2019 Mazda3

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 6:07 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
nffclsr wrote: They stopped making the Lancer in 2017, it was getting really long in the tooth. Unfortunately the don't sell anything in the compact car category in Canada anymore.
The mirage is compact
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2399 posts
1088 upvotes

Seems like the back seats are pretty cramped...but maybe it just seems that way because the guy is tall and the front seats are pushed back
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1485 posts
869 upvotes
Markham
Here is an explanation of Mazda's new AWD system. I guess this will gradually roll out to their other vehicles when they get refreshed.

Oct 24, 2018
384 posts
365 upvotes
hoodlum wrote: Here is an explanation of Mazda's new AWD system. I guess this will gradually roll out to their other vehicles when they get refreshed.

Well there goes my interest in that Mazda awd. If I buy an awd vehicle I want power going to all 4 wheels all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people who will like a fwd car that can transfer power to all 4 wheels though.
Oct 25, 2011
499 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
nffclsr wrote: Well there goes my interest in that Mazda awd. If I buy an awd vehicle I want power going to all 4 wheels all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people who will like a fwd car that can transfer power to all 4 wheels though.
What's the difference if the FWD bias car can anticipate the need of AWD before it happens... It's a car. You're not going to be taking it off-roading.
Last edited by DoogeCoinR on Nov 29th, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Didn't watch the video in its entirely. So this AWD has got brake based torque vectoring?
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
nffclsr wrote: Well there goes my interest in that Mazda awd. If I buy an awd vehicle I want power going to all 4 wheels all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people who will like a fwd car that can transfer power to all 4 wheels though.
Why would you want to waste power like that?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4156 posts
522 upvotes
he's probably trying to set 0-60 record at each light
full-time awd in the city is overkill
at the end of the day, this is an econobox and Skyactiv places huge emphasis on fuel efficiency, they're not gonna piss that away with power to all wheels 100% of the time
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Corolla moves to multilink rear suspension and Mazda to a more reliable torsion beam.

Interesting times. Maybe it's because of the unlimited km warrany that forced this decision?
No because they said it's for improved NVH.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2 ... ment-58696

Biggest drawback to the new model imho. The current Mazda 3 has multi-link rears.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote: Corolla moves to multilink rear suspension and Mazda to a more reliable torsion beam.

Interesting times. Maybe it's because of the unlimited km warrany that forced this decision?
Exactly... Never thought the day would come that I'd prefer a Corolla over Mazda3

The Corolla's direct shift CVT is an interesting piece of tech too... Engineering Explained has a great video on it
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
What are the usual issues with the current gen Mazda3's? I don't care about the rust issue lol.

I read resale value is not as high as Honda or Toyota but maybe it's better to shop for a used Mazda3 hatchback once these new model is out.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: What are the usual issues with the current gen Mazda3's? I don't care about the rust issue lol.

I read resale value is not as high as Honda or Toyota but maybe it's better to shop for a used Mazda3 hatchback once these new model is out.
I believe they fixed rust issue a while ago. Currently I would say, they are lacking in technology department (infotainment is really dated. They only recently got AA, AC), backseat space is tight, cargo room is smaller than competitors. There is no speedier variant like Civic Si, Elantra GT, Golf GTI etc. I personally don't like the long hood. It makes is harder to park and maneuver. Wish it was smaller and they used that space for backseat legroom. But it's something to do with their engine placement. They need more room there.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Sounds like there are not a lot of mechanical issues. Those issues you listed is not going to concern me so much. :)

With our Honda Accord, there was this VTC actuator grind and many were plagued with excessive oil consumption but ours didn't seem to drink oil especially when we follow the maintenance minder and do OCI between 13-15k cause the car is mostly highway driven.

Then Honda fixed the issue with the 1.5T so oil level doesn't go low but get replenished with fuel. :)
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Thanks. If the cars are in warranty, why do they required $? Or are people with much older cars still reporting their issues? I tend to discount experiences of 2nd hand (and so on) owners because the car they bought may actually not be well taken care of to begin with and most of these are outside of factory warranty periods.

So Mazda3's seem reliable enough during the warranty period but not outside of it when these complaints start coming out?
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Thanks. If the cars are in warranty, why do they required $?

So Mazda3's seem reliable enough during the warranty period but not outside of it when these complaints start coming out?
I think the spikes in complaints occurred in redesign years. 2017/2018 would be pretty safe to buy for the current gen.
Warranties have fine prints. Most recalls shouldn't cost money.
Last edited by BBZero on Nov 30th, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Warranties have fine print but I've taken my cars to the dealership and not one warranty issue had been denied. Of course, I don't have OCD and not pushing every minor issues relating to wear of suspension components.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote: It's not a big deal with BSM and 360 camera techs in today's car
It is a big deal to a lot of people. I like the look of it and I get why they did this for exterior looks, but this would be hard to live with day to day. It's ridiculous and would make it hard to drive in heavy traffic.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-h ... 1830754940
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
aleks wrote: It is a big deal to a lot of people. I like the look of it and I get why they did this for exterior looks, but this would be hard to live with day to day. It's ridiculous and would make it hard to drive in heavy traffic.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-3-h ... 1830754940
+1

The current model has tiny windows and they managed to make the rear windows even smaller for the hatch. Wtf