Home & Garden

[2018 UPDATE] Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 1:23 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 15, 2011
121 posts
45 upvotes
NORTH YORK
any clue where i can buy these type of device boxes in toronto? with the diagonal screws built into the box
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Madison-Elec ... /203340257

all the big box ".ca" places dont seem to have them. ie. homedepot.ca, lowes.ca, rona.ca, homehardware.ca1.

i figured the one above would be better since it would attach to a stud than the "rework" boxes that clamp onto drywall like this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rewo ... 08040.html
Feb 28, 2016
50 posts
It doesn't look like the box is CSA approved. That's most likely why you can't find it since it can't be used in Canada (legally).
Jan 4, 2014
517 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
g5spark wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 11:11 am
any clue where i can buy these type of device boxes in toronto? with the diagonal screws built into the box
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Madison-Elec ... /203340257

all the big box ".ca" places dont seem to have them. ie. homedepot.ca, lowes.ca, rona.ca, homehardware.ca1.

i figured the one above would be better since it would attach to a stud than the "rework" boxes that clamp onto drywall like this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.rewo ... 08040.html
A regular 2104 single device box has holes on the inside that you can screw them into wall studs with. You need to break some tabs off, but they work fine. Why are you looking for a box like this? I assume you're doing some rewiring?
Nov 15, 2011
121 posts
45 upvotes
NORTH YORK
i want to move an outlet down 20" vertically
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4893 posts
2428 upvotes
Edmonton
divx wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 12:05 pm
Is Edmonton pushing solar now? Hydro here is giving out rebates for solar and I'm doing a presentation in house for solar panel installation next week. Also ev charging is already been considered for new development of the projects I'm overseeing. I been getting into revit and will look into 3d rendering so everything looks pretty, new tech rolling out keeps me busy.
Edmonton isn't, but the province is.

So since you're an expert... :). My garage is 20' x 20', so I'd have approximately a 10' x 20' roof facing SSE. Any ideas how much power can be generated in that space, assuming no obstructions?

C
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27270 posts
1769 upvotes
Winnipeg
CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:11 pm
Edmonton isn't, but the province is.

So since you're an expert... :). My garage is 20' x 20', so I'd have approximately a 10' x 20' roof facing SSE. Any ideas how much power can be generated in that space, assuming no obstructions?

C
manitoba only just started with solar and ev program, the rebate for solar installation is out but the guidelines still hasn't finalized, with power so cheap here, we are behind ontario in pushing green initiative.

to answer your question, the current limitation on max PV current is depending on the sizing of your bussbar, assuming you have the standard 200A 240V bussing, you are looking at 50A in max PV allowrance before you have to replace the panel with bigger bussbar. so 4 strings would be your limit, i can forward you a installation diagram once I make it.

ps, i'm pushing for j1772 charging standard for ev, level 3 dc fast charging will be left up to hydro
Jan 4, 2014
517 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
g5spark wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:52 pm
i want to move an outlet down 20" vertically
I'd suggest a 2104. There are 4 tabs to break off, and you have to slide it in slightly different, but that'll allow you to screw right to the stud.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4893 posts
2428 upvotes
Edmonton
divx wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 1:58 pm
manitoba only just started with solar and ev program, the rebate for solar installation is out but the guidelines still hasn't finalized, with power so cheap here, we are behind ontario in pushing green initiative.

to answer your question, the current limitation on max PV current is depending on the sizing of your bussbar, assuming you have the standard 200A 240V bussing, you are looking at 50A in max PV allowrance before you have to replace the panel with bigger bussbar. so 4 strings would be your limit, i can forward you a installation diagram once I make it.

ps, i'm pushing for j1772 charging standard for ev, level 3 dc fast charging will be left up to hydro
Yeah, they've announced there will be incentives for solar micro generation, but not what those incentives will be.

As far as my question... I'm more concerned about how many watts per sq ft can we expect to generate with current off the shelf stuff. The panel itself can be upgraded (I'm assuming), but physical space can't. I could put panels up on the house too, but I suspect that will complicate things.

C
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27270 posts
1769 upvotes
Winnipeg
CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:12 pm
Yeah, they've announced there will be incentives for solar micro generation, but not what those incentives will be.

As far as my question... I'm more concerned about how many watts per sq ft can we expect to generate with current off the shelf stuff. The panel itself can be upgraded (I'm assuming), but physical space can't. I could put panels up on the house too, but I suspect that will complicate things.

C
this stuff is expensive and you don't have the budget for it, why worry about it?
Dec 22, 2012
6 posts
NORTH YORK
Hello,
What does the (Ontario) electrical code say about strapping when running NMD90 for old work boxes. Obviously strapping would be almost impossible.
Thanks for running this thread.
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Trying to install a box onto a block wall with 3/4" deep furring strips. i'll notch out the block for the box (roughly where drawn) but not sure whether I have to use armored cable or I can run NM-B down there. The cable will be parallel to the furring strips and enter/exit at the top and bottom.
Thanks!
Wall.jpg
Oct 24, 2008
666 posts
214 upvotes
What would you recommend for device boxes (the metal boxes) for switches and outlets? Currently finishing the basement and was surprised to see so many styles of device boxes. Id prefer to get one that makes it easier to line up for future drywall..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7230 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Lacklustre wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 3:19 pm
Trying to install a box onto a block wall with 3/4" deep furring strips. i'll notch out the block for the box (roughly where drawn) but not sure whether I have to use armored cable or I can run NM-B down there. The cable will be parallel to the furring strips and enter/exit at the top and bottom.
Thanks!

Wall.jpg
If it's a single gang box use an 1111. NMD90 is fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7230 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
bpcrally wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:27 am
What would you recommend for device boxes (the metal boxes) for switches and outlets? Currently finishing the basement and was surprised to see so many styles of device boxes. Id prefer to get one that makes it easier to line up for future drywall..
1104. 2011FBAR for exterior walls.

You may like the additional space a 2001R provides though versus a metal box, especially if you have dimmers to install (or floor heating thermostats or GFIs or whatever). Plastic boxes are also usually cheaper than metal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)