2018 Subaru WRX and WRX STI preview

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2017 4:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
arsenalrocks wrote: the RS has won very single reputable car comparisons tests against its rivals. that should tell you a lot.
there is truly no better AWD hot hatch than the RS. STI is so yesterday and EVO stopped production.
If you look at the metrics, it's marginally faster than the STI and Golf R while riding on near racing slicks. I acknowledge it won on pure driving feel and involvement--and that counts for a lot--but to say it renders the STI (or Golf R) irrelevant is a huge stretch. It's also worth noting that long-term ownership tests have numerous troubling complaints, namely:

1. The Focus RS has serious issues with chunking tires (not enough camber adjustment);
2. Frequently goes into FWD-only limp mode on technical tracks;
3. Already a blown stock engine (coolant in the cylinders);
4. Build quality issues (B-pillar rattling and liner falling off);
5. Over damped even in Normal mode;

A lot of the initial Barcelona press review sheen has worn off. Consider C&Ds closing comment on the 10 Best Assessment and why they excluded the Focus RS: "The truly great cars, the 10Best winners, are of a piece. The Focus RS gives you no peace. But hey, it’s not like Ford tried to build a holistic driving machine or sweat the nuances. What it set out to do was inflate the Focus with nitromethane vapors until it was within a millimeter of popping. Mission accomplished. That approach makes for an interesting car, and a special one. But not one of the 10Best."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
new_vr wrote: You don't think the STI has an economy class interior?
They both have passable interiors. I would take the STI interior just because the cockpit is airier with better sight lines and the layout will likely age a bit better than the Focus RS. However, the Golf R trumps both. Car Advice has a nice side-by-side comparison of all three: http://www.caradvice.com.au/479211/ford ... -part-one/.
Aug 8, 2004
346 posts
63 upvotes
GVRD
Speaking from personal experience, I have a 2016 Golf R with the tech pack and DSG. Its been a great car and I think it represents tremendous value.

I had a 2011 STI sedan with the sport tech before and the Golf has much better gas mileage and the interior quality and refinement is a world apart. I find it more fun to drive than the STI because the turn in is sharper and the engine accelerates with more torque and power
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4332 posts
798 upvotes
Gas mileage on the STi is poop, I can barely get over 350kms on a tank in 100% city driving, probably could if I used the last drop as well. The new one compared to my 2010 is much sharper but the engine still remains a big problem. Inefficient, turbo lag and a crappy stock tune that leads to blown engines.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
These look so dated already especially from the back, Subaru needs to get moving on a proper hatch version.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
What an overpriced POS.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2780 posts
4017 upvotes
Toronto
arsenalrocks wrote: the RS has won very single reputable car comparisons tests against its rivals. that should tell you a lot.
there is truly no better AWD hot hatch than the RS. STI is so yesterday and EVO stopped production.
Yesterday's tech isn't bad. When it comes to engines... I'd buy a well tested, well engineered product that has proven to work for the next 10 yrs. Can the engine and all the parts withstand the boost and 350hp and 350lb of torque for the next 10 yrs? given the reputation of Ford................. I have doubts.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
White Comet wrote: Gas mileage on the STi is poop, I can barely get over 350kms on a tank in 100% city driving, probably could if I used the last drop as well. The new one compared to my 2010 is much sharper but the engine still remains a big problem. Inefficient, turbo lag and a crappy stock tune that leads to blown engines.
That's why you have a Cobb OTS map or protune to fix those stock tune issues ;) Jokes.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4332 posts
798 upvotes
djemzine wrote: That's why you have a Cobb OTS map or protune to fix those stock tune issues ;) Jokes.
Yea but flashing it means voiding warranty. Kind of silly you need a protune to fix these issues but it still won't be 100% guarantee your #4 is safe.

Thought of just swapping in the EJ207 from the S206 but the AVCS makes it incompatible :(
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
White Comet wrote: and comes with optional CVT too :o
tk1000 wrote: Whoa, Hey Now Guy, a CVT for the Civic Type R Is Not Happening
Slow your roll there, fella.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture ... confirmed/
White Comet wrote: Early this morning it was confirmed UK was getting a CVT option, but later confirmed NA will only be getting the 6 spd. Still...CVT Type R is hard to fathom

Link to your source?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4332 posts
798 upvotes
Rumors has been debunked and no CVT for anywhere around the world. If you search UK CVT Type R there were a bunch of them early that morning but pages have since been removed or updated it seems. Haven't checked back since it doesn't concern me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Meh, don't care for the look of the front end..
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
It wouldn't be possible for civic R to have a CVT, none on the market can handle that much power, 300 is when the belt/chain start to slip.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
sonyminidiscman wrote: Yesterday's tech isn't bad. When it comes to engines... I'd buy a well tested, well engineered product that has proven to work for the next 10 yrs. Can the engine and all the parts withstand the boost and 350hp and 350lb of torque for the next 10 yrs? given the reputation of Ford................. I have doubts.
The engine should be relatively okay since it's a fairly long stroke with a reasonable compression ratio (9.3:1) and 18 psi of boost. For comparison, the Evo X is 8.8:1 / 19 psi and the M3 is 10.2:1 / 18 psi. You have to remember that the 350/350 is only when it overboosts (~12 or 18 seconds, I think?). The rest of the time it's not putting out much more than the existing 2.3 in the Mustang Ecoboost. You're right though that the supporting systems are a concern. Only 10,000 km on the clock and someone already had coolant in the cylinders? No bueno.

Edit: I'll also add that the Focus RS is going to eat tires worse than an Evo X. One lap around the Nurburgring and the tires already look like this?

Yikes. Or this guy after lapping Blister Berg:

To be fair, his tread was already pretty low, but it's informative look at how tires will wear on the car.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Those are Sport Cup tires basically a race tire. Optionally on the RS I believe.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
RSXPrem wrote: Those are Sport Cup tires basically a race tire. Optionally on the RS I believe.
Yep, but it also shows how shitty the (non-adjustable) camber is. That car will eat tires.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
I wouldn't touch the ej257 with a 10ft pole. This motor is just plain unreliable and winning the ringland lotto is a way too common occurrence. With every year since the last gd, it gets fatter and more uninspiring. With the 18, only upgrade noteworthy is the 6pot upgrade.

It's unfortunate to say, but my current is probably the last performance subaru I'll own. Nothing beats my factory hand built, balanced and blueprinted twinscroll powered ej207.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
4332 posts
798 upvotes
eclone wrote: I wouldn't touch the ej257 with a 10ft pole. This motor is just plain unreliable and winning the ringland lotto is a way too common occurrence. With every year since the last gd, it gets fatter and more uninspiring. With the 18, only upgrade noteworthy is the 6pot upgrade.

It's unfortunate to say, but my current is probably the last performance subaru I'll own. Nothing beats my factory hand built, balanced and blueprinted twinscroll powered ej207.
you still have it? Should've bought it off of you when I had the chance :/
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2278 posts
1888 upvotes
White Comet wrote: you still have it? Should've bought it off of you when I had the chance :/
Still have it. Now it spends 95% of its time parked lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7805 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
I'll just leave this right here: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/124 ... toyota-86/
The last time I endured a suspension this harsh in so many environments was a Porsche 996 GT3 RS, but that was forgivable because #racecar. In the softer settings, the RS’ constant vertical upheavals dominate the driving experience so much that it’s hard to focus on what’s good in the RS.

The engine is an absolute bulldog. Just imagine the Fiata or 86 with this engine. Am I right? But despite what Christian says, the shifter is notchy—not in a good way—and the clutch is vague and grabby at the same time. The midcorner grip and the way it can put power down out of corners is super impressive. Yet at the same time, I never quite knew where I was in the friction circle.

The all-conquering Focus RS is only 0.11 second quicker around the track than the fourth-gen Subaru WRX STI. There’s a single way to get a car like this right, and there are so many ways to get it wrong. I can’t blame Ford for trying. I’m glad it did. It’s been such a long wait for this forbidden Euro fruit, but after tasting it, I think I’ll pass on my next slice, thank you

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)