• Sep 20th, 2017 5:04 pm
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
408 upvotes
Concord, ON
gizmo8 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 7:39 pm
Audi and VW is making some nice small sporty cars compare to the ugly crap BMW is doing.
sporty "looking" secretary cars sure.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7575 posts
262 upvotes
Brampton
This is just a mid model/LCI refresh. Think of it as the MK7.5

I like it overall. Just not the lack of a physical volume knob.

Lets see how many of these things will actually come to the North American Golf. Would love to see the 12" virtual cockpit, 9.2" head-unit + the fancy LED headlights/taillights but these are features that step on Audi's toes. They like to separate the premium features between each other in North America
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14317 posts
1025 upvotes
Not much changed
Golf's always been nice though. Why fix if it ain't broken I guess.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1298 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Ya this is euro spec we are getting Mexican spec so pass.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1011 posts
250 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 5:31 pm
Depending on what you comparing with, if you take a look with the WRX or Ralliart of the same year, their interior is even worse than on a MS3 but cost more.
Golf R with auto DSG and a Tech pkg goes to 44k + tax, which is getting pricy for a small hatch.

it would be interest to see how much the selling this new GTI.
FWD was the MS3s Achilles. They're still great bang-for-buck cars on the used market, but had they made it AWD like the MS6 it would have been fantastic. Fully loaded R is pricey and verges on S3 territory, but if you consider someone looking for a performance/sports car and is willing to shell $38,000 for a PP GTI, why not just get a base R?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11030 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
rsang39 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 11:13 am
FWD was the MS3s Achilles. They're still great bang-for-buck cars on the used market, but had they made it AWD like the MS6 it would have been fantastic. Fully loaded R is pricey and verges on S3 territory, but if you consider someone looking for a performance/sports car and is willing to shell $38,000 for a PP GTI, why not just get a base R?
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/chris-h ... lubsport-s

That is why. Keep in mind it is an Euro spec but still sheds an idea of why you'd get the GTI over a Golf R.
Dec 23, 2007
239 posts
28 upvotes
Hamilton
Did they just remap the ECU to make that kind of power? It's almost as if they are running an APR tune from the factory. I really dig the GTI's in the MK7 guise. Killer interior and ergonomics and fast enough for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1011 posts
250 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 7:39 pm
sporty "looking" secretary cars sure.
What do you define as a "secretary" car? Is this a new class of cars or are they just cars you just happen to think look feminine? Last time I checked the GTI and Golf R were huge hits both on and off the track.....
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4593 posts
843 upvotes
Mississauga
Oooh, DSG will slowly replace all the regular automatics. When that happens, maybe I will take a look at a more basic Golf for utility purposes driving my Bernese Mountain dog around. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1011 posts
250 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Nov 12th, 2016 11:39 am
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/chris-h ... lubsport-s

That is why. Keep in mind it is an Euro spec but still sheds an idea of why you'd get the GTI over a Golf R.
It's not exactly a fair comparison. As you mention, this is a euro-spec special edition GTI with nearly as much BHP as the R and a MUCH better track set up, so it's not surprising that it's a better car. It's also a limited edition and more expensive than the R in the U.K. If you're comparing what's available here, the R is dollar for dollar a better car for the money than a fully spec'd PP GTI performance wise.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
1786 posts
402 upvotes
Calgary
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 5:04 pm
Although the HP jump, the number aren't very impressive. my old 07 Mazdaspeed3 can do 5.5 on 0-100km/hr and 13.9 on 1/4 mile. (looking back on a 9 years old car)
Most said a chip will bring the car to 300hp...ya, but so with other cars. it is a matter of how much $ and mod you put into it.

One thing I admit that VW always has their own fans.
IMO GTI numbers are pretty impressive. Current version with "220" hp is quite a bit faster than its nearest competitor the Focus ST that is suppose to be 252hp. I think the old SRT4 neon was even faster to 60mph than MS3 back in the day, but that doesn't mean it's a better car. Current GTI, the way it drives is best in class.
rsang39 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2016 4:50 pm
Best guess would 0-60: 5.5 seconds with the DSG and 6.0 with the 6 Speed (FWD is still the biggest obstacle). Most real world tests of the current MK7 are getting around 5.9 with the DSG and 6.5 with the 6 speed for the Performance pack.

1/4 mile i'd guess to be around 14.0 considering the current one does it in 14.5
Its already 5.9s for a manual and 5.6s for DSG. Pretty impressive numbers for such low power rating.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ted-review
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... est-review

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)