• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 5:12 pm
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
673 upvotes
Xtrema wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 6:23 pm
That said, unless something magical happens, I don't think Leaf with 60kwh battery will beat Niro/Kona in range.
Have Hyundai/Kia released their prices yet?
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3507 posts
811 upvotes
Montreal
Too little too late too expensive
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6033 posts
703 upvotes
Without rebate, it's a hard sale at this price. Same applies to other cheaper EV. Tesla is a different story as people in that price range don't care as much about the rebate (I know someone will be having their new Tesla 3 in a couple weeks, but not bothered by missing the rebate).
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3542 posts
2181 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 1:09 am
Have Hyundai/Kia released their prices yet?
No.

In Norway:
Kona: $42K (top model)
eGolf: $30K (base)

eGolf in US: $30.5K (base)

So Kona should be somewhere in the $38-$42K USD (probably $45K to $55K in CAD) and Niro will be about 7% more based on Korean price differential.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4825 posts
929 upvotes
Ottawa
golden wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 9:03 am
Without rebate, it's a hard sale at this price. Same applies to other cheaper EV. Tesla is a different story as people in that price range don't care as much about the rebate (I know someone will be having their new Tesla 3 in a couple weeks, but not bothered by missing the rebate).
I agree that there are probably several Tesla buyers that aren't as concerned about getting the rebate but it's also proportionally less so the impact is not as significant.

On a $40-45k LEAF, FFE, Smart, Ioniq, e-Golf, etc, $13k (aftertax) (i.e. $27-32k) is huge - on a $60-70k Telsa or whatever (i.e. $47-57k), is not nearly as significant. Given the choice, I'm sure all of them would rather have it in their pocket but it's not as big of a difference as far as relative affordability (if you could afford $55k, you'll probably spend $65k where as there's a significant difference between spending $30k vs $40k).
Sep 25, 2015
187 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
michelb wrote:
Sep 27th, 2018 1:00 pm
I agree that there are probably several Tesla buyers that aren't as concerned about getting the rebate but it's also proportionally less so the impact is not as significant.

On a $40-45k LEAF, FFE, Smart, Ioniq, e-Golf, etc, $13k (aftertax) (i.e. $27-32k) is huge - on a $60-70k Telsa or whatever (i.e. $47-57k), is not nearly as significant. Given the choice, I'm sure all of them would rather have it in their pocket but it's not as big of a difference as far as relative affordability (if you could afford $55k, you'll probably spend $65k where as there's a significant difference between spending $30k vs $40k).
FFE is no longer available so probably not a fair comparison. MSRP for FFE was about 30k + freight.

I'm interested in the 2019 leaf with extended range. I inquired at a few dealers but they don't have any information on about it. Not a single brochure.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
typer100 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2018 6:17 pm
Here we go gain... Why do you need more range for more money? Keep the same range an take the price down.
Who drives 300 km per day?
You're right. On a typical day, you wouldn't need anywhere close to 300km.

But what happens if you want to go to Algonquin Park from Toronto (3+hr one-way trip)
How about fishing at a lake 2hrs away from where you live?
How about visiting a friend's cottage 2hrs away from where you live?
If you're trying to be green, and live in the city, you only want to have 1 car, so you need that car to do EVERYTHING.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2988 posts
1138 upvotes
yellowtrash wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:46 pm

But what happens if you want to go to Algonquin Park from Toronto (3+hr one-way trip)
If you're trying to be green, and live in the city, you only want to have 1 car, so you need that car to do EVERYTHING.
You stop to charge and have lunch. A 300km trip wouldn't be an issue because that's 1 stop to charge. It's the trips over 300km that would need a rental.

All that being said, why are we buying cars with the 3-4 trips we make a year as our focus? My Leaf covers 95% of my driving easily, so I am not going to lose sleep over the 5%.
Current cell plans:
Fido $15 3gb
Koodo $40 for 5GB Public Mobile migration plan.

Affordable wireless is possible, just takes some creativity.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
dgnr8 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 7:29 pm
You stop to charge and have lunch. A 300km trip wouldn't be an issue because that's 1 stop to charge. It's the trips over 300km that would need a rental.

All that being said, why are we buying cars with the 3-4 trips we make a year as our focus? My Leaf covers 95% of my driving easily, so I am not going to lose sleep over the 5%.
hey, take it easy, I'm totally pro-electric car. I just want to see a little more before I dive in.
I get it, with stopping over for a break at level 3 chargers, its not that far off from the 5-10min it takes to fill up a gas car too.
At this point in time, you need to be more cautious, plan routes around the level 3 chargers, and sometimes not go your ideal route either.
A lot of people are simply used to "get up and go" , and "figure it out on the road". Its what makes life fun, especially as I like the outdoors. The carefree-ness of "oh well, missed that gas station, there'll be another one up the road" is not there yet.
Eventually, it will get there, but that lifestyle is simply not there yet with EV's
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2513 posts
1115 upvotes
Pothole city
yellowtrash wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 5:46 pm

Don't get me wrong if you want to pay extra thousands for the occasional round trip, fine with me.
There's a whole network of charging station in Ontario, they just don't have the big sign on the side of the road to locate them... yet.

I just don't understand why you need to keep adding more range to EVs while the low range models are removed from the lineup.
Tesla already offers that options, but very far from 25K new. You need to go for a used EV to get one for 25K.

It's crazy what range anxiety can do... When I talk to people, their sweet spot for range varies from 300-500 km.
Who's right?
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
typer100 wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 6:21 pm
Don't get me wrong if you want to pay extra thousands for the occasional round trip, fine with me.
There's a whole network of charging station in Ontario, they just don't have the big sign on the side of the road to locate them... yet.

I just don't understand why you need to keep adding more range to EVs while the low range models are removed from the lineup.
Tesla already offers that options, but very far from 25K new. You need to go for a used EV to get one for 25K.

It's crazy what range anxiety can do... When I talk to people, their sweet spot for range varies from 300-500 km.
Who's right?
A few extra thousand, sure, people pay a few extra thousand for an upgraded trim package, a different colour, and extra features on their (gasoline) car all the time

Heck, I paid extra for a laptop with a extra large battery so that I can "extend its range" too.
Come to think of it, its exactly like a laptop. Some people say "I stay at home mainly, so I need a laptop that lasts for 3hrs" and others say "I'm out of town and on the go once a month, so I need the battery to last 9hrs"
Sure, you can always find a power outlet SOMEWHERE, and quite easily. But, if you have a busy lifestyle you don't always have the luxury (and time) to plan around stopping by at the starbucks for 20min to charge up.
So, yes while the traveller stays in the office 90% of the time and doesn't need extended battery, when he goes on trips and gets delayed at airports, security, etc, it REAAALLY counts to have that extended capacity.

When early laptops first came out with batteries lasting only 1hr, I'm sure people were questioning that too.
But after the technology improved, and they got 3-4hrs, then people started saying "yea I can really be mobile for 3-4hrs now which is practical in my life, whereas being mobile for only 1hr was not"
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
2513 posts
1115 upvotes
Pothole city
yellowtrash wrote:
Dec 19th, 2018 4:39 pm
A few extra thousand, sure, people pay a few extra thousand for an upgraded trim package, a different colour, and extra features on their (gasoline) car all the time

Heck, I paid extra for a laptop with a extra large battery so that I can "extend its range" too.
Come to think of it, its exactly like a laptop. Some people say "I stay at home mainly, so I need a laptop that lasts for 3hrs" and others say "I'm out of town and on the go once a month, so I need the battery to last 9hrs"
Sure, you can always find a power outlet SOMEWHERE, and quite easily. But, if you have a busy lifestyle you don't always have the luxury (and time) to plan around stopping by at the starbucks for 20min to charge up.
So, yes while the traveller stays in the office 90% of the time and doesn't need extended battery, when he goes on trips and gets delayed at airports, security, etc, it REAAALLY counts to have that extended capacity.

When early laptops first came out with batteries lasting only 1hr, I'm sure people were questioning that too.
But after the technology improved, and they got 3-4hrs, then people started saying "yea I can really be mobile for 3-4hrs now which is practical in my life, whereas being mobile for only 1hr was not"
Man, I think you need to lower your brightness... Your battery will last a lot longer!
Apr 21, 2004
50626 posts
15421 upvotes
Different households have differing driving needs.

Good for those who can get by with a 100 km (winter) BEV.

Wife drives a lot for work so we need a 300 km winter (more like 220 really but would like to account for degradation over the years).

I mean if it cannot even do that once a week commute during winter (3-4 months), what's the point of my household spending the BEV premium and still require an ICEV for that longest distance driving?

For other leisure driving, majority will be covered except for interstate or interprovincial driving we have rarely done anyway.