• Apr 15th, 2019 2:46 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1183 posts
964 upvotes
EDMONTON

2019 Subaru Forester first reviews

People seem to really like it, a lot more premium that before. Cargo space wide. Looks like the models with fabric seats might have a really nice fabric wrap on the doors.

167 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
2797 posts
452 upvotes
Water loo
the facial recognition looks pretty cool. no more fiddling with the seat adjusters.
Mar 3, 2009
55 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Features seem good. Its available at dealerships end of September. Anyone potentially buying? I'd be interested to know if anyone manages to get anything off msrp.
Jul 28, 2009
455 posts
29 upvotes
Seems really nice. Didn't know Canada was Subaru's 3rd biggest market. Upcoming Rav4 and this seem so much better than CR-V.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1826 posts
1014 upvotes
Markham
green_sky wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 2:25 pm
Seems really nice. Didn't know Canada was Subaru's 3rd biggest market. Upcoming Rav4 and this seem so much better than CR-V.
Actually its not surprising regarding their success in Canada, Subaru has in essence grown pretty much every year since 2008. Prior to 2008 Subaru was very stable selling about 15-16K units a year and was one of the few recession-proof automakers back then, today they sell over 50K yearly. Their explosion in popularity in the United States was actually even more surprising since they're selling outside of the snow belt and easily outsells VW in the US despite being significantly smaller. Of all the Japanese automakers only Honda and Subaru heavily rely on North American sales, if either has a dreadful sales year in North America they'd be in serious trouble.
Aug 30, 2017
189 posts
69 upvotes
bbcd wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 1:22 pm
Features seem good. Its available at dealerships end of September. Anyone potentially buying? I'd be interested to know if anyone manages to get anything off msrp.
I'm potentially in the market, but it would depend on the trim offerings. I went to my local Subaru dealership and they're in the dark as to the trim packages. They suggested looking at the Outback as kind of a guideline as to how Subaru Canada will trim out the Forester, but based on that it's still similar to what we've seen in the past - the base models are a little too bare and no options to add features while the middle tier trims have the stuff i'm not too keen on. Obviously the higher trims have the features I want, but are out of my budget.
Aug 4, 2018
3 posts
starkickers wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 4:59 pm
I'm potentially in the market, but it would depend on the trim offerings. I went to my local Subaru dealership and they're in the dark as to the trim packages. They suggested looking at the Outback as kind of a guideline as to how Subaru Canada will trim out the Forester, but based on that it's still similar to what we've seen in the past - the base models are a little too bare and no options to add features while the middle tier trims have the stuff i'm not too keen on. Obviously the higher trims have the features I want, but are out of my budget.
This should help you although we might see minor changes for Canada:

https://www.subaru.com/guides/forester/ ... =MY19#p=15

https://www.subaru-global.com/models/fo ... index.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
1183 posts
964 upvotes
EDMONTON
Despite not knowing yet what the trims actually contain for features in the Canadian market, invoice pricing reports for the 2019 Forester are live on Unhaggle.
Jul 28, 2009
455 posts
29 upvotes
Touring with EyeSight seems like the best trim.

Edit: You'll probably need the sport trim if you want the IIHS Top Pick Plus for the steering responsive headlights. Advertise the cars as top picks. Have to go few trims in to get the model that qualifies. Same with some $75k plus luxury cars. Base headlights are mediocre. Sigh.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
2103 posts
942 upvotes
Ontario
What a minger!
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2627 posts
1513 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah Sport trim seems like the sweet spot. Now imagine it with the 2.4 turbo and 300 HP/TQ.
Mar 17, 2016
792 posts
582 upvotes
jzmtl wrote:
Aug 24th, 2018 5:16 pm
Yeah Sport trim seems like the sweet spot. Now imagine it with the 2.4 turbo and 300 HP/TQ.
oh man...I'd go lineup at the dealer door now if they had it. I am still so disappointed they got rid of the turbo and left us one engine choice. They've finally ironed out all the issues from previous generation and they go and drop the best part. I really hope they decide to bring that Ascent engine over.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
48996 posts
14431 upvotes
^ What issues were there in the previous gen. A friend opted for the 2018 but didn't get as much discount as inventories were already scarce when he started shopping for one.

I wonder how first year production models fare for Subaru if even for loyal Toyota fans, they try to wait until the second year.