Am renoing my upstairs floors and there was some seemingly dead knob/tube wiring in the floor (there were existing snips in some of it.)
I was cleaning up the wires/tubes in prep for joist blocking/etc. Snip. Sparky-spark and out goes the room light. I should've checked with a circuit tester but FFS the wires were already cut elsewhere!!
The circuit is modern up to the light switch, and then presumably feeds an old hot K&T loop that used to go through the floor for some reason -- my guess is it ran off the same circuit as the living room lights and someone else's reno cut out the living room lights (now on modern circuit) and tied the bedroom light K&T into a new circuit fed up to the bedroom switch (two outlets were added on the circuit as well.)
The ceiling light is in a very cramped attic that maybe an anorexic midget could work in. Not 300lb me. So what are my options, really?
1) I can probably splice the wire I snipped back together in a junction box and expose it in the ceiling below.
2) Just get rid of the lighting circuit for now and run a new wall sconce above the switch, and "eventually" replace the light circuit when I next do the roof
3) Hire an anorexic midget electrician and eat the cost?
4) Other suggestions?
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.