• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 6:50 pm
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46681 posts
12702 upvotes
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 5:41 pm
Is the US pricing usually higher compared to Canadian trims for RAV4? Looking at their announced pricing for gas trims and converting to CAD, seems to be unreasonably high when compared to actual Canadian MSRPs.
Edit: For example: Limited AWD: US = 34900 USD ~ 46443 CAD vs 40690 CAD our MSRP. Am I missing something?
Yes. The discounts in the US are far greater than what we get here but still, MSRP here has been significantly cheaper, relative to FX rates.

Extended warranty down south is much cheaper too.

You're still game for they hybrid? :) I just read how BMW is lagging its German peers on 48V system and here with our with Toyota hybrids, which I think are mostly beltless like some higher end MBenzes.

Except for battery (if it goes kaput after the eight year and cost $2.5k in the US), I think hybrid is the way to go with electrical a/c, lack of alternator and starter and brake pads that probably last 75k or more. We have 49k on our RAV4 and the brake pad depth are still pretty good.
Last edited by alanbrenton on Nov 20th, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6405 posts
1166 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 6:59 pm
I'll take a wild guess that the XSE hybrid will be $41k.
That would be a steal...don't forget it's also the best performing of all models
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46681 posts
12702 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 7:14 pm
That would be a steal...don't forget it's also the best performing of all models
Our top of the lin RAV4H in 2016 had that MSRP so it's quite possible.

I usually don't buy the top of the line and the add-on package but we could only get DRC with the technology package then and trims were limited to Limited and XLE I believe. There were no SE or XSE trims.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3529 posts
1128 upvotes
AB
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 7:12 pm
You're still game for they hybrid? :)
ha, yes, still interested in RAV4 Hybrid. It turned into more of a long term project though :) Decided to keep my current car a bit longer. Out of all the trims I would probably go for the XLE.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46681 posts
12702 upvotes
ciuvak wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 7:32 pm
ha, yes, still interested in RAV4 Hybrid. It turned into more of a long term project though :) Decided to keep my current car a bit longer. Out of all the trims I would probably go for the XLE.
Even better. Then you can wait for a better deal down the road.

My congratulations/condolences if you own a Toyota and are cursed with long-term reliability and low cost of ownership. I am a believer in Toyota and Lexus now after being in the Honda fold for so long. :)
Nov 16, 2018
4 posts
1 upvote
Motormouth posted his review on YouTube today and some tidbit of info was very interesting. The US models with the panoramic roof are built in Japan. Added bonus if you ask me.
Jan 23, 2017
912 posts
721 upvotes
Calgary
Keomolok wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 8:37 pm
Motormouth posted his review on YouTube today and some tidbit of info was very interesting. The US models with the panoramic roof are built in Japan. Added bonus if you ask me.
Definitely a bit bummed on panoramic roof not making it to Canada.

Has anyone found a video/review with comments on visibility vs. the competition (thinking Forester)?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6405 posts
1166 upvotes
OKSpring wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:02 pm
Definitely a bit bummed on panoramic roof not making it to Canada.
Agree, big time miss for me
Has anyone found a video/review with comments on visibility vs. the competition (thinking Forester)?
Forester will be better, the reviews that I saw just mention that it's good
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Jan 3, 2008
822 posts
154 upvotes
W.GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 7:36 pm
Even better. Then you can wait for a better deal down the road.

My congratulations/condolences if you own a Toyota and are cursed with long-term reliability and low cost of ownership. I am a believer in Toyota and Lexus now after being in the Honda fold for so long. :)
I'm cursed. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Public Mobile
Feb 18, 2007
134 posts
14 upvotes
How reliable are these Toyota hybrid cars? Do the batteries need to be replace in 8 years?

I'm leaning towards the gas models.
Jan 23, 2017
912 posts
721 upvotes
Calgary
blexann wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:10 pm
Agree, big time miss for me

Forester will be better, the reviews that I saw just mention that it's good
There was a decent rearward view in a Redline Review (think it was around 21m30s) that makes it look pretty open and airy. But that was with the panoramic roof, shade open.

Can usually judge visibility fairly well based on where the windows are relative to shoulders. Looks similar to a Forester.

I might hold out a few years, hopefully the Canadian manufacturing plant gets sorted and can be retooled to incorporate the panoramic roof.
Jan 23, 2017
912 posts
721 upvotes
Calgary
MilKii wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 10:44 pm
How reliable are these Toyota hybrid cars? Do the batteries need to be replace in 8 years?

I'm leaning towards the gas models.
If they go within 8 years you're in luck, Toyota will replace them.

Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive (this is v2) has been incredibly reliable though.

Of note, they decided to still go with NiMH batteries which are tried and true (reliable) instead of Li-ion, to some peoples dismay.

The Trail model would be my pick.. But those hybrid mileage numbers are incredibly impressive. CVT is what would likely sway my decision, would like to be proved wrong!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1819 posts
247 upvotes
Red Deer
Not a bad looking vehicle. Love the front, don’t care much for the rear.

I like that they have Apple CarPlay and wireless Qi charging but, unless I’ve missed it, I wish they went all the way and offered, even as an option, wireless CarPlay.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

xjesterxx