Automotive

2018 Nissan Leaf Pre-order Q&A Specs

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 8:04 am
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9328 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 6:19 pm
I feel like I really missed out now that no more $14k rebate.

If I will be using it for daily driving 120 km return everyday, is Leaf a good option, or Prius Prime?
Leaf should be no problem with 120km commute. Temperatures are hovering closer to zero now and I have full set of winter tires on both Leafs and I still get over 260km range on each leaf, 99% city. If you do Hwy it should be less, but I can't imagine it being lower than 200km, which is still way above your commuting needs.

Rebate was a big deal for sure, but if you really want one now I am sure some dealers can knock of around 5k or something, just have to find the right dealer.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1489 posts
697 upvotes
, ON
How about Hyundai Kona Electric vs Leaf e plus? It seems that you get more bang for the buck with Kona.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9328 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:09 am
How about Hyundai Kona Electric vs Leaf e plus? It seems that you get more bang for the buck with Kona.
Hyundai and Kia EVs are definitely attractive options. However, there is no definitive information on leaf plus yet and I suspect Kona is a smaller vehicle. IMO, Kia Nero ev is one of the best values, atleast based on some online reviews so far.

If possible, I'd test drive all of them and go from there.
Jr. Member
Jun 15, 2011
145 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
So I finally got the AEB sensor fixed as per TSB on SV. Yes I have the TSB number at home and will share with you all later.

Soon after this fix, the curse of AEB is now transmitted to SL, I was having erratic lane departure issue but now it is showing AEB sign along with flashing yellow for both lane departure warning, while in pro-pilot it disengages the Lane departure and auto-steering. I have scheduled an appointment to get this one looked at as well. This could be a minor adjustment for radar or sensor. Unlike SV where entire module was replaced.

While I am driving close to zero temps everyday on highway (90+km around trip) I am now noticing a decrease in range somewhere between 30-40 km. Draining battery at 38%, leaving 62% behind or 105+km in range . Also GoM shows 250+km range everyday after full charge. But this range significantly drops as soon as I use Auto Climate @ 24 Celsius, with heated steering and Defrost. Throughout the round trip of 90km with all these features ON it leaves me with 75+km or 50%+ battery level. I have yet to see what happens 10 or 20 below Celsius.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9328 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sulemanm wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 1:22 pm
So I finally got the AEB sensor fixed as per TSB on SV. Yes I have the TSB number at home and will share with you all later.

Soon after this fix, the curse of AEB is now transmitted to SL, I was having erratic lane departure issue but now it is showing AEB sign along with flashing yellow for both lane departure warning, while in pro-pilot it disengages the Lane departure and auto-steering. I have scheduled an appointment to get this one looked at as well. This could be a minor adjustment for radar or sensor. Unlike SV where entire module was replaced.

While I am driving close to zero temps everyday on highway (90+km around trip) I am now noticing a decrease in range somewhere between 30-40 km. Draining battery at 38%, leaving 62% behind or 105+km in range . Also GoM shows 250+km range everyday after full charge. But this range significantly drops as soon as I use Auto Climate @ 24 Celsius, with heated steering and Defrost. Throughout the round trip of 90km with all these features ON it leaves me with 75+km or 50%+ battery level. I have yet to see what happens 10 or 20 below Celsius.
I am not that surprised with your range. You are certainly cranking up the heat and leaving it on at 24c. If you dress appropriately for the weather leaving it off completely or turning on for short burst should be comfortable enough. In addition, you are doing Hwy runs. Maybe also using winter tires? All those combined the range is around what it should be.

My scenario is different. I drive 100% city, no climate pretty much all the time. I do use heated seats and steering wheel and I consistently get over range scale. I never am cold or uncomfortable driving. I generally wear a tshirt with jacket and jeans/pants. Mine is usually over 260km and I am on full winter tires set and steel wheels. I get more than that range though, as I notice some trips I get additional 5-10km not taken off range.

Different usage for different scenarios and imo very predictable results for ev. I am very satisfied with my range.
Last edited by Andro on Nov 2nd, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Feb 14, 2018
297 posts
143 upvotes
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:09 am
How about Hyundai Kona Electric vs Leaf e plus? It seems that you get more bang for the buck with Kona.
I don’t think you will be able to get your hands on a Kona, very limited supply to North America.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1547 posts
416 upvotes
GTA
Sulemanm wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 1:22 pm
So I finally got the AEB sensor fixed as per TSB on SV. Yes I have the TSB number at home and will share with you all later.

Soon after this fix, the curse of AEB is now transmitted to SL, I was having erratic lane departure issue but now it is showing AEB sign along with flashing yellow for both lane departure warning, while in pro-pilot it disengages the Lane departure and auto-steering. I have scheduled an appointment to get this one looked at as well. This could be a minor adjustment for radar or sensor. Unlike SV where entire module was replaced.

While I am driving close to zero temps everyday on highway (90+km around trip) I am now noticing a decrease in range somewhere between 30-40 km. Draining battery at 38%, leaving 62% behind or 105+km in range . Also GoM shows 250+km range everyday after full charge. But this range significantly drops as soon as I use Auto Climate @ 24 Celsius, with heated steering and Defrost. Throughout the round trip of 90km with all these features ON it leaves me with 75+km or 50%+ battery level. I have yet to see what happens 10 or 20 below Celsius.
Andro wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 1:55 pm
I am not that surprised with your range. You are certainly cranking up the heat and leaving it on at 24c. If you dress appropriately for the weather leaving it off completely or turning on for short burst should be comfortable enough. In addition, you are doing Hwy runs. Maybe also using winter tires? All those combined the range is around what it should be.

My scenario is different. I drive 100% city, no climate pretty much all the time. I do use heated seats and steering wheel and I consistently get over range scale. I never am cold or uncomfortable driving. I generally wear a tshirt with jacket and jeans/pants. Mine is usually over 260km and I am on full winter tires set and steel wheels. I get more than that range though, as I notice some trips I get additional 5-10km not taken off range.

Different usage for different scenarios and imo very predictable results for ev. I am very satisfied with my range.
Another suggestion is to preheat before you leave while plugged in, bring it up to say 24C then drop it to 20C while driving.
Jr. Member
Jun 15, 2011
145 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
All good suggestion guys and yes I preheat at fixed intervals while car is still plugged in. I did not mount winter tires yet as I am still contemplating whether I should spend $$$ on TPMS sensor or not. Due to medical condition I have to keep heat at 24. I have also tried playing around driving with/out heat but that did not make any significant difference on overall range.

Thanks Andro for reminding me about heated seats, sometimes old age and memory lapses are not good in Canadian winter LOL will try that option instead of auto-climate.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9328 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sulemanm wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:02 pm
All good suggestion guys and yes I preheat at fixed intervals while car is still plugged in. I did not mount winter tires yet as I am still contemplating whether I should spend $$$ on TPMS sensor or not. Due to medical condition I have to keep heat at 24. I have also tried playing around driving with/out heat but that did not make any significant difference on overall range.

Thanks Andro for reminding me about heated seats, sometimes old age and memory lapses are not good in Canadian winter LOL will try that option instead of auto-climate.
No worries. I did not know that you needed the 24 c. I thought it was more a want than a need. I apologize for the incorrect assumption.

For sure keep at your required temperature, don't jeopardize your health. It seems you still get enough range though. Heated seats and steering wheel are amazing in this car. Very quick (literally seconds and you are burning) and do not affects range at all.

For the TPMS, I would skip it. I don't have them on any of my Leafs. IMO they are not completely accurate anyway. All you'll get is the orange sign on dash, no audible disturbance. I got used to it very quickly. However, I wish Nissan would allow to turn it off in options.
Member
User avatar
Aug 3, 2005
377 posts
62 upvotes
TPMS is not a requirement by law for manufacturers/importers in Canada but it is in US so I guess thats why Nissan does not provide option to disable it.
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
51 posts
144 upvotes
will 205/50/R16 winter tires work fine with my SL 2018?
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
51 posts
144 upvotes
Guest42484892 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:52 pm

In more positive news, let me know if you still want in on the winter tire group buy.
Dynamo $570
Motomaster $650
Goodyear $740
taxes and steel wheels included
is this still going on?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 8, 2006
9328 posts
2702 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
npc1234 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:12 am
is this still going on?
Keep in mind those prices were for tires and wheels only. You had to pay extra to install tires on wheels. IMO, not a great deal and you had to deal with Canadian tire. Check out independent tire shops in your area for their prices.
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
51 posts
144 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:31 am
Keep in mind those prices were for tires and wheels only. You had to pay extra to install tires on wheels. IMO, not a great deal and you had to deal with Canadian tire. Check out independent tire shops in your area for their prices.
you think it's worth it to drive down to buffalo and buy them there and pay taxes on the way back?

Top