Home & Garden

[2018 UPDATE] Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 12:13 am
Tags:
None
Apr 17, 2016
38 posts
4 upvotes
Hello,
I am finishing my basement and had an electrician come in to rough in everything. There was a time I thought I'd attempt it but RFD steered me correctly and I'm glad I hired someone!
My only issue is that I changed the layout in my workshop, which currently had outlets at counter height on 3 of the 4 walls. Unfortunately, the wall without an outlet is the one where my bench needs to go. Fortunately, that wall if not finished on the other side as it is my furnace room which also has my panel. I don't want to call the electrician back to add one outlet and 15 feet of wiring if I don't have to because it would be a waste of his time.

My panel is now full so I was hoping to put in a retrofit box, run the 15 feet or so of wiring to the panel and then replace one of the breakers with a tandem. Does this sound correct? There would just be that one outlet on that circuit but I don't have access to any other outlets to add onto.

It is a Siemens EQ 100AMP Load center if that is important to the equation as I have read some panels will NOT accept tandems. I've seen Seimens Q series tandem breakers for sale so I hope this isn't the case.

Thanks so much!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7238 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
Shanetodd wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:29 pm
Hello,
I am finishing my basement and had an electrician come in to rough in everything. There was a time I thought I'd attempt it but RFD steered me correctly and I'm glad I hired someone!
My only issue is that I changed the layout in my workshop, which currently had outlets at counter height on 3 of the 4 walls. Unfortunately, the wall without an outlet is the one where my bench needs to go. Fortunately, that wall if not finished on the other side as it is my furnace room which also has my panel. I don't want to call the electrician back to add one outlet and 15 feet of wiring if I don't have to because it would be a waste of his time.

My panel is now full so I was hoping to put in a retrofit box, run the 15 feet or so of wiring to the panel and then replace one of the breakers with a tandem. Does this sound correct? There would just be that one outlet on that circuit but I don't have access to any other outlets to add onto.

It is a Siemens EQ 100AMP Load center if that is important to the equation as I have read some panels will NOT accept tandems. I've seen Seimens Q series tandem breakers for sale so I hope this isn't the case.

Thanks so much!
Whose permit are you going to be using to make this addition? Call the electrician back. It'll cost you less than pulling a new permit as a homeowner, not to mention the time of waiting a day for an inspection. You can't do work on his permit anyways. You need your own.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7238 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
medethic wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:35 pm
I was ready to pay $1100 for the upgrade but the consultant told that the upgrade is not required as they will put in 200 amp as per the new code and all the consultants had recently received the information from the upper management. I don't think there was any benefit for the consultant for not allowing me to choose this upgrade. I didn't ask much in detail as I was told during the appointment that I don't have to worry about 200 amp panel upgrade and also said that I got lucky as in previous weeks people had to pay for the upgrade. One possibility could be that the builder chose to provide 200 amp for houses above certain sqft. Honestly I've zero knowledge in this matter and considered what was told during the upgrade appointment as the valid information.

P.S: I just found an article that talks about 200 amp and new code. If this is what the new code is going to be: ( http://www.demarcoallan.com/single-post ... -Buildings ).

Official changes to the code: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page16494.aspx
It is overwhelmingly dumb to put a 4000sqft house on a 100A service anyways, so just get 200A whether you have to pay or not.

And maybe the decor consultant should stick with paint colours and fluffy pillows and let the pros discuss the actual building construction.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
4382 posts
1061 upvotes
I have a stairway light set up in a 3-way switch. What solutions are available to move one of the switches without having to open drywall and re-doing wires, etc etc.

For example, could I replace one of the switches with this thing? Just not really sure how the 3-way wiring might impact these things.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-8-Wireless-An ... NKZE42KYHB
Thanks RFD for:

-Koodo $48 MB Plan 5GB
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4972 posts
4900 upvotes
Toronto
Drew_W wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:13 pm
It is overwhelmingly dumb to put a 4000sqft house on a 100A service anyways, so just get 200A whether you have to pay or not.

And maybe the decor consultant should stick with paint colours and fluffy pillows and let the pros discuss the actual building construction.
I suspect the decor consultants were coached to bring up this point (probably accurate as well) so that the home "owners" in the decor center decide to reinvest $$ that had probably been already allocated to a 200A upgrade (mentally or actually), plus maybe more, to other decor features. Get them thinking about that they have "extra" money to spend, classic sales tactic (a tactic even if the 200A thing is true.)
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Nov 30, 2017
1 posts
I would like to mount a receptacle in the back of my fireplace for a wood stove insert fan. Is it ok to run a bx from the crawl space up through the chute for this?
Apr 6, 2012
135 posts
47 upvotes
@DIrty-D @Drew_W @hoob Thanks for the input. I will have to get in writing from the builder that they will install 200 amp panel. If they are not ready to do so, I'll throw extra 1100 and will force them to have it written as an upgrade. Stupid of them to even have 100 amp as a standard in the house of this size.
Drew_W wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 1:13 pm

Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2684 posts
781 upvotes
Vancouver
Shanetodd wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:29 pm
Unfortunately, the wall without an outlet is the one where my bench needs to go. Fortunately, that wall if not finished on the other side as it is my furnace room which also has my panel. I don't want to call the electrician back to add one outlet and 15 feet of wiring if I don't have to because it would be a waste of his time.
Just find the home run for the circuit that the other outlets are on, cut it, add a junction box (you can even put an outlet inside, if you want/need to) and from there run another wire to the new outlets. No need to touch the panel.
Last edited by charlesd79 on Dec 2nd, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1029 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
charlesd79 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 2:04 pm
Just find the home run for the circuit that the other outlets are on, cut it, add a junction box (you can even put an outlet inside, if you want/need to) and from there run another wire to the new outlets. No need to touch the panel.
If the poster is adding to the electricians work, he would essentially be breaking the law. He can't modify or add to the electricians work.
Dec 1, 2017
1 posts
I am replacing a standard light switch with a leviton vizia+ timer. It controls an outdoor receptacle for Christmas lights. Power for another outdoor receptacle that is not controlled by the switch is also coming from this box. Since this new timer switch requires the neutral wire to be connected I'm just wondering if it is ok that it will also be connected to the neutral wire of the receptacle that is not controlled by the switch. I have been told it is not an issue but just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.
Images
  • 20171126_192711.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2684 posts
781 upvotes
Vancouver
DIrty-D wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:28 pm
If the poster is adding to the electricians work, he would essentially be breaking the law.
That's a different topic.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2684 posts
781 upvotes
Vancouver
mm0823 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 7:17 pm
I'm just wondering if it is ok that it will also be connected to the neutral wire of the receptacle that is not controlled by the switch. I have been told it is not an issue but just wanted a second opinion. Thanks.
It's ok (as you can see, all neutrals go together in the blue wirenut). It looks weird to you because whoever put the switch in didn't bother to make a pigtail and connected it directly on the home run (which is the bottom black wire from the picture).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7238 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
charlesd79 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 9:00 pm
That's a different topic.
Not really. Homeowners can't do electrical work under a licensed electrician's open permit, period end of story.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)