Automotive

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2019 1:13 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
Given all the known issues with the 1.5T in colder climate conditions, I'm surprised Honda did not offer this Hybrid choice in Canada FIRST. I've owned many Honda's over the years but just can't get past this lack of accountability on this engine issue. Class actions & recalls internationally and the technical response is poor. Still don't trust Honda's CVTs to boot, as Toyota's Hybrid CVT has been well tested.

Guess Toyota RAV Hybrid will continue to erode CR-V sales for at least the next couple of years. Such a slow company adoption response to a growing demand. Guess Honda has to get it's engineering cost out of the failed 1.5L which will take a few years. Honda's pinnacle use to be reliable/innovative drive trains. They need to re-focus.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
Toyota has some sky high lease and finance rates for RAV4 hybrid. Over 5% for 48 month lease is ludicrous. What are they smoking over there?

If Honda gives their usual low rates then I can see them attracting plenty of customers.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hindenburg1 wrote: Toyota has some sky high lease and finance rates for RAV4 hybrid. Over 5% for 48 month lease is ludicrous. What are they smoking over there?
Yet, all hybrid models are already sold before they arrive at the dealer's lots and the wait time is still in months. Whatever they're smoking, it hasn't hurt their sales.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Yet, all hybrid models are already sold before they arrive at the dealer's lots and the wait time is still in months. Whatever they're smoking, it hasn't hurt their sales.
Are they really? That's crazy, all the gas savings are pretty much offset by those luxury car like rates.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Hindenburg1 wrote: Are they really? That's crazy, all the gas savings are pretty much offset by those luxury car like rates.
Yup. I suspect Honda will do the same to the CR-V hybrid if demand is solid. It's not like they are cutting deals on the Clarity.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
mr_raider wrote: Yup. I suspect Honda will do the same to the CR-V hybrid if demand is solid. It's not like they are cutting deals on the Clarity.
As noted, the hybrid is not coming to Canada until the Crv is redesigned.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Can't wait for the CRV and Civic redesign. The previous gen for both vehicles looked so much more normal lol.

To be honest I wouldn't mind trying Honda's two motor hybrid system if I need a new / newish car in a jiffy. The Insight looks nice but at $28k, it has no lumbar support or even heated steering wheel options.

Was just reading about LSD, eLSD and torque vectoring and it seems Honda really has one of the best torque vectoring AWD systems. Even better than Audi's regular quattro ( S an RS AWD probably better or at least comparable) Can't wait for Honda to start selling AWD BEVs with torque vectoring.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
alanbrenton wrote: Can't wait for the CRV and Civic redesign. The previous gen for both vehicles looked so much more normal lol.

To be honest I wouldn't mind trying Honda's two motor hybrid system if I need a new / newish car in a jiffy. The Insight looks nice but at $28k, it has no lumbar support or even heated steering wheel options.

Was just reading about LSD, eLSD and torque vectoring and it seems Honda really has one of the best torque vectoring AWD systems. Even better than Audi's regular quattro ( S an RS AWD probably better or at least comparable) Can't wait for Honda to start selling AWD BEVs with torque vectoring.
Is the Fit BEV still coming to NA? That's probably a viable option for our household as we already have the 2019 RAV4 hybrid. The Fit is my wife's car and being BEV would benefit her the most as she only drives around the city and requires only short ranges.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
rvs007 wrote: Is the Fit BEV still coming to NA? That's probably a viable option for our household as we already have the 2019 RAV4 hybrid. The Fit is my wife's car and being BEV would benefit her the most as she only drives around the city and requires only short ranges.
No clue. Haven't read any announcement.

If they can just fix the way the Clarity looks and make it look like the Insight and triple the driving range, I could go for it even if it's not AWD.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Yup. I suspect Honda will do the same to the CR-V hybrid if demand is solid. It's not like they are cutting deals on the Clarity.
Accord Hybrid has a really nice 0.99% rate right now which is what I am guessing this CRV will be based on. Clarity is not selling well at all, I rarely see them on the road.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2012
2151 posts
3218 upvotes
Hindenburg1 wrote: Are they really? That's crazy, all the gas savings are pretty much offset by those luxury car like rates.
Yes, know acquaintances that are on the wait list. Sales are real...Units are seriously back ordered. You'll get a 2019 model in 2020, lol. RAV4 is not about best price. It is about long-term reliability of a proven Hybrid system on a CUV segment customers are devouring. To date, most manufacturers can't claim Toyota's Hybrid reliability record as most are just beginning to enter the segment. The advantage for Toyota regardless of initial cost is much lower parts / on-going maintenance costs for longer term owners (due to massive sales volume).
Hindenburg1 wrote: Accord Hybrid has a really nice 0.99% rate right now which is what I am guessing this CRV will be based on. Clarity is not selling well at all, I rarely see them on the road.
CR-V has historically been Civic-based which I expect to continue. Sedan's aren't selling, period... (Accord/Camry sales are actually suffering). Honda will be pushing incentives big time on the Accord.
Last edited by DealRNothing on Sep 25th, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
If the Honda Hybrid could get the SH-AWD...

For those sedans that now offer AWD like the Altima and one or two others, damn hate the CVT (reliability down the road) and the AWD is likely ho-hum (no electronic LSD or better yet, torque vectoring).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Do you still drive the RAV4 Hybrid? Got tired of it? ;)
alanbrenton wrote: If the Honda Hybrid could get the SH-AWD...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I was over the Honda dealership an hour ago, you are right about this. The interior design does remind me about my brother's 10 year old Civic (where I picked up the touch-up for his car).

Edited: Honda Pilot is different, I actually like it over CRV.
DealRNothing wrote:
CR-V has historically been Civic-based which I expect to continue. Sedan's aren't selling, period... (Accord/Camry sales are actually suffering). Honda will be pushing incentives big time on the Accord.
Last edited by Menace on Sep 25th, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Menace wrote: Do you still drive the RAV4 Hybrid? Got tired of it? ;)
My wife does. I only drive it if I have to (to the car wash or gas station).

I still have my 02 Civic lol and haven't gotten tired of it. Next five years are going to be very interesting in the car industry with BEVs, hybrids and what not.

Interesting. If the next gen TLX does get a hybrid variant (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD), I will seriously consider it. I think what's lacking in the market are these sporty enough sedans with really good AWD systems. I can't bring myself to getting a car that does no better than 30 MPG combined. Even the RAV4H does better than that. It's a lot of money wasted on fuel.
https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/ac ... heel-drive
Last edited by alanbrenton on Sep 25th, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I actually love the Honda Pilot. Was the Hybrid version I saw in the showroom ??
alanbrenton wrote: My wife does. I only drive it if I have too (to car wash or gas station)

I still have my 02 Civic lol and haven't gotten tired of it.

Interesting. If the next gen TLX does get a hybrid variant (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD), I will seriously consider it.
https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/ac ... heel-drive
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Menace wrote: I actually love the Honda Pilot. Was the Hybrid version I saw in the showroom ??
I doubt Honda will put the SH-AWD in a Honda vehicle in my lifetime unless they close their Acura division.

I still remember lusting over those Preludes with Super something when our family had a 95 Integra 4 AT.