2018 Volkswagen Golf and GTI

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2018 4:42 pm
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19089 posts
4281 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe ask the wheels/tires shop first and see what they say and then you can decide
May 7, 2007
77 posts
32 upvotes
MrPsv1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:44 am
currently contemplating what to do, one thought is to switch the Brooklyn rims onto winter tires, sell the RTX rims and just buy some 18" summer rims and tires instead now
I would definitely have done that if I had the brooklyns, the all seasons OEMs arent great and some nice summer tires will make a big difference.
Apr 24, 2014
772 posts
253 upvotes
MrPsv1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:44 am
currently contemplating what to do, one thought is to switch the Brooklyn rims onto winter tires, sell the RTX rims and just buy some 18" summer rims and tires instead now
This is what I did, and I plan on selling the stock all seasons to make up for the summer wheel set. What's the offset of the RTX wheels?

Apr 20, 2015
233 posts
32 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Gonna go to SimplyTire on Saturday after picking up the car and get it all sorted out, I had bought the winter set up from them during the RFD Group Buy
Apr 24, 2014
772 posts
253 upvotes
MrPsv1 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:14 pm
Gonna go to SimplyTire on Saturday after picking up the car and get it all sorted out, I had bought the winter set up from them during the RFD Group Buy
They should have ordered the correct offset so hopefully they'll be able to resolve the issue for you. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
19089 posts
4281 upvotes
Toronto
If Simply is going to get you spacers (as your only solution), then make sure to get the good brand name, not something that is Made in China crap.
Apr 20, 2015
233 posts
32 upvotes
Brampton, ON
hybrid09 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:16 pm

They should have ordered the correct offset so hopefully they'll be able to resolve the issue for you. Good luck.

thanks
booblehead wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 1:20 pm
If Simply is going to get you spacers (as your only solution), then make sure to get the good brand name, not something that is Made in China crap.
will do, thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11338 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
hybrid09 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:20 am
I'm assuming you mean the wheel doesn't fit? The clearance is pretty tight, not all 17" wheels will fit from my understanding.
Really? I bought a used set of Audi A3 rims, sized 225/45R17 cus they were practically brand new and a really good deal. I hope they fit... Would really suck if they don't clear the calipers.
Apr 24, 2014
772 posts
253 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:12 pm
Really? I bought a used set of Audi A3 rims, sized 225/45R17 cus they were practically brand new and a really good deal. I hope they fit... Would really suck if they don't clear the calipers.
OEM will fit most of the time. Offset looks to be ET51 for the A3 wheels so it should fit the GTI.
Aug 4, 2010
8 posts
3 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Is there any recommendation in the 2018 GTI Owner's Manual regarding winter tires/rims sizing, offset etc? Thanks.
May 7, 2007
77 posts
32 upvotes
Didn't see anything in the manual but several VW dealerships (in montreal at least) are recommending VW Tronic 17 inch rims with 205/50/17 tires for both GTI and R.

You could also use 225/45/17 tires but a wider rim is suggested. Basically any rim that fits a Golf R or GTI performance pack from previous years work.

To give you an idea, this is a 17inch VW OEM rim, I have about 4mm of clearance between the brake caliper and the weights on the rim.
Images
  • brake.jpg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11338 posts
1549 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Did anyone buy a front license plate relocator so they didn't drill holes into their bumper? Nextmod is selling one for around $140. Apparently the cheaper ones suck.
hybrid09 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:19 pm
OEM will fit most of the time. Offset looks to be ET51 for the A3 wheels so it should fit the GTI.
I hope so. They're made in Austria and were 5 spoke rims. I believe he said they came off of the previous generation A3.
May 7, 2007
77 posts
32 upvotes
I just received my GTI yesterday...and I still can't figure out if it has the VAQ limited slip differential. Dealership said no, but it has the setting to put diff in sport or normal mode like on previous performance pack GTIs which had it. Has anyone taken a look under the car to see if its physically there?

In the US it's available on both the SE and Autobahn model which also both have the big brakes, it's only not included on the S with smaller brakes.
Apr 24, 2014
772 posts
253 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:44 am
Did anyone buy a front license plate relocator so they didn't drill holes into their bumper? Nextmod is selling one for around $140. Apparently the cheaper ones suck.
Did you get yours with DAP? The tow hook plate may interfere with that. There's someone on the CW FB group I think that is 3D printing a re-locator. Personally I was never a fan of off center license plates but that's just my opinion. Look at the Europeans, they never complain :lol:
Apr 24, 2014
772 posts
253 upvotes
redarmy wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:48 am
I just received my GTI yesterday...and I still can't figure out if it has the VAQ limited slip differential. Dealership said no, but it has the setting to put diff in sport or normal mode like on previous performance pack GTIs which had it. Has anyone taken a look under the car to see if its physically there?

In the US it's available on both the SE and Autobahn model which also both have the big brakes, it's only not included on the S with smaller brakes.
Since our base model is a swirl of S and SE I think it's possible that we do. I noticed it in the menu too but haven't had a chance to get under the car, nor do I know exactly what I'd be looking for. Easiest way would be to get a US S owner to take a picture of that menu to see if the Sport diff is listed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

ricky666888