Automotive

2019 Toyota Corolla LE vs 2018 Honda Civic Ex both at $27k - which one to get? any better options under $30k?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2018 10:07 am
[OP]
Sep 9, 2015
95 posts
62 upvotes
North York, ON

2019 Toyota Corolla LE vs 2018 Honda Civic Ex both at $27k - which one to get? any better options under $30k?

My father has been offered the 2019 Toyota Corolla LE and 2018 Honda Civic EX both for the same price. He and myself are enable to decide which one. I myself am open to look for other deals that might have better options for our budget which is under 30k. I am also open to travel 100-200 kms away from the GTA to get a better deal if available. Please advise everyone. Thank you!
Last edited by Ameliaski on Jul 29th, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
15 replies
Nov 6, 2016
180 posts
49 upvotes
Another option could be the 2018 Elantra GLS, which is packed full of features and can be had for a little over 25k out the door.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2491 posts
1003 upvotes
MARKHAM
alexh9 wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 9:36 pm
Another option could be the 2018 Elantra GLS, which is packed full of features and can be had for a little over 25k out the door.
could get elantra sport for under 30k. its even cheaper than elantra limited/se version but better in every spec except without the safety features.
Jan 28, 2016
17 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What dealers did he get these quotes at
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2192 posts
568 upvotes
Ameliaski wrote:
Jul 29th, 2018 9:04 pm
My father has been offered the 2019 Toyota Corolla LE and 2018 Honda Civic EX both for the same price. He and myself are enable to decide which one. I myself am open to look for other deals that might have better options for our budget which is under 30k. I am also open to travel 100-200 kms away from the GTA to get a better deal if available. Please advise everyone. Thank you!
I am biased to the Corolla since I have a 2003 Corolla CE with 527,000K on it and runs like the day I bought it new in 2002. Also check out Car Help Canada to make sure you are getting the best deal. Speaking from experience well worth the $60 membership fee.
https://www.carhelpcanada.com/
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3668 posts
2314 upvotes
Civic is a better driver and Carplay/Android Auto. Corolla has more safety tech on a base model.

Civic supports Canadian workers. Corolla supports Mexican workers.

I would pick Civic if they are priced the same.

I would only pick Corolla if it's significantly cheaper (in borrowing cost or MSRP).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
835 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Xtrema wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 3:43 pm
Civic is a better driver and Carplay/Android Auto. Corolla has more safety tech on a base model.

I would only pick Corolla if it's significantly cheaper (in borrowing cost or MSRP).
+1
Have him test drive them. That's the best way. How about looks? The Civic definitely has a sportier look if that's important.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4193 posts
584 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Xtrema wrote:
Jul 30th, 2018 3:43 pm

When did they change making Corolla from Ontario to Mexico? I'd definitely get a civic then!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8522 upvotes
GTHA
sixer wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 9:22 am
When did they change making Corolla from Ontario to Mexico? I'd definitely get a civic then!
@Xtrema is wrong about Corolla's being built in Mexico.

Toyota had plans to build the next generation Corolla in Mexico. They are now going to build it in a new plant in the US.

Toyota Confirms It Will Scale Back Investment in a New Mexican Plant
http://fortune.com/2017/10/24/toyota-me ... nvestment/

New Toyota-Mazda plant will bring Corolla output to USA, not Mexico
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 539179001/
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
674 upvotes
Currently Toyota is making Corolla both in the U.S. and Canada (possibly some import from Japan too). I believe Canadian production ends soon (if it hasn't happened yet) to prepare for new RAV4 arriving later this year.
May 17, 2017
290 posts
187 upvotes
Waterloo
I JUST shopped this segment:

- Corolla: get this if you want active safety features and rock solid reliability at the lowest price possible
- Civic: this is noticeable larger than the Corolla, but you will pay more for active safety. lower sedan models also only get the 2.0L
- Elantra: yes, the sport model with the 1.6T is below 30k but there are concerns with the dry clutch DCT drivability.
- Mazda 3: the 2.0 feels fairly underpowered and the ride is rough. best steering and tactility in the class though.

edit: since this has been mentioned as an alternative

- Golf: Daily drove this for a while. Punchy turbocharged motor and stable ride, but awful headlights and small impact ride quality poor on Continental OEM tires. Common expensive issues that occur include rear main seal and PCV failure. Driver Assistance package equipped cars are AT LEAST 28k (available for 20k on Corolla, 22k on Civic).

I cannot suggest this without the 6 year warranty the US market gets, and when the Civic 1.5T is faster to 60 from standing & rolling as well as top gear passing as per Car & Driver.
Last edited by AstulzerRSX on Aug 1st, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2007
1713 posts
332 upvotes
I would go Civic with the Mazda 3 now being made in Mexico. Corolla would be option #3 or 4 to be honest.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
9527 posts
1551 upvotes
Toronto
Corolla back floor does not have that hump. Safety features and that adaptive cruise is very useful.

Civic and Mazda do, correct me if I'm wrong.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2491 posts
1003 upvotes
MARKHAM
AstulzerRSX wrote:
Jul 31st, 2018 12:45 pm
I JUST shopped this segment:

- Corolla: get this if you want active safety features and rock solid reliability at the lowest price possible
- Civic: this is noticeable larger than the Corolla, but you will pay more for active safety. lower sedan models also only get the 2.0L
- Elantra: yes, the sport model with the 1.6T is below 30k but there are concerns with the dry clutch DCT drivability.
- Mazda 3: the 2.0 feels fairly underpowered and the ride is rough. best steering and tactility in the class though.
Could get manual for the elantra sport. Even cheaper