26 year old furnace

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2016 12:52 am
Tags:
Jun 1, 2016
77 posts
17 upvotes

26 year old furnace

I recently bought a 26 year old house that came with a 26 year old furnace. We just had an enercare rep come out and inspect/maintain the furnace. He mentioned that the venter fan might have some water backing up into it, meaning that water wasn't draining properly into the basement drain. The heat exchanger was rusting. All in all, it's working but could break down any time and impressive for a 26 year old furnace to be still running.

My issue is that the furnace has seemingly been working fine, but with the winter coming up I am conflicted as to whether we should take a financial hit (pretty big hit as we just bought a house 2 months ago) and replace the heater before it breaks in the middle of subzero weather, or wait it out while getting quotes from different companies so that when it does eventually break we can call someone out and replace it asap.

We don't have any kids (only a dog) so it wouldn't be too unreasonable to wait it out and worst case scenario sleep in winter jackets for a couple days. However, the enercare rep made it sound pretty important that it got replaced soon/asap. Got any suggestions?
66 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1671 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
The sleep in your winter jackets for a couple of days is a terrible idea. For one, your dog doesn't want to deal with that, and it's inhumane, secondly your water pipes could freeze and burst and leak all in your walls causing thousands of dollars of damage. So if he says it could go at any time I'd count your lucky stars that it hasn't gone yet, and bite the bullet and get it done. Call 3-5 places and get them to all come in the same week, choose the one you want and just do it. Last thing you want is in the middle of the winter some company taking advantage of you cause they know you have no choice. Also, why did your inspector not see this and tell you about it?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I would agree that it's a bad idea to wait. It could happen on a Friday evening, it could happen over Christmas, maybe it will happen just after your car breaks down so you're scrambling for cash... Then you may end up waiting for a slot to come up. Not worth the stress and headaches, IMHO. But I don't know what you're finances are like. If you can't afford it, your options are limited.

C
Jun 1, 2016
77 posts
17 upvotes
Thank you for your replies. It does seem a bit naive in retrospect. The inspector did mention that it was a 26 yr old furnace and that it would need to be replaced soon but being first time homebuyers we weren't sure that there was anything we could ask for as it was in working condition. It's a case of we didn't ask and after closing we are paying for it. Any idea what the price range of a new furnace can run? Should we buy, finance, or rent?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
At minimum, get a second opinion with an additional inspection.
What one says is 'could die at any minute' could realistically be 'fine for now, but start saving' to another, more honest HVAC company.
If both agree death is imminent, then start shopping...

Never rent a furnace, no matter how tight your money might be.
Get an LOC, credit card, anything will cost you less in the long run.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
ba35sta wrote: Thank you for your replies. It does seem a bit naive in retrospect. The inspector did mention that it was a 26 yr old furnace and that it would need to be replaced soon but being first time homebuyers we weren't sure that there was anything we could ask for as it was in working condition. It's a case of we didn't ask and after closing we are paying for it. Any idea what the price range of a new furnace can run? Should we buy, finance, or rent?
Buy. Finance that is up to you but get the money from the bank.

Buy a furnace and at the very least consider a good filter box at the same time.
Other items are a/c HRV/ERV

Picking the installer is just as or more important than picking the model of furnace.
Read up in HVAC forums and read up on others experience in the RFD forums.
A crummy installer could easily end up being a nightmare.
You need several quotes. I bet at least one of them comes from a total idiot that tells you that you need a furnace twice as big as you need.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Did you have an inspection done? That's your time to find out what's wrong. Your inspector should have provided a list of concerns, which SHOULD have included the age of the furnace, if nothing else.

After that, unless there was something that was a) hidden from you, AND b) you can prove that the previous sellers knew and hid from you, you're pretty much out of luck. The fact that it was an old furnace was not hidden from you, so you're pretty much out of luck. From my understanding, at least.

As another has said... Get a few quotes, and go from there. Buying or financing is much cheaper than renting. Without knowing the details, it's hard to give you an estimate. You're probably talking about $3000 and up.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
BTW... The heat exchanger rusting can be a safety concern. If it perforates or cracks, it can leak CO into the house. Make sure your CO detectors are current and tested. Have on by the furnace and in the bedroom(s).

C
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
You don't need an inspector to see how old appliances are when buying a house. A quick look at the gas tag on the furnace will tell you when it was installed.

If you don't trust the guy, have another come out and inspect it. Don't call one of the big rental companies like Enercare or Reliance. I wouldn't blame you for not trusting them.
However, you almost never hear of anyone with 20+ year old furnace, so I don't doubt this guy.

Call some local shops to inspect and quote a new furnace. Be sure to consider rebates from the gov't and your local gas utility. If finances are tough you could finance the purchase, but remember that you will have much better efficiency and comfort with the new furnace.

If it does happen to die before you can get it replaced, turn on all lights and portable heaters you can to keep the house warm so that your pipes don't freeze.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jun 1, 2016
77 posts
17 upvotes
This is going to be a silly question, but how would one go about finding list of good installers? I have it narrowed down to participating contractors for the saveon inscentive. Would you trust reviews on homestar, google, etc? Enercare is offering $100 credit, but I think their prices overall might be more than $100 higher than local installers anyways.

We are with union gas and it's saying on their website that I needed a "certified energy advisor" and do a pre-renovation assessment. Would my inspection qualify or would I have to pay for another assessment? Should I find a installer that is both on the union gas site and saveon site...

Sorry for my thoughts and ramblings. It's been such a learning process owning a home and I don't want to blow it up by accident lol
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1525 posts
1657 upvotes
ON
I have a close to 28 year old furnace that came with the house when we bought it about 2+ years back. The home inspector was very clear in stating that the furnace has reached the expected life and could require replacement anytime. It has been running fine till yet. Just got it inspected with an HVAC guy and no issues. Touch wood.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1671 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
Holystone wrote: I have a close to 28 year old furnace that came with the house when we bought it about 2+ years back. The home inspector was very clear in stating that the furnace has reached the expected life and could require replacement anytime. It has been running fine till yet. Just got it inspected with an HVAC guy and no issues. Touch wood.
That's incredible, it must have been taken care of nicely.

The OP's furnace though is starting to rust and leak, I'm sure that's not the greatest signs... OP: I would trust the google reviews over home star, but then again everyone is faking reviews nowadays. If you have any friends/family in the area check with them, or give your neighbours a shout and ask them. Also, if the original installation company is still in business, maybe check with them? If they installed a furnace that lasted 26 years then I'd say they're pretty good!
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
Yup 8 out of 10 times you get an inspection you will need to replace...lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Change your furnance to a newer one that is more energy efficient
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
A high quality, well maintained appliance can last for decades without issue. The only factor with that is considering potential savings per year with new high efficiency furnace. It could actually be cheaper to buy a new furnace over 5-10 years. My old oil burning, water radiating furnace was over 80 years old, but that was scary looking piece of equipment. lol

Don't trust homestars too much, it's paid for by the listing companies. Search the company on RFD, or ask RFD for a good one in your area. Yelp and Google are better, but don't be scared off by bad 1 or 2 bad reviews, as most people only review if they're angry.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1671 posts
1187 upvotes
ottawa
jabela wrote: A high quality, well maintained appliance can last for decades without issue. The only factor with that is considering potential savings per year with new high efficiency furnace. It could actually be cheaper to buy a new furnace over 5-10 years. My old oil burning, water radiating furnace was over 80 years old, but that was scary looking piece of equipment. lol

Don't trust homestars too much, it's paid for by the listing companies. Search the company on RFD, or ask RFD for a good one in your area. Yelp and Google are better, but don't be scared off by bad 1 or 2 bad reviews, as most people only review if they're angry.
Good advice :) I had an old oil burning water radiating furnace in my last house. They had to smash it into pieces to get it out of the house lol. That thing was huge. Rads do look cool though in my opinion.
Jun 1, 2016
77 posts
17 upvotes
koffey wrote: Here OP, if you are in the GTA, a lot of RFDers purchased/obtain service from there guys.

2014-2015-2016-central-ac-furnace-feedb ... d-1505477/

I cannot vouch for them, but a lot of others do.
Thanks for the link! I will give them a call. The struggle is that I live in Burlington, ON - its questionable whether GTA contractors will come out that far, but it looks like theres a reviewer from Burlington that used them.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
My 30 year old furnace is still running fine. Had some pilot light issues but it was a $100 service call fix.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
barqers wrote: Good advice :) I had an old oil burning water radiating furnace in my last house. They had to smash it into pieces to get it out of the house lol. That thing was huge. Rads do look cool though in my opinion.
lol, I was thinking exactly the same thing. That massive hunk of iron probably weighed 1000+ lbs. Then you have the huge oil tank that would also need cutting up to get out.