• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2018 9:17 pm
Sep 24, 2007
378 posts
67 upvotes
Kelowna
UmarR48629 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 11:42 am
I left Montreal with a full charge. Got to Ikea Ottawa for a quick charge to 92%. Then camped for 3 days, and drove very minimally there. Left campsite on Sunday with 40% charge. Got back to Ikea with 19% charge. Quick charge didn't work. Turtle mode activated, epedal disabled, speed reduced. Error message states 'EV service system, power has been reduced'. I then thought the evse system at Ikea was acting up as per several negative reviews so I went to another charging location in Napean. Quick charge failed. Level 2 charging worked but I couldn't stay till midnight to finish charging.

Battery temp was normal when I had gone to Ikea. I had only driven it for 30-40 min to get there. I don't see why it would be a #rapidgate issue because there was 3 days between the the first quick charge and the second attempt...
I guess you'll find out, but it sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. Maybe there's a problem with the charger or battery pack.

Unfortunately, problem can arise with any car. My parents had a Hyundai that had one problem after another. It was in the shop so much everyone in the shop knew my dad by his first name. He'll never buy another Hyundai again.

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I have a kid too and that would be a terrible situation. I really hope they get the problem figured out and it's the last of your problems. I'd probably stick with city driving too until the car regained my trust. Neutral Face
Sep 30, 2007
546 posts
293 upvotes
UmarR48629 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 11:27 am
Oh man my wife doesn't want to risk it driving outside the city now. She says we should have went the ionic electric instead. Everything went wrong yesterday; car acting up, changing filthy diapers in the passenger seat, kids puking, and waiting for the tow in the heat wave. What was supposed to be a 1h30min drive took us 7hrs to get home. I'm just grateful I was able to find a car rental at the airport as most of them were sold out for the long weekend.
Bingo. Poor Leaf was sitting outside, not moving, in 35C plus temps all weekend. Obviously your battery got pretty warm during this time, and wouldn't accept fast charging.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9075 posts
2441 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
xrvr wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 5:24 pm
Bingo. Poor Leaf was sitting outside, not moving, in 35C plus temps all weekend. Obviously your battery got pretty warm during this time, and wouldn't accept fast charging.
Maybe be, but not necessarily. Canada day heatwave was worse and our leaf always sits outside and in the sun. Did L3 charge at Ikea at around 40c day, no problems with speed or charge at that time.

While heat may have had the effect, this generally should not happen.
Sep 24, 2007
378 posts
67 upvotes
Kelowna
If the Leaf can't handle 35C, I'll be in trouble. That's a normal summer temperature in Kelowna. Some parts of the US get much hotter than that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9075 posts
2441 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
drlarsen wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 8:15 pm
If the Leaf can't handle 35C, I'll be in trouble. That's a normal summer temperature in Kelowna. Some parts of the US get much hotter than that.
No problem so far with my Leaf. Its parked outside too and I already travelled from Toronto to Ottawa and back with it (400km one way, over 800 km total). Have over 4k km on the car, zero rapid gate issues so far, and I did 3 L3 charges in one day twice, once when travelling to Ottawa, and once going back to Toronto.
Mar 8, 2018
35 posts
12 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 8:34 pm
No problem so far with my Leaf. Its parked outside too and I already travelled from Toronto to Ottawa and back with it (400km one way, over 800 km total). Have over 4k km on the car, zero rapid gate issues so far, and I did 3 L3 charges in one day twice, once when travelling to Ottawa, and once going back to Toronto.
I've had mine in 35 degrees parked at a soccer tourney all day; drove for an hour, partial quick charge...no issue. Yes the battery temp was higher than normal, but no warnings or anything.
May 2, 2017
103 posts
86 upvotes
UmarR48629 wrote:
I left Montreal with a full charge. Got to Ikea Ottawa for a quick charge to 92%. Then camped for 3 days, and drove very minimally there. Left campsite on Sunday with 40% charge. Got back to Ikea with 19% charge. Quick charge didn't work. Turtle mode activated, epedal disabled, speed reduced. Error message states 'EV service system, power has been reduced'. I then thought the evse system at Ikea was acting up as per several negative reviews so I went to another charging location in Napean. Quick charge failed. Level 2 charging worked but I couldn't stay till midnight to finish charging.

Battery temp was normal when I had gone to Ikea. I had only driven it for 30-40 min to get there. I don't see why it would be a #rapidgate issue because there was 3 days between the the first quick charge and the second attempt...
Definitely not Rapidgate issue - that wouldn't prevent fast charging completely, just slow it down significantly. Also, the one Ikea charger in Ottawa that acts up only seems to do it on CCS not CHAdeMO, so it shouldn't have affected your Leaf. It's the one closer to the entrance that acts up.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4063 posts
442 upvotes
Ottawa
xrvr wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 5:24 pm
I don't know more about the situation than what was posted in the forum but it sounds like it's more than a heat related issue or a Ikea L3 issue. He had 19% left and the car displayed an "EV System Error" and went in turtle mode ... That's not a charging issue, that's a general system failure although maybe the L3 worked for a bit, pushed the battery into the red and then went in turtle mode but if that's the case, it should have been fine after a bit of time.
May 27, 2018
36 posts
3 upvotes
UmarR48629 wrote:

I had a very similar problem with my leaf driving toronto to montreal. I got to prince edward for my quick charge and it charged at only 13kw. At Kingston I got the turtle light and "power reduced" warning but it was driving normal. I had to slow down to 90km/h to prevent further battery issues. I want to bring this to Nissan Canada's attention but I do not think they will take our concerns seriously. It is not a problem I can replicate to the dealer unless the mechanic comes with me on a trip...
Jan 5, 2018
19 posts
Is it possible to plug a 2018 Leaf directly into a 220V outlet? I'm certain you can plug the Leaf directly into a 110v outlet.

Do I need to buy a charger (ex. FLO)?
Jul 20, 2018
8 posts
8 upvotes
Kingston, ON
KevinS757657 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 10:35 am
Is it possible to plug a 2018 Leaf directly into a 220V outlet? I'm certain you can plug the Leaf directly into a 110v outlet.

Do I need to buy a charger (ex. FLO)?
Yes, you can plug it into a nema 14-50 range outlet with the supplied ev charging cable. You don’t need a fancy charger station.
Aug 21, 2011
45 posts
BC
Anyone in BC that have ordered their's in 1st week of May or April but have not received yet? What is your dealership saying? any ETA? I was under the impression that all BC orders were coming in within 3 months? I looked the order spreadsheet all posted were in the same range. My dealership doesn't have any updates. Am I being screwed?
May 24, 2018
58 posts
9 upvotes
GuvnerH wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 10:54 am
Yes, you can plug it into a nema 14-50 range outlet with the supplied ev charging cable. You don’t need a fancy charger station.
Yeah, I was going to get a separate L2 charger, but with the rebate gone think I'll wait for a good deal. Also as others suggested we can just leave the Leaf EVSE in the garage instead of dragging it with you, I'll probably do that to save some $ to start with. That is assuming I actually get a car sometime this month!!!
Sep 24, 2007
378 posts
67 upvotes
Kelowna
anotherupna wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:52 am
Anyone in BC that have ordered their's in 1st week of May or April but have not received yet? What is your dealership saying? any ETA? I was under the impression that all BC orders were coming in within 3 months? I looked the order spreadsheet all posted were in the same range. My dealership doesn't have any updates. Am I being screwed?
I'm in BC and ordered on May 5. My ETA was 3 months, which I have just passed, however a few weeks ago my dealership said it was looking like a September delivery.

I've been following this thread since May and there's been a lot of discussion about a July shutdown at the factory that manufactures the Leaf, so that could account for the extended delivery time.

I do share your frustration though. The whole process is about as non-transparent as you can get. I have a feeling that even the dealerships don't get good information from Nissan Canada.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

RajivL28508