• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 6:50 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4029 posts
474 upvotes
seriously, NiMH?

the same tech i used in my 1997 Radio Shack R/C toy?

I want to see a test between last gen Forester turbo, spanking new CX-5 turbo, aging RAV4 v6 vs the new Trail and new Hybrid with a focus on light off-road capabilities, mpg, drivetrain performance, for NVH

i'm a honda fanboy but the slightest whiff of oil/gas mixing in the CR-V means it's automatically disqualified
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 14, 2015
985 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OKSpring wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 11:05 pm
If they go within 8 years you're in luck, Toyota will replace them.

Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive (this is v2) has been incredibly reliable though.

Of note, they decided to still go with NiMH batteries which are tried and true (reliable) instead of Li-ion, to some peoples dismay.

The Trail model would be my pick.. But those hybrid mileage numbers are incredibly impressive. CVT is what would likely sway my decision, would like to be proved wrong!
There is no CVT on this vehicle right? or were you talking about Corolla Hybrid?
Koodo $40 8GB
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46681 posts
12702 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:01 am
There is no CVT on this vehicle right? or were you talking about Corolla Hybrid?
so far all Toyota hybrids come with e-CVT:
Jan 23, 2017
912 posts
721 upvotes
Calgary
SureshA720227 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 10:01 am
As others mentioned, CVT is on the Hybrid models, and the 2.5L gas engine is paired to an 8spd Auto.

I'll test drive them both once available, but I had a hard enough time buying an automatic coming from years of exclusively driving manuals.
May 1, 2018
494 posts
247 upvotes
Vancouver
So no specific specifications for the trim details it looks like.. At least it's not showing on Toyota Canada or US website
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12516 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:10 pm
Agree, big time miss for me

Forester will be better, the reviews that I saw just mention that it's good
Forester won't be better when you factor in the underpowered Boxer engines that are noisy and have head gasket issues.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6405 posts
1165 upvotes
hightech wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 9:39 pm
Forester won't be better when you factor in the underpowered Boxer engines that are noisy and have head gasket issues.

What does won't be better mean? My response was specific to it's outstanding visibility. I test drove it 2 times within the past week and I didn't find it overly noisy, more of a groan; was acceptable. I also didn't find it under-powered at all - it's competent. Now if your towing or drag racing well yea...
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3529 posts
1128 upvotes
AB
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 3:32 am
seriously, NiMH?
the same tech i used in my 1997 Radio Shack R/C toy?
I want to see a test between last gen Forester turbo, spanking new CX-5 turbo, aging RAV4 v6 vs the new Trail and new Hybrid with a focus on light off-road capabilities, mpg, drivetrain performance, for NVH
i'm a honda fanboy but the slightest whiff of oil/gas mixing in the CR-V means it's automatically disqualified
NiMH is probably cheaper for them, so of course cost could be the major driver to keep the old & proven tech. But I think another potentially good argument could also be how Li batteries of any kind are less reliable in extreme temperature swings.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46681 posts
12702 upvotes
From a comment on the Alex on Autos video:

Hybrids have more complexity but electric driven water pumps, fans, power steering, ac, no alternator, etc all combine to eliminate belts and mechanical stresses on many parts. It is actually easier to design reliability and provide variable speed to electric components allowing longer life and lower rpms more often. The electric drive motors are three phase high power brushless and have demonstrated almost no failures. The adkinson cycle gas engines are typically tuned for economy over low end torque and also have dynamic start stop at all speeds, effectively reducing run hours by 25% or more. The 12vdc control batteries are not used for starting or other high amp requirements, are agm, and are housed inside the cabin for 5 to 10 year lifespans. Brakes last well over 200k miles in many cases due to regenerative braking taking the vast majority of the braking requirements away from friction brakes. Plus Toyota warrants their hybrid components for 100k - 150k miles depending on the state. The HV batteries typically last longer than 150k miles, often 250k or more. Aftermarket rebuilding companies now supply warranted replacements for as low as $900 installed (a 30 minute no special tools process). Typical users save around $10k in fuel over 200k miles, making a HV battery swap less painful. Electric power control (the inverter/converter) was a primary challenge to make compact, affordable and reliable. They are separately water cooled while the HV batteries have integral cabin air cooling. Electric is the future especially when executed by the best.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2510 posts
1377 upvotes
Montreal
hightech wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 9:39 pm

Or you can stop listening to internet blowhards and come live in 2018 like the rest of us.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12516 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
jzmtl wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 12:39 pm
Or you can stop listening to internet blowhards and come live in 2018 like the rest of us.
I guess you are a Forester fanboy who turns a blind eye to head gasket issues and considers it as normal. I never had this issue in any of my vehicles in the last 25 years and 400K of driving.

Don't get my wrong, the Forester is a good vehicle and has plenty of good things (Visability, AWD system, handling). The big fly in the ointment is their pesky CVT and the engine durability and this where they have had issues (excessive oil consumption comes to mind). One way they are trying to reduce the head gasket issue is to get rid of the Turbo engine. The extra forces will just cause gasket failure quicker. They will spin it to say that they don't sell many Turbo's (probably because of the engine issues and the recommendation of Premium Fuel).
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3745 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hightech wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:08 pm
I guess you are a Forester fanboy who turns a blind eye to head gasket issues and considers it as normal. I never had this issue in any of my vehicles in the last 25 years and 400K of driving.

Don't get my wrong, the Forester is a good vehicle and has plenty of good things (Visability, AWD system, handling). The big fly in the ointment is their pesky CVT and the engine durability and this where they have had issues (excessive oil consumption comes to mind). One way they are trying to reduce the head gasket issue is to get rid of the Turbo engine. The extra forces will just cause gasket failure quicker. They will spin it to say that they don't sell many Turbo's (probably because of the engine issues and the recommendation of Premium Fuel).
Have not kept up with recent oil issues however thought their major oil issues were for 2014 models and before.

On forester forums they usually mention oil issues with 2.5 engine with manual... less issues mentioned with cvt and turbo [this is for 2015-2018].

Could be wrong as online forum not necessarily representative of foresters owners as a whole.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12516 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
georvu wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 3:28 pm
Have not kept up with recent oil issues however thought their major oil issues were for 2014 models and before.

On forester forums they usually mention oil issues with 2.5 engine with manual... less issues mentioned with cvt and turbo [this is for 2015-2018].

Could be wrong as online forum not necessarily representative of foresters owners as a whole.
That is good to know. I am looking for an SUV as my next vehicle and have always liked the Forester. The Engine/Transmission issues and small dealer network has been some concerns that have kept me from getting a Subaru.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3745 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
hightech wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 3:37 pm
That is good to know. I am looking for an SUV as my next vehicle and have always liked the Forester. The Engine/Transmission issues and small dealer network has been some concerns that have kept me from getting a Subaru.
Yeah, you raise valid points.

In GTA area I think there are enough dealerships to make it less of a concern however the engine/transmission issues... they are less however still there... mind you every vehicle in forester class has issues... CRV with gas in oil and low heat [not sure how many vehicles affected but 2019 will have "fix" from factory], Rogue has awful CVT, CX-5 not as roomy, Escape [well it is an Escape!!], RAV4 and Santa Fe are new. Hmmm... can't find anything wrong to say about Equinox other then it is GM but they have stepped up their game and diesel sounds interesting [low resale??]