• Dec 23rd, 2018 9:44 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2049 posts
594 upvotes

2020 Passat

Not sure if anyone had shared this, but the new Passat is out, at least in China. This should be a pretty good representation of what we might get in 2020.
VW has always came up with timeless, classic exteriors. The current generation has been out since 2012 and it's aged pretty well. This new one is a lot classier and modern than the outgoing model.

Last edited by malecoke on Dec 15th, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3406 posts
2142 upvotes
Toronto
Audi style taillights are nice, as is the digital cluster.

The piano black instant scratch plastic interior is a BIG no. What a tragic decision.
FreezingCanada wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2015 5:41 pm
We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Feb 2, 2018
262 posts
203 upvotes
Montreal
Doesn't get the MQB platform. Volkswagen considers it not worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9120 posts
255 upvotes
Those look like fake exhaust tips again..
it's me ramin.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3929 upvotes
Toronto
i dont like the new passat and jetta line up.
after 2016 model year, their line up seems to cheap looking.

with exception of the golf R.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
663 upvotes
Another pos from VW with garbage materials and chase to be the new dodge in North America with boring underwhelming models where only the size gets bigger with each iteration

VW is basically like sharp of TVs except with higher price . Use a brand name to push low quality generic product , it's just a shell

Just look at their Jetta/Tiguan . Only golf is relevant in N.America market as something decent

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... ype-driven

Still going with a 6speed tranny in 2019 and handles worse than a Camry lol
Last edited by Gboard2 on Dec 15th, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24328 posts
4614 upvotes
I'd imagine they'd remove all the cheese-whiz chrome on the version we get here. Still if it's not going to be MQB, presumably remaining on PQ46 (?) it seems more like it's more like another facelift than a new vehicle.
Feb 6, 2018
78 posts
14 upvotes
I like the grill and headlights. The inside looks roomy also.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11182 posts
4400 upvotes
Toronto
destined for rental fleets everywhere, another turd from VW
Banned
Dec 12, 2018
10 posts
3 upvotes
Nothing spectacular. The inside barely changed.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1771 posts
978 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
You people don't know anything, this new Passat is amazing and VW builds great cars.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1043 posts
951 upvotes
ummm no thanks. Would rather a new Accord or Camry..and its not even close.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3041 posts
1807 upvotes
Around VW's handling course, the Passat's behavior is stoic. Highlights include a brake pedal that works through a firm stroke and delivers linear response, a comfortable and well-isolated ride that feels more refined than before, and accurate steering. But the car is not nearly as tossable or fun as the Accord or the Camry, nor as fluid as the Mazda 6, and it never beckons the driver to push harder.
That's all you need to know about the new VW Passat. It's just to keep some of the people working in Tennesse. I expect these will be dumped to rental fleets.
CloudReader wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 9:37 am
Doesn't get the MQB platform. Volkswagen considers it not worth it.
Have you seen 2018 sedan sales numbers? I am surprised they even bother with a new Passat.
Aug 7, 2017
268 posts
214 upvotes
ekcivichb wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 1:53 pm
ummm no thanks. Would rather a new Accord or Camry..and its not even close.
This is the kind of content I expected as soon as I saw the title. OP - I wouldn't even bother posting about VW here, all you're going to get is a lot of hate. Post about asian makes, get more love.

I don't think it's bad for what it is - middle of the pack, OK vehicle for middling, OK money. It does surprise me that VW keep bothering though - losing diesel lost one of their big pluses. Truth is though, like many manufacturers they sell enough to make some sales revenue and keep their dealerships bringing in sufficient servicing revenue. Kinda of a mediocrity status-quo, like most brands.