Automotive

2019 Subaru Forester recent deal

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 12:02 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2018
4 posts

2019 Subaru Forester recent deal

I'm thinking to get a touring + eyesight trim for 2019 forester. I've been to the dealer in Toronto and test drove it. Overall is good except the under-powered which I could tolerate.
MSRP is $32,995, the dealer can make it $1500 off plus the Holiday $500 off . Is this a good deal ? Do you guys think there is more room I could further negotiate down? This is based on lease solution and also thinking 3 or 4 year term considering the cost- efficient residual ? Any input would be appreciated.
17 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11297 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Use the time of the year to your advantage!

Subaru Canada works on a calendar year system for bonuses and promotions to dealers so they set up their targets to hit that end at the end of the year (ie December 31). Any dealer which is close to their targets will want to/need to squeeze in a few more sales in order to meet those targets which in some cases may mean a big discount or better access to inventory for the next year. As such, those dealers have an incentive to sell AND deliver before the end of the year (last actual delivery date is January 2nd so that it counts in the previous year's numbers). The best deals can be had for the inventory they already have on the lot (ie. so that they can deliver it to you before the end of the year)... anything else, won't be as good.

Check the dealer websites to see if they have what you want on the lot (or what you will accept as the colour may not be your first choice). Since you are in Toronto, you have multiple dealers around you so I would get the word out to them that you are looking to buy and take delivery before the end of the year. Some dealers may think you are just fishing for a deal (in a sense you are) but to make a better case you are looking to buy and take delivery, talk about a particular car or cars they have on the lot (hence checking their inventory online). The dealers which are close to their target will start sending signals that they want to sell it to you before the end of the year (ie. statements like 'what can we do to make this happen before the end of year') while the others won't really respond or be cool to your advances.

I know this to be true as that's how I brought my Subaru and the dealer pressed me to come in before the end of the year (January 2nd to be exact so that's why I know that's the last day) to take delivery... they even sweetened the deal so that I would come in a day early on the 2nd as I wanted to do it on the 3rd.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2018
4 posts
Hey, thanks you, Craftsman! What do you think is a good approach? Just by sending emails and get the quotes from different dealers or drop in to the face to face negotiation ?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11297 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mtagaran wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 2:39 pm
Hey, thanks you, Craftsman! What do you think is a good approach? Just by sending emails and get the quotes from different dealers or drop in to the face to face negotiation ?
Basically, all of your talking at the first dealer got you $2,000 off. I'm assuming that you got the sales person's name and they got yours so that's your minimum deal already - the price can only get better from there.

Your first step would be to look at the dealer websites and see what they have in stock. Once you decided on what you want, I would start sending out e-mails tailored to that particular dealer's stock especially to the dealers a bit farther out - you don't want to drive an hour, spend two hours talking only to find out that they won't deal! You might also want to see if you can figure out what's been on the lot longer (ie it's been sitting there) as the longer it's on the lot the more they may want to move it out faster and if that one fits what you are looking for, then why not but ensure that you mention that particular car in your e-mail so that they know you have been doing your homework on what you want (adds to the credibility as well). Let them know you are serious about buying before the end of the month - make up a credible reason if you have to so that they know you want to buy. Some dealers won't respond... some will but say 'come on in and let's talk'... while others will say 'let us know how we can win your business'. With the dealers that respond, if you don't get a better price than the $2,000 off, tell them that another dealer has already offered $2,000 off and see if they can do better. Once you are at this stage, you basically know which dealer is close to their targets (ie the ones that are still working with you on price) and the ones that don't care.

I've found that dropping in is the last step really as you can spend a lot of time talking and get nothing in return and you can only visit so many dealers before the end of the year. Only drop by the dealer once you get close to the end. As luck would have it, that may also coincide with any Boxing Day promos that may happen...
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3421 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
You're not going to get much discount on a brand new MY, discounts will get better as time goes on. Especially on a Subaru which is a pretty hot brand for some reason.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7682 posts
2066 upvotes
mtagaran wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 1:33 pm
I'm thinking to get a touring + eyesight trim for 2019 forester. I've been to the dealer in Toronto and test drove it. Overall is good except the under-powered which I could tolerate.
MSRP is $32,995, the dealer can make it $1500 off plus the Holiday $500 off . Is this a good deal ? Do you guys think there is more room I could further negotiate down? This is based on lease solution and also thinking 3 or 4 year term considering the cost- efficient residual ? Any input would be appreciated.
I think this is a pretty good deal provided you don't fall for the bogus fees and additions that dealers try and get you on just before signing, Especially considering this is a new model.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11297 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
blexann wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 9:28 pm
I think this is a pretty good deal provided you don't fall for the bogus fees and additions that dealers try and get you on just before signing, Especially considering this is a new model.
That's why most people advise to only deal with ON-THE-ROAD/OUT-THE-DOOR pricing where the dealer presents the final number after all of the fees, taxes and BS are included. That way, you can actually compare the deals to each other rather than being surprised at the end of the day.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11297 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
CoolDudeClan wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 7:56 pm
You're not going to get much discount on a brand new MY, discounts will get better as time goes on. Especially on a Subaru which is a pretty hot brand for some reason.
Normally, I would agree with you. However, the end of the year is a special time for dealers who have had a poor year and need to make up sales before time runs out. The trick is to be able to identify those dealers when you need to buy a car.
May 21, 2015
725 posts
338 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Is there a subie dealer somewhere that's had a bad year?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11297 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Beneful1 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 3:14 am
Is there a subie dealer somewhere that's had a bad year?
It's all relative to the targets they want to hit. I'm sure all Subaru dealers in the past few years have had very good years but that just means that the sales targets increase every year to account for that.
Feb 13, 2012
11 posts
8 upvotes
BRAMPTON
$1500 dealer plus, $500 holiday bonus seems like a decent deal. My wife purchased a ‘19 sport in Dec and we only could get $700 off plus bonus (also the 2% loyalty rate reduction). We tried to haggle but sales manager said the sports are in high demand (we have to wait about a month for ours). He offered $2k off MSRP if we wanted to step up to the limited as they had a few on the lot. My wife was set on the sport though and in the end we got a few accessories (remote starter, winter mats, bumber guard) thrown in. So we are happy...other than the wait!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2373 posts
138 upvotes
Not counting the $500 holiday bonus (because that comes from Subaru Canada), I think you came away with a good discount from the dealer.

First off, you received $700 off MSRP. Next, loyalty discount of 2% on a $35K car is also $700. Finally, those accessories add up to another $700 (as per subaru.ca) or maybe $350 (if 3rd party). In total, you either removed $2100 or $1750 away from the dealer's pockets. Enjoy your new car!

GoldenArms81 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 3:09 pm
$1500 dealer plus, $500 holiday bonus seems like a decent deal. My wife purchased a ‘19 sport in Dec and we only could get $700 off plus bonus (also the 2% loyalty rate reduction). We tried to haggle but sales manager said the sports are in high demand (we have to wait about a month for ours). He offered $2k off MSRP if we wanted to step up to the limited as they had a few on the lot. My wife was set on the sport though and in the end we got a few accessories (remote starter, winter mats, bumber guard) thrown in. So we are happy...other than the wait!
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11297 posts
4609 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
GoldenArms81 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 3:09 pm
That's why shopping online to see what they have in stock is important - ie the more they have, the cheaper it may be. You were lucky to get a discount on one that they didn't have on the lot!