• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2019 5:22 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes

2019 Honda Insight coming this summer

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/111 ... =100637297

The end-of-year holiday season is just really starting, but information on Detroit auto show debuts next month is coming in.

A new hybrid car from one of the pioneers of hybrid-electric vehicles is notable, and that's what Honda has delivered.

The company said Tuesday morning that it will show a prototype of what will be the 2019 Honda Insight hybrid sedan in Detroit four weeks from now.

Honda released eight photos showing what's called the "Insight Prototype," though it looks about as close to a finished production car as any concept we've seen.

Interestingly, the third-generation Insight appears to be a hybrid version of the latest Civic, launched for the 2016 model year.

The Honda Civic Hybrid is dead! Long live the 2019 Honda Insight!

Honda said the new Insight will sit above the Civic in its lineup of passenger cars, offering "premium style and high fuel efficiency in a sophisticated and spacious five-passenger sedan."

Crucially, the 2019 Insight will use Honda's two-motor full hybrid system, pioneered on the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid sedan and now in its third generation in the 2018 version of that model.

That system is also used in the 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid, and is expected to appear in a future Honda CR-V Hybrid, a version of which has already been introduced in China.

The two-motor system allows sustained electric running for 1 mile or more, unlike the small mild-hybrid system used in the first- and second-generation Insights, which couldn't move the car on electric power alone.

Those cars were, respectively, a tiny two-seat hatchback (2000-2006) and a subcompact five-door hatchback (2010-2014).

The 2019 Insight, however, is a compact-to-mid-size four-door sedan—a far more popular segment for U.S. car buyers.

Honda said the latest Insight "takes an entirely new approach with the styling, packaging, premium features and performance desired by mainstream car buyers – a hybrid vehicle without any inherent compromise."

The fuel economy, really the primary reason for purchase of a hybrid these days, will be "competitive with other compact hybrid models," the company said.

That almost surely means the Toyota Prius, with a combined EPA rating of 56 mpg for its most efficient version, and the Hyundai Ioniq, at 58 mpg.

It will be a slightly smaller hybrid four-door sedan than the Accord Hybrid, new for 2018, for which fuel-economy ratings haven't yet been released.

That car will arrive at Honda dealers sometime in the first half of next year.

The Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid will also arrive in dealerships early next year, making the 2019 Insight the third of three hybrids launched within a year by Honda.

The 2018 Insight will also be built in the U.S., unlike the two previous generations, which were imported from Japan.

As such, it helps Honda by providing economies of scale for its high-volume Civic assembly line as passenger-sedan sales wane in the face of continually rising demand for SUVs and crossover utilities of all sizes.

The 2019 Honda Insight will go on sale in the summer of 2018, the company said. Pricing, final specifications and ratings, and trim details and features are only likely to appear a few weeks before it becomes available.

Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 19th, 2017 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
85 replies
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
Very nice looking! Its like a Civic/Accord hybrid.

I love the front, the headlights, grille, it's also got a tinge of a BMW M3 front bumper/lid too :)
Last edited by HN12345 on Dec 19th, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
It looks better than the Accord especially from the side and rear. What was Honda thinking?

Definitely would be interested if this can do 60 MPG combined for less than $28k (2018 Accord Hybrid base might start at $33k) + Honda Sensing.

Will wait for Toyota and other car makers' solid state battery technology to mature.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1263 upvotes
I've been looking out for something like this actually. The Ioniq and Niro aren't classy enough, the Accord hybrid is a bit too much, the Prius will always be a Prius lol. I'd have no issues driving this car around and would feel great getting 55-60mpgs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6022 posts
1868 upvotes
They stole the back end of the 17 Sonata (funny how Honda is now copying Hyundai lol?) but looks like a nice car. Any early word on pricing?
Apr 11, 2009
676 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: It looks better than the Accord especially from the side and rear. What was Honda thinking?

Definitely would be interested if this can do 60 MPG combined for less than $28k (2018 Accord Hybrid base might start at $33k) + Honda Sensing.

Will wait for Toyota and other car makers' solid state battery technology to mature.
Totally agree with you on this - this looks like a very nice refined Accord

Design wise:

Insight > Accord > Clarity
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
is this an ioniq competitor? size wise, seems to be similar. ioniq gets 56 mpg . feels like insight will beat it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: They stole the back end of the 17 Sonata (funny how Honda is now copying Hyundai lol?) but looks like a nice car. Any early word on pricing?
:)

Long horizontal tail lights are usually safer bets -- Audi used to have rectangular ones and they're now longitudinal.

2018 Buick Regal Sportback Photo Gallery
https://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gall ... -gallery#6
Jan 2, 2009
256 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
This should've been the design of the new Accord.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
sandini_power wrote:
This is the new

Totally agree with you on this - this looks like a very nice refined Accord

Design wise:

Insight > Accord > Clarity
07Ex wrote: This should've been the design of the new Accord.

The 2018 Accord Hybrid looks gorgeous imo.

2018-accord.jpg
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
I’m the perfect target market for this car. I wonder when the first models will show up in a Canadian show room.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
^ No turbo, direct injection and CVT to worry about if it's anything like the 2017/18 Honda Accord Hybrid.
Oct 20, 2010
654 posts
222 upvotes
considering my accord lease will be up mid 2020, this might be the next choice.
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
sandav wrote:
The 2018 Accord Hybrid looks gorgeous imo.

2018-accord.jpg
Lol. If you go to the accord thread in rfd , most rfd people called it fugly.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Over on Car and Driver, several comments suggest this has been the nicest looking model in a long time and yeah, another one noticed the Hyundai semblance but the outer tail lights stem from the 2012 Civic design.

On greencarreports, many said a sedan or HEV is not their cup of tea but if this is rated at 60 MPG, I may as well go for it. With 200k km driving, it will only be $4-5k more expensive than the typical BEV. It's also small enough for ease in parking and will come eith ACC LSF.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Dec 20th, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa
mathiewannabe wrote: Lol. If you go to the accord thread in rfd , most rfd people called it fugly.
Thank goodness I'm not like "most rfd people" :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1849 posts
454 upvotes
Brampton
2019 Honda Insight is your Civic Hybrid replacement, America

The Honda Insight hybrid is back, looks more premium than ever, and is promising a heady 50-plus miles per gallon. A prototype of the compact four-door is set to debut at next week's Detroit Auto Show, and Honda is hoping that the third time is finally the charm for this star-crossed nameplate.

At least for now, Honda isn't revealing a great deal about the new Insight's genetic makeup, let alone providing much in the way of performance specs. The company says that the engine will function as a generator in nearly all circumstances, enabling a version of its well-regarded 1.5-liter turbo four backed by a new two-motor hybrid system will deliver a city/highway EPA fuel economy rating in excess of 50 miles per gallon. That's an impressive number that will put it right in the hunt against its Toyota nemesis, all wrapped up in a less-divisive-looking package with "best-in-class passenger volume."

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019 ... t-america/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
Looks better than the civic and wayyy better than the Clarity.

should be interesting but I would have preferred a plug in hybrid.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Still wished I would've bought the 1st gen Honda Insight '06 rather than my current '07 civic.

Man, I would've been such a good value.