Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4212 posts
553 upvotes

$20K more for a role with lesser duties

Hello everyone,

I currently have a job that I really enjoy, I learn a lot everyday and I like my coworkers. It is very busy and fast paced. I've been offered a position that pays $20K more but the actual duties of the job are a step down from what I'm doing now. The title of both jobs is the same. Any advice?
46 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1524 posts
234 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Take it! don't complain, just apply and take it
Hi
Oct 6, 2017
38 posts
7 upvotes
what reason do you have not to take it?
Nov 20, 2016
65 posts
53 upvotes
Are you also known to your co-workers as "Big Head"?

All joking aside, I guess the decision would rest upon where you are and where you want to be in your career. 20K jump in salary is a significant jump, and I find it hard to believe that any company would cough up more compensation for less responsibility. Maybe find out someone who has first hand experience about this position to see there are room for advancement or development in the opportunity. If you're early in your career, I don't think it's worth it to trade experience for money just yet.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15406 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
Take it.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5501 posts
3065 upvotes
Richmond Hill
More pay, less work? I'm not seeing the trade off here
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6920 posts
3923 upvotes
Edmonton
Like most others, I'm not really seeing the downside. The only thing I'd mention is that not all positions have the same learning/growth opportunities. Just having the right title doesn't mean it will set you up for your next step. And you do want to be thinking about your progression...

C
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1507 posts
540 upvotes
Tokyo
It's hard to judge how much 20k is worth when we don't know your current salary and/or your profession.

I have left a job for less pay and more work (opposite problem of yours), but gained much more experience and money over the years.

As well, I have left a good job for more pay, and in hindsight, regretted my decision.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
4212 posts
553 upvotes
Im being intentionally vague because my manager browses RFF. I'm in IT, the move would essentially be going from a System Admin position to a desktop support position. My reservation is that I'm moving a step down and I am potentially losing a lot of development.
Dec 28, 2017
63 posts
17 upvotes
Large Corporation vs. Small Startup - Small Startup sometimes pay more due to less job security.
IT in Silicon Valley vs. IT in Toronto - System Admin in Toronto maybe paying 50k/year .. Desktop Support might be paying 90k in Silicon Valley.

The pay is one thing.. the job security and benefits is another.
Weight the difference.
If you have a family and mortgage + other debts.. maybe job security is better
if you are single and young.. perhaps higher pay is better.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5246 posts
1113 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Take it. Why not take the extra money and learn something from a new experience.
Oilfield Services Operator and Consulting Contractor
Serving Western Canada since 2013
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22180 posts
8829 upvotes
Ottawa
Kherani wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 2:15 pm
Im being intentionally vague because my manager browses RFF. I'm in IT, the move would essentially be going from a System Admin position to a desktop support position. My reservation is that I'm moving a step down and I am potentially losing a lot of development.
You resume is going to look funny.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6920 posts
3923 upvotes
Edmonton
Do you want to be a sys admin, or do you want to be in desktop support? Seems like it would be two very different career paths.

C
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1489 posts
111 upvotes
richmondhill
very good points there..
my wife took a paycut 13,000 less for better pension
she is a senior project manager in IT..was making 120,000 with a smaller firm..and she was there only 3 weeks than .decided to go to peel offices for less money but better pension..and right before that she was at 110, ooo with every 2nd Friday off...crazy..changes jobs more than I change my underwear...sorry op to highjack etc...
ayufan wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 2:21 pm
Large Corporation vs. Small Startup - Small Startup sometimes pay more due to less job security.
IT in Silicon Valley vs. IT in Toronto - System Admin in Toronto maybe paying 50k/year .. Desktop Support might be paying 90k in Silicon Valley.

The pay is one thing.. the job security and benefits is another.
Weight the difference.
If you have a family and mortgage + other debts.. maybe job security is better
if you are single and young.. perhaps higher pay is better.
Nov 29, 2017
921 posts
685 upvotes
Only you can decide as you have all the pertinent details

Personal goals
Family goals
Career goals
Tax implications

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)