• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2020 10:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1397 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote: Hmm 7.9 is about the same as my 2010 2.4L Matrix. I wonder if that transmission is keeping the number in the high 7s.

As for the V6, didn't the 2015 V6 XSE Camry do high 5s?
Sounds like they tuned it for efficiency, not performance.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Who gets a Camry for handling and performance? At least it doesn't ride as bad (pliant, mushy, soft steering) as the previous models.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Who gets a Camry for handling and performance? At least it doesn't ride as bad (pliant, mushy, soft steering) as the previous models.
No one. However, it's nice the new one has a hint of it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote: No one. However, it's nice the new one has a hint of it.
So what are missing for the top of the line model are ventilated cooling/heating and the heated steering wheel?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: So what are missing for the top of the line model are ventilated cooling/heating and the heated steering wheel?
And memory seats, Android/Apple.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote: And memory seats, Android/Apple.
wow, it doesn't have memory seat? Our 2016 RAV4H has that. Toyota Canada didn't even enable Entune 2.0 on the RAV4 but I don't really care about that or Entune 3.0. I just use my smartphone for navigation. :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: wow, it doesn't have memory seat? Our 2016 RAV4H has that. Toyota Canada didn't even enable Entune 2.0 on the RAV4 but I don't really care about that or Entune 3.0. I just use my smartphone for navigation. :)
Apparently with Entune 3.0, you download Toyota's app and the GPS on your phone gets displayed onto the in-dash screen so it acts like a proprietary Android Auto or Apply Car Play.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
BluePhirePB wrote: Apparently with Entune 3.0, you download Toyota's app and the GPS on your phone gets displayed onto the in-dash screen so it acts like a proprietary Android Auto or Apply Car Play.
Nice. Good for Toyota then. I'm so used to mounting my Note 4 on the dash that the only time I look down on the display is when I change the radio station. :) Positioning may be better on the Camry but to me, it's too low on the RAV4.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Nice. Good for Toyota then. I'm so used to mounting my Note 4 on the dash that the only time I look down on the display is when I change the radio station. :) Positioning may be better on the Camry but to me, it's too low on the RAV4.
It's all new tech so it's to be tested and improved upon. According to Motor Trend, Entune 3.0 is an open source OS of sorts that will be used by other car manufacturers. Apparently 70% is core OS while the other 30% is manufacturer specific. Think of it like the Android OS equivalent for in-dash systems.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
BluePhirePB wrote: Hmm 7.9 is about the same as my 2010 2.4L Matrix. I wonder if that transmission is keeping the number in the high 7s.

As for the V6, didn't the 2015 V6 XSE Camry do high 5s?
Yes the 7th gen V6 Camry turned some pretty quick 0-60 runs(mid to high 5s). It could consistently and uneventfully run 5.8sec on Avg. Depending on temp and elevation it could be quicker.
That 3.5L 2GR-FE made some for some interesting appliances. Like the old V6 Rav4.
The best part always is the MPG penalty is always no more than 1-2MPG(usually 1MPG) from the 4Cyl models but usually 2 seconds quicker.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
tebore wrote: Yes the 7th gen V6 Camry turned some pretty quick 0-60 runs(mid to high 5s). It could consistently and uneventfully run 5.8sec on Avg. Depending on temp and elevation it could be quicker.
That 3.5L 2GR-FE made some for some interesting appliances. Like the old V6 Rav4.
The best part always is the MPG penalty is always no more than 1-2MPG(usually 1MPG) from the 4Cyl models but usually 2 seconds quicker.
If the mileage ratings are correct on the 2018 V6, it'll actually be better than my 2010 Matrix's 2.4L lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
I just received an email from my dealership they have a V6 XSE. I need to bring my Matrix in for an oil change next week so I'll test it them and report back here as I did with the i4 XSE. Since this one is also equipped with the JBL system, I'm going to try some of my mp3s as well. For the record, the i4 XSE's sound system is ok. Not great but not terrible. Just functional.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Our RAV4 has JBL 11 speakers in 7 locations and it is crap.
Jun 12, 2016
715 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote: Our RAV4 has JBL 11 speakers in 7 locations and it is crap.
high standards...lol.. kidding.
I know what you mean. When I had an RSX, it came with a "Bose" sound system with a subwoofer in the back, but it sounded like crap. These audio/car manufacturing partnerships are just gimmicks and totally not worth the trim upgrade- very entry level quality sound. I must say though that my stock sound system in my Camry (XLE) is pretty good. Nothing special and no JBL or anything.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
LauD14 wrote: high standards...lol.. kidding.
I know what you mean. When I had an RSX, it came with a "Bose" sound system with a subwoofer in the back, but it sounded like crap. These audio/car manufacturing partnerships are just gimmicks and totally not worth the trim upgrade- very entry level quality sound. I must say though that my stock sound system in my Camry (XLE) is pretty good. Nothing special and no JBL or anything.
No, far from it. I'm no audiophile. I can't hear anything when I sat on the rear seats. We don't blast the music volume though.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
I found the Harman Kardon system in my friend's Chrysler 300 to be pretty great. Car not so much but hey it can sound decent at least...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2007
6706 posts
2352 upvotes
The JBL in my dad's 2008 Highlander was pretty good (my only reference).
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
I test drove a LE yesterday. I am very, very impressed because up till now I've felt the Accord was a huge step up over the Camry and it seems the new Camry has completely turned the tides, The new Camry looks astounding in person. My favourites would be a black SE or grey LE. The ride even in the LE is great. Very comfortable but also feels well-controlled. The interior looks upscale but more exciting than the current Accord. The only thing I like about the Accord more is the seats. If you have long legs, you'll like the Accord seating better since the Camry's is definitely shorter. Also, the SE seats are pretty ugly looking with some weird accordion texture fabric in the middle. Niggling points aside, the 2018 Camry is going to dominate the segment for a long time to come. I'm actually looking to get one now... something I thought I'd never say. Anyone have experience with first year redesigns of Toyotas? That's really my only concern about the car.

Oh and here's a nice night time video of the Camry. The lights on this car are amazing especially XLE/XSE trim.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Embargo on the Accord will be lifted on the 2nd.

Wait for it before deciding. :). Both fronts are too drastic and the Camry's tail light is definitely nicer for me.

Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
2030 posts
490 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Embargo on the Accord will be lifted on the 2nd.

Wait for it before deciding. :). Both fronts are too drastic and the Camry's tail light is definitely nicer for me.

Eh, the 2018 Accord doesn't appeal to me at all. It looked best in 2013-2015 from the front, and the current rear design is better than the 2018 look. I think the new one is actually a huge step back in terms of looks. The ride on the current one is already great. The interior design was the one thing they could've improved significantly because the two screen deal was kind of silly. Now that I've seen the Camry is the real deal, I'm not even considering the Accord since I find the design to be really unattractive.

And yeah I think the Camry SE is a bit much except it is pretty gorgeous in black.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)