to around 70% after 8 years, it should have a range of around 170 km. After that, if you really want a new battery, there's always the opportunity to replace it. I banking in 10 years time, replacement batteries will be a lot cheaper and I will just pass the car to my kids.
Aug 18, 2013
137 posts
49 upvotes
NCR
The part from Nissan that I don't understand is that they have known about degradation issues in real-world driving at least as far back as 2012 and I am sure even longer during their R&D phase. After a lawsuit AND at least 5 years to integrate TMS in their Leafs, Nissan still chose not to add TMS and went with a different chemistry instead. TMS is not a complex component to integrate so one would think that adding TMS would be the cheapest and safest way to gain back consumer confidence. Leads me to believe they really trust in their new battery setup.
May 25, 2005
554 posts
106 upvotes
Given a choice between a Bolt Premier or the Leaf SL which would you choose? I have a Leaf SL on order but may have the opportunity to get a Bolt. I drive about 60-80km a day and maybe once ever 2-3 months take a trip that would be about 200km. I do have an SUV that could be used for those though. Feature wise they are pretty much identical its just is the extra range worth the $7000 difference.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9222 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
Azer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:32 pm
Given a choice between a Bolt Premier or the Leaf SL which would you choose? I have a Leaf SL on order but may have the opportunity to get a Bolt. I drive about 60-80km a day and maybe once ever 2-3 months take a trip that would be about 200km. I do have an SUV that could be used for those though. Feature wise they are pretty much identical its just is the extra range worth the $7000 difference.
Up to you if you have that much money to spend. Only you can decide if its worth it.

Real range Bolt numbers have been between 300+ miles (483+ km) and can reach 750 km in perfect conditions (if try hard enough) from what I seen, so seems like GM was rating conservatively. Realistically I read achieving 300 miles is what you can expect in a Bolt easily.

RFD way would say get the Leaf because its cheaper, but whatever you choose and decide, I will advise leasing a Leaf, but you could if you want, purchase a Bolt.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1167 posts
241 upvotes
Battery: Bolt > Leaf
Tech toys: Bolt < Leaf
Price: Bolt < Leaf (cheaper)
Supplied EVSE: Bolt < Leaf

Bolt might be the best if your number one priority is the battery. My priority is tech toys, pricing, and battery as I do not desperately need a long-range vehicle. Anyone with range anxiety or one car in the household should get the Volt.
May 25, 2005
554 posts
106 upvotes
Yea I have been leaning towards keeping my Leaf order. Just can't justify the additional money for range I will never use.
Mar 4, 2009
376 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
HN12345 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:38 pm
Lol, that's true. My last GM car was a Pontiac Sunfire and I swore that I would never buy GM again but here I am looking at the Volt and Bolt. That's because Honda and Toyota have dropped the ball on this movement thus far.
lol, I was in the same boat. I thought I'd never consider a GM , or any domestic for that matter, but ended up having a very hard look at the Volt. Personally, I don't like the look of the Bolt, so that made my decision easier (to go with the Leaf). Currently we own a Honda and a Toyota, so I would love to get an EV from one of those two, but I agree with you, they both dropped the ball. I was momentarily excited about the Clarity until I had a closer look... Like all the manufacturers, I'm sure Toyota and Honda will have some better options 2-3 years from now, but right now it's slim pickings.
Feb 6, 2017
280 posts
95 upvotes
Azer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:32 pm
Have you considered the basic Bolt? which is closer to the SL's price point? The Bolt has a better and more durable battery and surprisingly better acceleration as well I believe but the Leaf would have more features and better availability. You'd have to dig into the features as well to analyze how important they are to you.
May 25, 2005
554 posts
106 upvotes
This only came up as I have the opportunity to get the Bolt Premier in the next week as opposed to ordering one and waiting the 2-3 months.
Feb 6, 2017
280 posts
95 upvotes
Myself I've brought the basic Model 3 (with no upgrades except for maybe colour) back onto the table because it just looks too darn nice. We all have different requirements and needs and I can afford to take a chance waiting for it.
Last edited by HN12345 on Nov 14th, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 6, 2017
280 posts
95 upvotes
Azer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:57 pm
This only came up as I have the opportunity to get the Bolt Premier in the next week as opposed to ordering one and waiting the 2-3 months.
Ah, I see.....In this case I think your decision makes sense.
Aug 18, 2013
137 posts
49 upvotes
NCR

Pretty long video...I skipped a lot of mundane parts but some good info.

Funny when the kid wakes up...

Part 1 he drives mostly city and seemed to be able to get over 330 km (8.0ish km/kwh)

Part 2 he drives mountains and about 100 km/h most of the way and gets about 250 km of range. (6ish km/kwh)

Also, the review noticed that while fast charging DC, it the battery temperature gauge was reading at 2/3 of max. Not sure what max is but something to note.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9222 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
He said the car has 36kW usable battery with the rest used as a buffer. His car showed it had still a 3.3kW onboard charger?

His car's battery didn't like the cold temperature in Japan, that means it ain't going to like Canada's colder weather.

I read on the comments and this blog (https://ev-owners.jp/blog/blog.cgi?id=6352) that the battery temperature would increase with charging and if it got too high the charger would automatically throttle and charge slowly. I guess this is no different than the outgoing Leaf in this regard. Still don't understand how this has a 3.3kW charger, but definitely feel its because no Active Battery Thermal Management. So long highway distances, the charge times most likely are going to take longer if its being throttled.

The good thing is that this guys test in Japan is transferable to what you would do the city here in Canada, so the range is there, wouldn't have trouble if you live outside and travel into and back out of the GTA
xxboarderxx wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 12:33 pm

Pretty long video...I skipped a lot of mundane parts but some good info.

Funny when the kid wakes up...

Part 1 he drives mostly city and seemed to be able to get over 330 km (8.0ish km/kwh)

Part 2 he drives mountains and about 100 km/h most of the way and gets about 250 km of range. (6ish km/kwh)

Also, the review noticed that while fast charging DC, it the battery temperature gauge was reading at 2/3 of max. Not sure what max is but something to note.
Jun 15, 2011
1 posts
Ottawa
After Model 3 prolong delays I ended up taking my $1000 back and decided to go with Scarborough Nissan today and reserved my spot for 2018 Leaf SL. Before that I also hovered around many web sites (like unhaggle.com) for new car dealer invoice pricing but did find any of them useful, I guess it is too early for those websites to look at what dealers will be paying to Nissan Canada.

I have been told that I need to come back again in Feb 2018 to select color and finalize financial aspects. So far I only put down $500.
Jul 25, 2016
28 posts
3 upvotes
Burlington
Anyone get any updates yet on the ETA. I thought I'd have more luck asking here rather than my dealer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)