• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2018 9:25 am
Oct 11, 2010
72 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
blues45 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:09 pm
Yup - 401 Dixie, not on the lot yet, they said in about a week or two, which might put them in time for their pre-Aug 15th, promise... but probably not.
On your lease contract was the quoted delivery date set to Aug 15? On the excel leaf order tracker you put down July 31, was wondering if they called you to give you an revised ETA to Aug 15
May 24, 2018
131 posts
25 upvotes
suzukilzx6 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 3:19 pm
The 220 plug needed isn't the same the as the conventional dryer/stove type plug. The plug can apparently be bought at Home Depot
Needs to be a NEMA 14-50 plug, that can be different than a dryer plug. Just google NEMA 14-50 images.
Apr 6, 2008
589 posts
233 upvotes
drlarsen wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 3:45 pm
I plan to try it once my car shows up. Rather than replacing my outlet, I took a #10AWG dryer cable and added a NEMA 14-50 receptacle to the end. That way I can plug into it without making changes to my home's wiring.

If it doesn't work out (ie. breaker tripping) then I'll pick up a charger with a NEMA 14-30 plug, such as this one from Costco:
https://www.costco.ca/Sun-Country-Highw ... 66895.html
I'm assuming this is protected by a 30A breaker? If so, it's a bad idea what you've done as when circuits and wiring are sized, you are supposed to only load it to 80%. Maybe the breaker won't trip, as they don't trip exactly at 30A. However, your wiring, receptacle, will heat up and could cause a fire.

Don't be cheap, install new wiring and breaker.
Sep 24, 2007
399 posts
77 upvotes
Kelowna
GuvnerH wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 3:53 pm
I believe the Leaf draws up to 32amps with the supplied 6.6kw EVSE cable, so a 40amp breaker would be needed otherwise you will keep tripping the breaker. Plus 8/3 wire would be a better idea. This is the range outlet needed HomeDepot.

*Edit: for those looking for a 40amp breaker BulbsCanada.ca sells GCFI breakers for much less than any big box stores. I saved $88 on a Square-D 40amp GCFI through them with fast shipping.
6.6kW / 240V = 27.5A
6.6kW / 220V = 30A

Maybe it'll trip anyway if it's running near the maximum continuously?

If I was doing a new install, I'd put in a proper circuit with 8 gauge copper wire as you said.
May 24, 2018
131 posts
25 upvotes
Tikituk wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:16 pm
I don't know how, but it works - it was the first thing I checked when we tried e-pedal.
Here's some info on how the brake lights work with e-pedal:
https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNO ... Pedal.html
and directly from the owner's manual "• The vehicle’s brake lights illuminate when the deceleration level reaches an ordinary braking operation."
I've also seen some youtube videos where they say the amount of g force of deceleration required where the brakes light up, something around .2 or .3 g I believe, but I'd fact check that.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2368 posts
192 upvotes
YulTi wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:25 pm
On your lease contract was the quoted delivery date set to Aug 15? On the excel leaf order tracker you put down July 31, was wondering if they called you to give you an revised ETA to Aug 15
They sent me an email last month regarding delivery before Aug 15th.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $3171.00
Sep 24, 2007
399 posts
77 upvotes
Kelowna
fusion2k2k wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:37 pm
I'm assuming this is protected by a 30A breaker? If so, it's a bad idea what you've done as when circuits and wiring are sized, you are supposed to only load it to 80%. Maybe the breaker won't trip, as they don't trip exactly at 30A. However, your wiring, receptacle, will heat up and could cause a fire.

Don't be cheap, install new wiring and breaker.
It's not about being cheap.

I don't think there is a risk of fire for the reasons you've stated, but you're right that there's no room for error. Looking at the 2017 National Electric Code, the maximum safe load is 30A at 30C for my situation. With other variables, maybe it would be exceeded under the right conditions.

I'm not interested in rewiring my home, so maybe I'll just go with a lower amp EVSE and eliminate any possible risk.
Apr 7, 2018
38 posts
6 upvotes
williwx wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 12:08 pm
I'm planning to plug in to my dryer (30AMP #10AWG), Is this setup good enough?
The owner's manual recommends a dedicated 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Before you do anything you should make sure your electrical panel can support the load. We had an electrician in to give us an estimate and our panel cannot. So we will be trickle charging until we can save up some $$ to pay for electrical improvements. If our car ever gets here that is. Ordered end of March in Ottawa and still waiting.
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
NCR
drlarsen wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:42 pm
6.6kW / 240V = 27.5A
6.6kW / 220V = 30A

Maybe it'll trip anyway if it's running near the maximum continuously?

If I was doing a new install, I'd put in a proper circuit with 8 gauge copper wire as you said.
I just moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and my electrician came on day 2 to install a NEMA 14-50 in the garage. He checked my panel (I have a 200 amp main panel and a 100 amp sub panel) and then set off to buy parts. When all was said and done, he ended up going with a 30 amp breaker and four metres of 8/3 wire to complete the install.

I've had no issues charging the car everyday and it is showing that it is charging at 6.6 kwh. Much better than the trickle charge that I was on for 4 months prior...
Dec 22, 2012
62 posts
12 upvotes
London
xxboarderxx wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:08 am
I just moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and my electrician came on day 2 to install a NEMA 14-50 in the garage. He checked my panel (I have a 200 amp main panel and a 100 amp sub panel) and then set off to buy parts. When all was said and done, he ended up going with a 30 amp breaker and four metres of 8/3 wire to complete the install.

I've had no issues charging the car everyday and it is showing that it is charging at 6.6 kwh. Much better than the trickle charge that I was on for 4 months prior...
I'm going with a 50A breaker and 8/3 wire, and the NEMA 14-50R outlet from HomeDepot. I know the Nissan charger only pulls 30A but I am future proofed a little bit if my next car can do more. Shouldn't you have more than 30A breaker? Even a 40A? You are right at the max of what the charger will draw. The manual recommends 50A.
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
NCR
darrenhd wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:12 pm
I'm going with a 50A breaker and 8/3 wire, and the NEMA 14-50R outlet from HomeDepot. I know the Nissan charger only pulls 30A but I am future proofed a little bit if my next car can do more. Shouldn't you have more than 30A breaker? Even a 40A? You are right at the max of what the charger will draw. The manual recommends 50A.
I asked him the same question to install a 40A breaker and my electrician said that the charger is max 30A but would never pull that much. He also said it is a smart charger that can regulate the amps so he said it would never trip. He just lives down the street so he also said if there are any problems (and he doesn't expect any), to obviously just give him a shout.

I have it set up to charge from 10:00 pm until 12:30 am daily unless I have really drained the battery. I find that the regen is strongest when the battery is below <85% or thereabouts.
Jun 23, 2017
25 posts
8 upvotes
Update on my order: we went and signed the final Bill of Sale, did the financing and trade-in today. The car will be here in a couple of weeks. Blue SV ordered from Milton Nissan on June 20th. I can confirm the dealer will handle the rebate. They also said Nissan committed ot fulfill ALL orders by Sep 10.
Dec 22, 2012
62 posts
12 upvotes
London
xxboarderxx wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 2:03 pm
I asked him the same question to install a 40A breaker and my electrician said that the charger is max 30A but would never pull that much. He also said it is a smart charger that can regulate the amps so he said it would never trip. He just lives down the street so he also said if there are any problems (and he doesn't expect any), to obviously just give him a shout.

I have it set up to charge from 10:00 pm until 12:30 am daily unless I have really drained the battery. I find that the regen is strongest when the battery is below <85% or thereabouts.
Ok cool, well as you say it's working so you're probably good :) I'm waiting for my electrician to come over to install my breaker and outlet. I pulled the wire myself...right now I'm using the charger from my 2018 Chevrolet Volt which gives 3.3kw @ 240V, but max 12 amps. It's certainly faster than 120V but I am anxiously waiting for my new 14-50R outlet to be installed.
Jul 18, 2018
16 posts
6 upvotes
Tikituk wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 4:16 pm
I don't know how, but it works - it was the first thing I checked when we tried e-pedal.
Yes, the brake light works with e-pedal. One of the first thins we tried was driving past my wife in the parking lot to verify
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4171 posts
486 upvotes
Ottawa
xxboarderxx wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm not an electrician so take this with a grain of salt but IMO, your electrician did not give you proper service. He's installing an outlet that's designed to accept up to 240V/50A (NEMA 14-50R). The fact that you are only planning on using it with a 30A appliance is immaterial. You could decide to use it for 40A or 50A later (e.g. you decide to upgrade to a JuiceBox 40 PRO or you buy a trailer and decide to plug it in the outlet). Similarly if you were adding a electrical outlet in a room, even if you only plan on plugging a lamp or clock or something else that uses minimal amount, it should still be a 120V/15A circuit, not a 5A circuit or something like that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)