• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2018 1:04 am
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
NCR
cdwalkman wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:09 am
I confirmed that the $499 "security fee" is for VIN etching and have asked to have it removed. I found this site was helpful in determining what is and is not mandatory in terms of dealer fees: https://www.unhaggle.com/how-decipher-p ... ry-fees/s/
There you go! Thanks for sharing and supporting why most of us joined this thread.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45524 posts
11957 upvotes
golden wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:08 am
What is the lease residual? Just curious.
Not sure what your question is.

It is the residual value of the car and stated upon contract signing. In the US, someone on DriveAccord just mentioned it is negotiable. If that's the case, then maybe it's better to lease because there's a ceiling on the car price but maybe we can get a few thousand dollar discount, which will offset the lease interest cost somewhat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1268 posts
302 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:11 am
Probably not good...at least in Ontario because they factor in the rebate. If you can wait 3 years out, you can probably get used Leaf for...$18K or there abouts? If anyone can wait and just want best value, I would recommend getting 2nd hand, especially in Ontario with EV rebates. You are saving a ton.
You don't get EV rebate on a used car in Ontario. I think BC & QC gives out about $5K rebate on used EV if it came from outside of their provinces. There is huge used Leaf shortages in BC & QC hence dealers are importing Leafs from US like crazy. A lot of Americans are dumping the Leaf due to discontinuation of 2G telematics. 2nd Gen Leaf supposes to have the LTE connection so it should last for awhile.
Koodo $35/5GB 😃
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
NCR
bose wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:20 am
You don't get EV rebate on a used car in Ontario. I think BC & QC gives out about $5K rebate on used EV if it came from outside of their provinces. There is huge used Leaf shortages in BC & QC hence dealers are importing Leafs from US like crazy. A lot of Americans are dumping the Leaf due to discontinuation of 2G telematics. 2nd Gen Leaf supposes to have the LTE connection so it should last for awhile.
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the first post but that's my point. The used EVs in Ontario cost so much less because they factor in that the original owner of the car got the full rebate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5562 posts
474 upvotes
Sorry I mean if you lease a 2018 Leaf, what is the residual value (%) for a 4 years lease? I don't mean buying a used EV.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1268 posts
302 upvotes
Just got an email from Nissan News. I saw "Pre-sale ends on November 30th". What the heck does that mean? LOL.

Koodo $35/5GB 😃
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
NCR
golden wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:26 pm
Sorry I mean if you lease a 2018 Leaf, what is the residual value (%) for a 4 years lease? I don't mean buying a used EV.
Again, it must be linked with the government incentive. I would probably guess it to be about 40% after 3 years and close to that after 4 since the incentive is 3 years max for lease.
Sep 8, 2014
639 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just took delivery of my new Smart ED today.

1. Discount of $2500 off MSRP.
2. Winter mats included.
3. Lease residual is $13000 after 36 months, on a MSRP of $28800 (before rebate and taxes).

So, while Nissan may not budge on MSRP, other car makers do.
Mar 4, 2009
477 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
bose wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 4:53 pm
Just got an email from Nissan News. I saw "Pre-sale ends on November 30th". What the heck does that mean? LOL.

Funny, I just came on here to post this, I got the same thing today. I'm assuming it's a marketing ploy, but if it actually means something then that's reassuring for those of us who have put down a deposit, hopefully it means we are somewhat guaranteed to receive our orders.
Mar 4, 2009
477 posts
142 upvotes
Ottawa
SmartElectric wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:52 pm
I just took delivery of my new Smart ED today.

1. Discount of $2500 off MSRP.
2. Winter mats included.
3. Lease residual is $13000 after 36 months, on a MSRP of $28800 (before rebate and taxes).

So, while Nissan may not budge on MSRP, other car makers do.
Well yeah, other car makers do, and I'm sure Nissan does in normal circumstances, but when you've put in a reservation 5-6 months in advance for a brand new model that has a lot demand then obviously the car maker has the upperhand and is not going to budge on the MSRP. Like does anybody expect Tesla is going to budge on the MSRP of the Model 3 in the first few months of its release, or the VW e-Golf? Anyway, glad you got some discounts.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1268 posts
302 upvotes
cdwalkman wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:15 pm
Funny, I just came on here to post this, I got the same thing today. I'm assuming it's a marketing ploy, but if it actually means something then that's reassuring for those of us who have put down a deposit, hopefully it means we are somewhat guaranteed to receive our orders.
Nissan could increase the MSRP on December 1st depending on the market demand. They added many features on 18MY but kept the pricing similar to last year.
Koodo $35/5GB 😃
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11089 posts
1579 upvotes
RFD
I emailed all the Nissan dealers around me in a 100km radius, none of them budged on price, some told me they already sold 100 leafs at msrp, another dealership said they sold 40 at msrp. Others told me no VPP discount and only msrp on reservations.

So I went to hyundai for the 2018 Ioniq , got % off msrp, free winter tire package, and free floor mat liners. The dealership who can negotiate will get my business
cdwalkman wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:02 am
Exactly. And let's not forget, many of us are willing to accept that the supply/demand issues at play here mean it will be extremely difficult to negotiate the price as you might on a more typical vehicle purchase, but this is acceptable in large part because of the $14,000 rebates we're getting. I appreciate anyone pointing out where money can be saved, but there's no need to be rude about it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1268 posts
302 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:04 pm
I emailed all the Nissan dealers around me in a 100km radius, none of them budged on price, some told me they already sold 100 leafs at msrp, another dealership said they sold 40 at msrp. Others told me no VPP discount and only msrp on reservations.

So I went to hyundai for the 2018 Ioniq , got % off msrp, free winter tire package, and free floor mat liners. The dealership who can negotiate will get my business
I understand getting a good deal is very good but getting the car that fits your need & likes is more important. I personally like 18 Leaf better than Ioniq for various reasons. If I wanted to get a deal, I could have gotten the 17 Leaf (NLA) or Smart ED.
Koodo $35/5GB 😃
Aug 18, 2013
206 posts
75 upvotes
NCR
radeonboy wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:04 pm

That's a great story but I don't want a Hyundai...I want a 2018 Leaf. In a sense, this carbuying experience should be easy since there will be no need to haggle.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

darrenhd