Hot Deals

[23andMe] Ancestry service kit, 2+ for $49, 1 for $69 (US only)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 7:22 am
Oct 8, 2009
730 posts
217 upvotes
Kitchener
Would you be able to ship the package from Canada to their US address, with no risk or rejection?

I don't think there would be any reason for them to do so, since ppl in the US could be giving it as a gift to fam in Canada. But wanted to see what others opinions are.
Nov 16, 2015
33 posts
17 upvotes
South Surrey, BC
Anyone else order this? I just got a second email from them 2 hours later saying that my order was canceled.
Hello,

We are contacting you with regards to your recent order.

Orders similar to this have previously been used in violation of 23andMe's Terms of Service. For this reason, your recent purchase has been cancelled. The authorization charge on your credit card will be removed within 2-3 business days depending on your bank.

If you believe that this was sent to you in error please contact customercare@23andme.com.

Sincerely,

The 23andMe Team
I used my Canadian credit card but used my shipping address in the states. Quickly browsing the Terms of Service doesn't show anything I have violated?

Gave them a call and they forwarded my concern to a different department who will be responding in the next couple days.
Oct 8, 2009
730 posts
217 upvotes
Kitchener
gldentiger wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 8:38 pm
Anyone else order this? I just got a second email from them 2 hours later saying that my order was canceled.

I used my Canadian credit card but used my shipping address in the states. Quickly browsing the Terms of Service doesn't show anything I have violated?

Gave them a call and they forwarded my concern to a different department who will be responding in the next couple days.
Please Let us know what they say.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13634 posts
1199 upvotes
Toronto
Someone on RFD loaded this video up for me when I had a lot of questions about 23 and Me, among others.

I'll return the favour here:

"Deal of the Day" addict
Nov 16, 2015
33 posts
17 upvotes
South Surrey, BC
keyser-soze wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:20 pm
Please Let us know what they say.
Will do. A workaround may be using my paypal account instead?
Oct 8, 2009
730 posts
217 upvotes
Kitchener
gldentiger wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:30 pm
Will do. A workaround may be using my paypal account instead?
True
Jun 18, 2016
23 posts
27 upvotes
I used PayPal and my order went through fine. I'd also suggest picking the package up in the US and doing it there (if you can), because it includes return shipping when shipped from the US.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1564 posts
637 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. My friend was telling us and told us to try it.
Jan 11, 2008
410 posts
20 upvotes
Apparently twins don't get the same DNA results.....

Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
1564 posts
637 upvotes
Vancouver
KeitaRR wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 10:50 am
Apparently twins don't get the same DNA results.....

50% confident level at $49 works for me. I am sure if I want to sequence myself it would be a lot more. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Tightly-closed Eyes
Jan 11, 2007
202 posts
28 upvotes
Exactly! If you don't take this stuff as gospel, its actually quite interesting.

Obviously anything with ancestry going back centuries and many many generations is going to be a probabilistic scenario, not deterministic. Having said that, you can also play with the confidence level within your own results to see how your profile changes based on their current confidence level.

As a long-time user of 23andme, i like that they continue to add to the result set (both on the ancestry & health side). Many of my reports have been updated and added details over the years.

Again, for the privacy focused individuals, you can use fake name/email address when sending in your sample, ask for the original to be destroyed and pay through a 3rd party like PayPal to further obscure your privacy. Just some ideas for those wanting to try it out.

Going to try and buy this as christmas gifts for family members.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3903 posts
853 upvotes
I'm interested in this. I can pick it up from MyUSAddress. Will they allow us to ship the test sample from Canada?
Jun 18, 2016
23 posts
27 upvotes
Totoriko wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:55 pm
I'm interested in this. I can pick it up from MyUSAddress. Will they allow us to ship the test sample from Canada?
I picked it up over the border, and spit in the vial and mailed it off before returning. The return shipping is only valid in the United States.
Nov 6, 2007
235 posts
62 upvotes
London
DaVibe wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 9:23 pm
Someone on RFD loaded this video up for me when I had a lot of questions about 23 and Me, among others.

I'll return the favour here:

As many have said on here, it is important to be cautious about your personal data, I cannot say that enough.

However, this video is somewhat dated and there have been updates to how this data is used in the insurance industry. See https://www.clhia.ca/domino/html/clhia/ ... A4006D544E. The CLHIA represents nearly 100% of the insurance companies in Canada. Note, the issue about using DNA information in the writing/issuance of an insurance policy is a tricky one. For example, do you think it is reasonable to insure a home that is on fire? While this is an extreme example, life insurance or other personal medical insurance is very similar. If an individual knows something about their medical history that makes them pre-disposed to a certain condition and therefore making it more likely for an insurance policy to pay out, they are anti-selecting against a product which was not meant to cover a risk like that. That is why you have different pricing for non-medically underwritten policies versus medically underwritten policies. I don't want to get into the technical nature of how insurance works or debate that here, but just be aware. <END OF PSASmiling Face With Open Mouth>

Having said all that, I've wanted to try this for a long time, purely for interest's sake. I wonder if they'll do something more north/south on Black Friday?