• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 3:54 pm
Aug 18, 2013
198 posts
71 upvotes
NCR
michelb wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 9:29 am
I'm not an electrician so take this with a grain of salt but IMO, your electrician did not give you proper service. He's installing an outlet that's designed to accept up to 240V/50A (NEMA 14-50R). The fact that you are only planning on using it with a 30A appliance is immaterial. You could decide to use it for 40A or 50A later (e.g. you decide to upgrade to a JuiceBox 40 PRO or you buy a trailer and decide to plug it in the outlet). Similarly if you were adding a electrical outlet in a room, even if you only plan on plugging a lamp or clock or something else that uses minimal amount, it should still be a 120V/15A circuit, not a 5A circuit or something like that.
I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds good so I will go with it! Everything is working fine and at some point I will test the line to see what it is drawing when charging and sitting idle just for curiosity sake.

I don't know what the future will bring in terms of fueling a car but at the moment, I have what I need to power the Leaf. I will not be looking for another EV unless the prices come down OR we get another rebate (I'm in ON) OR a combination of both!
May 15, 2003
450 posts
29 upvotes
Richmond
darrenhd wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 1:12 pm
I'm going with a 50A breaker and 8/3 wire, and the NEMA 14-50R outlet from HomeDepot. I know the Nissan charger only pulls 30A but I am future proofed a little bit if my next car can do more. Shouldn't you have more than 30A breaker? Even a 40A? You are right at the max of what the charger will draw. The manual recommends 50A.
I'm not an electrician but I have consulted with several and I'm pretty confident that you should not use a 50A breaker with 8/3 wire. If you want a future-proof circuit with a 50A breaker you should use 6 gauge wire. With 8 gauge wire your max breaker should be 40A. If you ever plug in something that actually draws close to 50A your 8/3 wire could heat up higher than it's rated for and could be a fire hazard. Also see this thread for a lot more discussion on this topic.
The manual recommends a 50A outlet, nowhere does it say you need a 50A breaker. The breaker does not need to rated to the same amperage as the max outlet rating. For the nissan EVSE with a max 32A draw, a 40A breaker is sufficient and perfectly fine to use with a 50A rated receptacle.
Jan 5, 2018
18 posts
Got my 240v outlet and everything is groovy! Now I have one question.
Is it possible to stop charging the Leaf once it reaches a certain percentage using the provided plug?
Oct 11, 2010
59 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
blues45 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 2:25 pm
Just received the update, ordered April 7th - will be heading in this Friday to finalize papers.
How did the process go today? Did everything go smoothly when signing the papers? Did they agree to submit the rebate for you?
Dec 13, 2004
51 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone with LeafSpy Pro care to share their SOH numbers?

3941 km
131 L1 chargers
1 Quick charge (Dealership or Nissan plant)
SOH 98.25%

A drop of 1.75% over 65 days of ownership.
May 27, 2018
30 posts
10 upvotes
MXMike wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 5:18 pm
I'm not an electrician but I have consulted with several and I'm pretty confident that you should not use a 50A breaker with 8/3 wire. If you want a future-proof circuit with a 50A breaker you should use 6 gauge wire. With 8 gauge wire your max breaker should be 40A. If you ever plug in something that actually draws close to 50A your 8/3 wire could heat up higher than it's rated for and could be a fire hazard. Also see this thread for a lot more discussion on this topic.
The manual recommends a 50A outlet, nowhere does it say you need a 50A breaker. The breaker does not need to rated to the same amperage as the max outlet rating. For the nissan EVSE with a max 32A draw, a 40A breaker is sufficient and perfectly fine to use with a 50A rated receptacle.
Yes there is lots of conflicting info out there. The wire I got is rated to 90C, and it's going up from my (cool) basement, relatively short (about 28 feet). The breaker is a new 50A General Electric. My electrician (who is 20+ years in the field) said 8/3 wire is sufficient....I will ask him again about it to confirm. I did tell him the max draw is 32A from the charger so maybe that is why he said 8/3 is OK and not 6/3.

Most references in the Leaf Manual refer to a 50A outlet, but there is one paragraph on page CH-3 (Charging section) that says:

"NISSAN recommends
using an AC 220 - 240 volt,
50A and an AC 110- 120 volt, 15A dedicated
electrical circuit and outlet."

When it says "electrical circuit and outlet", I gathered that to mean the circuit breaker and the outlet. Anyway, you are right 6/3 wire would be better, it would give much more margin. I don't plan on charging any other vehicle with that outlet for at least 5+ years so by that time I would probably have to change it anyway. It wasn't hard for me to pull the wire, I had to drill about 9 holes through the basement support beams and then run it...took about an hour.

Darren
Last edited by DarrenE40803 on Aug 10th, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 13, 2004
51 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 9:29 am
I'm not an electrician so take this with a grain of salt but IMO, your electrician did not give you proper service. He's installing an outlet that's designed to accept up to 240V/50A (NEMA 14-50R). The fact that you are only planning on using it with a 30A appliance is immaterial. You could decide to use it for 40A or 50A later (e.g. you decide to upgrade to a JuiceBox 40 PRO or you buy a trailer and decide to plug it in the outlet). Similarly if you were adding a electrical outlet in a room, even if you only plan on plugging a lamp or clock or something else that uses minimal amount, it should still be a 120V/15A circuit, not a 5A circuit or something like that.
Depends on the length of the run. A cable gauge chart will tell you what type of cable gauge will work with what kind of amperage draw for a given distance.

Dec 13, 2004
51 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
JosephL178731 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 2:56 pm
Anybody noticed that when we use e-pedal vehicle behind us seems annoying, today I have a chance to follow another leaf and confirmed it is, following a car without brake light is annoying and possibly increase the chance of rear in....
A lot of ICE cars can do some form of engine braking, downshifting to slow down without triggering the brake lights. These cars could be seen as annoying based on the brake lights triggering. It shouldn't be an issue unless you are following too closely or you are unable to anticipate the flow of traffic.

I'm guessing the reason why other motorists are annoyed is the increased braking/regen distance required to one pedal drive. This means you will have a more significant gap in front of you and some motorists would happily overtake you to fill that gap. E-pedal requires you to slow down earlier than a late braking driver would prefer. You could be pulsing the pedal in a way to cause the brake lights to come on, and it would appear as if you are brake checking the driver behind you.
Aug 26, 2003
195 posts
82 upvotes
Finally took delivery after 4 months of waiting. I also ended up paying around $900 more for the "factory shipped or installed" accessories (cargo organizers, protection kit, security and first aid kid, wheel locks and cargo mat.

I was caught by surprise with the added cost and went through the 5 stages of grief:
1. Denial: This is not happening, you can't force me to buy these accessories, I have a contract!
2. Anger: I'm going to complain to Nissan, OMVIC, Ombudsman, and posted everywhere!
3. Bargaining: Do I have to get the wheel locks too?
4. Depression: I should be happy with the new Leaf but I feel so sad.
5. Acceptance: At least I got the rebate and the cargo organizer is very nice.

At the end, I believed every party (Nissan Canada, the dealership and me) is doing what is expected under this situation and I'm still satisfied about the purchase.
The glass is 13/14 full and not 1/14 empty.
Feb 15, 2008
457 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
quyngo wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 11:35 pm

3941 km
131 L1 chargers
SOH 98.25%

Ownership: 3 months
Mileage: 4660KM
L3 charge: 6
L2/L1 charge: 49
Initial SOH: 99.62%
Current SOH: 97.69%
Initial Hx: 97.86
Current Hx: 111.30
Charging habit: 30% to 90% most of the time

Mine dropped almost 2% in 3 month. If it continues dropping at this rate, that means 8% per year, 8 years = 64% degradation, free battery warranty lol.
Joking aside, I believe the battery health dropping is not linear, plus, battery is new and it is trying to balance itself, so I believe the first few months you will see the battery health drop a bit more.

Nobody knows what exactly Hx is, but someone from FB mentioned that his Hx went up to somewhere 117 and now slowly dropping.

Seriously, stop worry about the SOH from your LeafSpy, just drive and enjoy the car.
Mar 15, 2018
14 posts
quyngo wrote:

3941 km
131 L1 chargers
SOH 98.25%

98.0% for 3552km 3month
Mostly charged with free L2 in the sun
May 20, 2017
182 posts
53 upvotes
ON
wow that's pretty fast battery degradation I would say. To give you a compare, my Ford Focus Electric has had over 20k+ kms and battery health is still 100%.
Jun 1, 2018
66 posts
31 upvotes
alli wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:53 am
Finally took delivery after 4 months of waiting. I also ended up paying around $900 more for the "factory shipped or installed" accessories (cargo organizers, protection kit, security and first aid kid, wheel locks and cargo mat.

I was caught by surprise with the added cost and went through the 5 stages of grief:
1. Denial: This is not happening, you can't force me to buy these accessories, I have a contract!
2. Anger: I'm going to complain to Nissan, OMVIC, Ombudsman, and posted everywhere!

At the end, I believed every party (Nissan Canada, the dealership and me) is doing what is expected under this situation and I'm still satisfied about the purchase.
You mean you were forced to buy accessories you didn’t want? How is that right? If they standard and you must take them they should have been in the original quote.
Feb 2, 2017
77 posts
34 upvotes
quyngo wrote:

3941 km
131 L1 chargers
SOH 98.25%

7924 km
141 L1/L2
7 QC
SOH 96.95%

Usually L2 charging from 20% to 100%
One week to go to 6 months of ownership
Sep 24, 2007
374 posts
65 upvotes
Kelowna
alli wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:53 am

Why can't all of that be removed? Is there something about them that makes it permanent? Does the factory really install stuff like that? How do you know the dealer didn't just toss it all on before calling you?

I think if it happens to me, I would still be at stage 2. Sure, I might go through with the purchase, but I wouldn't leave the issue alone. I'd be contacting Nissan HQ and working my way along from there.

If you were purchasing anything else, I doubt this sort of thing would ever happen. Imagine if Dell, Apple, etc just tossed in a pile of upgrades and surprised you with the bill.

At the very least I'd remember it the next time I'm in the market for a new car, which isn't that far off in a two vehicle family. I'm a bit outraged for you!

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

dealzeeker