None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2006
1197 posts
1103 upvotes

23andMe now $99 from $299

Received an email from them just now.
Effective immediately, 23andMe now costs only $99.

We know how important your 23andMe results can be in empowering you to make informed health decisions and learn more about your ancestry. This new low price will enable your family and friends to enjoy the same discoveries.

This price cut is a key part of our drive to grow the 23andMe member base to one million people. This will power research and medical breakthroughs and allow all of us together to revolutionize health care and help people live longer, healthier lives.

Tell your family and friends to purchase now so they can be part of this one million person challenge.
You can get more information and purchase @ http://23andme.com
25 replies
Dec 22, 2008
639 posts
121 upvotes
Vancouver
SNP genotyping, just learned about this company in Uni.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6705 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
That's a decent price. I think I'll bite soon.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
2210 posts
282 upvotes
BC
International shipping (to Canada, anyway) is $60 :/

edit: And each additional is $33, not much of a benefit to grabbing more than one.
Aug 26, 2008
512 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
Plus you have to pay a membership fee. But it's still interesting.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
1625 posts
134 upvotes
how legit are these dna things?
RFD Damage since August '08 = lost track
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6400 posts
149 upvotes
interesting, but privacy issues bother me.
If you do not give consent for your Genetic and Self-Reported Information to be used in 23andWe Research or your individual-level Genetic and Self-Reported Information to be used in the Research Portal, we may still use your Genetic and/or Self-Reported Information for R&D purposes as described above, which may include disclosure of Aggregated Genetic and Self-Reported Information to third-party non-profit and/or commercial research partners who will not publish that information in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
so your consent is basically irrelevant and they will do what they want anyway
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2061 posts
554 upvotes
Calgary
$60 for shipping!!!! Shipping is only $10 for US residents. Talk about a ripoff for Canadians. And how much is the extra subscription charge?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2061 posts
554 upvotes
Calgary
I just spoke to a close friend who took the 23andme test a year or so ago. He said after he signed up he had to go online and do several lengthy surveys, totaling over 500 questions, where you indicate things such as where you were born, your ancestral knowledge, any allergies, etc. He felt 23andme was using this information as a sort of "cheat notes" to helping obtain your ancestral background, rather than going purely by data found only in your DNA analysis. Overall, he was rather underwhelmed with the results.
Aug 26, 2008
512 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal
Rudee wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 6:10 pm
I just spoke to a close friend who took the 23andme test a year or so ago. He said after he signed up he had to go online and do several lengthy surveys, totaling over 500 questions, where you indicate things such as where you were born, your ancestral knowledge, any allergies, etc. He felt 23andme was using this information as a sort of "cheat notes" to helping obtain your ancestral background, rather than going purely by data found only in your DNA analysis. Overall, he was rather underwhelmed with the results.
If you're not expecting miracles (SNPs can only determine 20 - 30% of your current makeup), I don't see anything very wrong with this. It would help use your genetic code as a key into further information. I guess this is why they are doing a member drive, with more users this information can be more accurate. People's desire to keep their information private is one inhibitor to more accuracy. But they are getting grants from science institutions (NCBI) which will hopefully lead to more shared data.
Banned
Dec 8, 2012
212 posts
15 upvotes
Mississauga
How long will it be at this price?
I will be returning to Canada in a few days
but coming back to USA in January

Should I buy it now?
Sep 14, 2008
485 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Just a heads up, they do this sale at least once a year, normally twice.
× < >