• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2018 9:25 am
Aug 21, 2011
73 posts
7 upvotes
BC
drlarsen wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 4:59 pm
I'm in BC and ordered on May 5. My ETA was 3 months, which I have just passed, however a few weeks ago my dealership said it was looking like a September delivery.

I've been following this thread since May and there's been a lot of discussion about a July shutdown at the factory that manufactures the Leaf, so that could account for the extended delivery time.

I do share your frustration though. The whole process is about as non-transparent as you can get. I have a feeling that even the dealerships don't get good information from Nissan Canada.
Same thing happened with my order. I was told its shipped and but now no other update. No delivery ETA. Did you ordered yours with Scrapit? I also read about the factory shutdown it would not have affected if your order has been shipped already. I was told BC cars come from Japan via ship. I have been following this thread and also on Facebook to see if there would be any new info. Thanks for replying.. it does help that I am not the only one affected. I almost thought the dealership is screwing with me as they have taken a non-refundable deposit.
Aug 21, 2011
73 posts
7 upvotes
BC
drlarsen wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 4:59 pm
I'm in BC and ordered on May 5. My ETA was 3 months, which I have just passed, however a few weeks ago my dealership said it was looking like a September delivery.

I've been following this thread since May and there's been a lot of discussion about a July shutdown at the factory that manufactures the Leaf, so that could account for the extended delivery time.

I do share your frustration though. The whole process is about as non-transparent as you can get. I have a feeling that even the dealerships don't get good information from Nissan Canada.
Same thing happened with my order. I was told its shipped and but now no other update. No delivery ETA. Did you ordered yours with Scrapit? I also read about the factory shutdown it would not have affected if your order has been shipped already. I was told BC cars come from Japan via ship. I have been following this thread and also on Facebook to see if there would be any new info. Thanks for replying.. it does help that I am not the only one affected. I almost thought the dealership is screwing with me as they have taken a non-refundable deposit.
May 27, 2018
65 posts
42 upvotes
If I were to just install a 240v plug in my garage and use the leaf cord to charge, would it be 3.6 or 6.6kw?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9218 posts
2588 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Canuck887 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 5:46 pm
If I were to just install a 240v plug in my garage and use the leaf cord to charge, would it be 3.6 or 6.6kw?
As long as all wiring supports it, you should be able to get 6.6kw. This is what I have in my garage with stock leaf cord. Did not purchase any other charging station.
Sep 24, 2007
399 posts
77 upvotes
Kelowna
anotherupna wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 5:33 pm
I didn't do the Scrap-It. They only allocate a certain number per dealership and the ones allocated to Kelowna were gone before I even ordered. Hopefully your dealership is holding one for you.

I originally was planning on a Tesla Model 3, but there were too many unknowns to make Scrap-It worthwhile for me. Eventually I gave up on Tesla, got my deposit back and ordered a Leaf. If I had planned on the Leaf from the start, then I could maybe have made Scrap-It work.

Personally, I wish they just let you scrap a driveable junker without all the extra hoops to jump though.

I was also told my car is coming from Japan by my salesman. Maybe it's true, but everything I've read since says it's coming from Tennessee. I looked up the VIN # for the demo car at my dealership and it came from Tennessee, so I believe that's where ours will come from as well, but who knows, I'm just another guy on the Internet -- take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9218 posts
2588 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
drlarsen wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 6:22 pm
I didn't do the Scrap-It. They only allocate a certain number per dealership and the ones allocated to Kelowna were gone before I even ordered. Hopefully your dealership is holding one for you.

I originally was planning on a Tesla Model 3, but there were too many unknowns to make Scrap-It worthwhile for me. Eventually I gave up on Tesla, got my deposit back and ordered a Leaf. If I had planned on the Leaf from the start, then I could maybe have made Scrap-It work.

Personally, I wish they just let you scrap a driveable junker without all the extra hoops to jump though.

I was also told my car is coming from Japan by my salesman. Maybe it's true, but everything I've read since says it's coming from Tennessee. I looked up the VIN # for the demo car at my dealership and it came from Tennessee, so I believe that's where ours will come from as well, but who knows, I'm just another guy on the Internet -- take my opinion with a grain of salt. :)
Its not coming from Japan, lol.
May 31, 2018
6 posts
Andro wrote:
Aug 6th, 2018 6:00 pm
Maybe be, but not necessarily. Canada day heatwave was worse and our leaf always sits outside and in the sun. Did L3 charge at Ikea at around 40c day, no problems with speed or charge at that time.

While heat may have had the effect, this generally should not happen.
I drove back to Ottawa today and got my car back. The dealer explained that they did some test and an error code for serge protection came up. They've made a reset on the codes and the car was fine afterwards. They asked me to monitor for any futur prompts if it happens after quickcharging. If it does occur again then the car would need a PDM module replacement.

Turns out the surge most propably came from the Ikea quickcharger in Ottawa that caused the car to go into 40km/hr turtle mode to protect the battery. They said to avoid charging there from now on. They said they've had other leafs come in with similar issues after quickcharging at that particular station.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9218 posts
2588 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
UmarR48629 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:54 pm
I drove back to Ottawa today and got my car back. The dealer explained that they did some test and an error code for serge protection came up. They've made a reset on the codes and the car was fine afterwards. They asked me to monitor for any futur prompts if it happens after quickcharging. If it does occur again then the car would need a PDM module replacement.

Turns out the surge most propably came from the Ikea quickcharger in Ottawa that caused the car to go into 40km/hr turtle mode to protect the battery. They said to avoid charging there from now on. They said they've had other leafs come in with similar issues after quickcharging at that particular station.
Weird. Maybe its location specific. If so, I smell a lawsuit/class action coming.

No problem with charging at local Toronto Ikeas. Hopefully its an isolated issue at just one location and they'll fix it soon.
May 24, 2018
131 posts
25 upvotes
UmarR48629 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 11:54 pm
I hope that solves your problem! That’s better than a problem with the car itself. Is there a way to report this to the company that runs the charger? Is that IKEA?
Also since I’m in Ottawa and go to that ikea sometimes, which charger was it so that I (and others) can be sure to avoid it?
I travel to Montreal regularly as well (on VIA usually, occasionally with my ICE) but didn’t think the Leaf would be good for that journey. Did you make it the full way on one charge between Mtl and the Ottawa IKEA across the 417 and 40?

Cheers,
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
9218 posts
2588 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
aleks wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 10:04 am
CR reviews the Leaf.

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids ... gy-effort/

HIGHS: Low running costs, quietness, power delivery, access, standard automatic emergency braking
LOWS: Charging times, driving position, agility, ride
Just to comment on the lows from someone who own leaf :

1. Charging times. L2 charging times are identical to all others within industry. L3 charging is super quick to 90%, which is more than most people will need. I am ok with lower speeds towards top. I'd rather have this than risk degrading battery. I did not experience rapid gate issues yet, though I acknowledge that they exist. However, 40 kW leaf is designed for city commute mostly, with occasional short trips. Expecting model 3 or Bolt driving distance is absurd, considering its price difference with model 3 and cookie cutter interior of Bolt, smaller size and higher price.

Agility. I find agility of leaf to be good for what it is and its price. This is not a track car and it perform great within city

Ride. I find leaf to be very comfortable. It absorbs bumps admirably and feel solid while driving

Driving position. Not the best, but works fine for me, someone who is over 6ft tall. Yes, no telescopic wheel, but I am used to the driving position and don't find it uncomfortable. I wish rear view mirror was positioned slightly higher to allow more visibility for taller drivers. However, I am fine with it.

Overall I find leaf to be best value and all rounder in ev world. I try to go easy on accelerator now and find my average consumption to be in 12kw/100km(mostly city and no ac), which essentially means that 100% charge should give me over 300 km range if I try. Of course if you do highway driving regularly this number goes down, winter will probably cut into the range too. However, as it stands, range is very impressive for 240km manufacturer suggested range car. I don't see any problem reaching posted range in most driving styles in spring, summer, autumn and mild winter. I love the car.
May 31, 2018
6 posts
Dan919 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:28 am
I hope that solves your problem! That’s better than a problem with the car itself. Is there a way to report this to the company that runs the charger? Is that IKEA?
Also since I’m in Ottawa and go to that ikea sometimes, which charger was it so that I (and others) can be sure to avoid it?
I travel to Montreal regularly as well (on VIA usually, occasionally with my ICE) but didn’t think the Leaf would be good for that journey. Did you make it the full way on one charge between Mtl and the Ottawa IKEA across the 417 and 40?

Cheers,
I believe the charging unit belongs to Ikea but serviced by evocharging. I've attempted quickcharging at station #1 when my car went into turtle mode. On Friday when I successfully quickcharged, I've used station #2 but it took about 10 attempts.

I did make it Montréal on one charge. I've arrived west island with some 80km left in range with AC turned on. I've averaged 100km/h on the highway. I find higher speeds reduces my range drastically. Propilot makes the slow ride a lot more pleasant along with listening to my favorite podcast. I'd do the trip back to Ottawa but from now on I'd rather pay for my charging sessions rather than a heavily used free charging station.
Feb 25, 2015
150 posts
36 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 5:51 pm
As long as all wiring supports it, you should be able to get 6.6kw. This is what I have in my garage with stock leaf cord. Did not purchase any other charging station.
I'm planning to plug in to my dryer (30AMP #10AWG), Is this setup good enough?
May 24, 2018
131 posts
25 upvotes
UmarR48629 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 11:28 am
I believe the charging unit belongs to Ikea but serviced by evocharging. I've attempted quickcharging at station #1 when my car went into turtle mode. On Friday when I successfully quickcharged, I've used station #2 but it took about 10 attempts.

I did make it Montréal on one charge. I've arrived west island with some 80km left in range with AC turned on. I've averaged 100km/h on the highway. I find higher speeds reduces my range drastically. Propilot makes the slow ride a lot more pleasant along with listening to my favorite podcast. I'd do the trip back to Ottawa but from now on I'd rather pay for my charging sessions rather than a heavily used free charging station.
Thanks for the updates. Impressive on the drive between Ottawa & Montreal, I'd figured you'd need a small top up somewhere in the middle somewhere to make it. Good to know it can be done. I guess winter would be different, but still impressive!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)