2nd generation Chinese vs 2nd generation Indians

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 6:21 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3765 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
A local store owner Jagindar told everybody to call him Jake but the neighbourhood renamed him Jack. Crowdsourced.

Every time a kid is born in the family the joke is, name it "Wolfgang". All the 2nd generation got quintessentially British names because of my mother. Very bland. My father wanted a little Wolfie but I think at the time there was still too much anti-German sentiment to have someone going around with a double-barreled ethnic name like that. Third generation has totally Canadianized: they are in Makayla territory. So, everybody tries to fit in, Indian, Chinese or whatever. Everybody needs a British code name.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1135 posts
570 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:12 pm
A local store owner Jagindar told everybody to call him Jake but the neighbourhood renamed him Jack. Crowdsourced.

Every time a kid is born in the family the joke is, name it "Wolfgang". All the 2nd generation got quintessentially British names because of my mother. Very bland. My father wanted a little Wolfie but I think at the time there was still too much anti-German sentiment to have someone going around with a double-barreled ethnic name like that. Third generation has totally Canadianized: they are in Makayla territory. So, everybody tries to fit in, Indian, Chinese or whatever. Everybody needs a British code name.
So true.

Before WW I & II the Eastern Europeans were known to be hard working immigrants making a name for themselves in various parts of Canada.

Once the Wars happened, they experienced a great set back as to public opinion. Consequently German sounding names became unpopular so people changed adapted ... (even the British Monarchy changed from the House of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha to the House of Windsor).

So having the name Adolph was essentially the kiss of death ... Cannot say I know anyone with this name who is younger than 70.

I am a post war baby boomer... There was still an air of mistrust when it came to those countries that were not our allies. Consequently, many of these families gave their kids very English names to over compensate.

Of course most of us kids knew no difference (prejudices / bigotry is a learned behaviour, not a natural one). And we grew up THANKFULLY believing that Bob & Anne were just like any other kid in the classroom. We did not see their heritage / race... Colour or Religion.

And so the world turns... Today 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Generation, they & their descendants are just like every other Canadian. As it should be.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 11th, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15015 posts
3982 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
lecale wrote:

he should have called himself Jag in an effort to convince his wife to let him buy a Jag to match his name
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16184 posts
1747 upvotes
Montreal
lecale wrote:
Jaginder is "Jaggi". And that's a fact.
Jul 7, 2005
765 posts
76 upvotes
North York
Born in Canada to immigrant Chinese parents. Given a legal Anglo First name at birth, no middle name. Was also provided a Chinese name at birth also which I unilaterally 'changed' in adulthood because I didn't like it. Parents were ok with that as its what they typically addressed me by, which happens to be the recognized transliteration of my English name.

I'm not religious myself. My parents are culturally still very Chinese.
Last edited by linsook on Aug 11th, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2619 posts
69 upvotes
I'm a Sikh who was born here in 79 and I have a traditional Punjabi name as do my kids. i think it comes down to religion, as many Chinese people have converted to Christianity. Like I said to the Jehovah witnesses whom stopped by recently "You will never convert me, even at gun point.", "so your willing to die for your religion?", "Yes, and for yours".
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15733 posts
466 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
mr_raider wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:42 am
Sure we do. My name is "Sam". It's short for Samrendra Chattopadhyay.
Dude you just DOXXED yourself!!!!11
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2212 posts
108 upvotes
Since language is ever evolving. In the future, I'd like to adopt a mathematical name like "Infinity" or "Number One".

Edit: :T
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2653 posts
366 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
lecale wrote:

I'm always pushing for Wolfgang and Cornelius. Wolfy and Corny need a comeback!
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3765 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
mr_raider wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:17 pm
Jaginder is "Jaggi". And that's a fact.
Oh no, no need to get any more familiar with the guy, he's already got my buddy watching cricket.
eldeejay wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:46 pm
I'm always pushing for Wolfgang and Cornelius. Wolfy and Corny need a comeback!
Maximilian. Maximum syllables.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36503 posts
2443 upvotes
Toronto
One thing that pisses me off is when people assume my name isn't mine.
They assume my real name is ching chong ping pong wang.

When they ask for my Chinese name... I have to tell them the whole damn story that my Chinese name is pronounced EXACTLY like my very English name.
My parents gave me a Chinese name like how Kanye West names his kids....

They thought it would be fun to find Chinese characters and wording that mimick the exact way my Given name is pronounced in English... So my english name and my chinese name is the same. When I tell people this... They don't believe me. When I tell Chinese people this... They don't believe me. Not until they see me write it down in TRaditional Chinese (of HK origin). They read it out.. Google it... then realize holy shit... My parents gave me the most ******** Chinese name... Because theres probably 0 people on this planet who share the same Chinese name. lol
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3658 posts
434 upvotes
Montreal
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:49 pm
One thing that pisses me off is when people assume my name isn't mine.
They assume my real name is ching chong ping pong wang.

When they ask for my Chinese name... I have to tell them the whole damn story that my Chinese name is pronounced EXACTLY like my very English name.
My parents gave me a Chinese name like how Kanye West names his kids....

They thought it would be fun to find Chinese characters and wording that mimick the exact way my Given name is pronounced in English... So my english name and my chinese name is the same. When I tell people this... They don't believe me. When I tell Chinese people this... They don't believe me. Not until they see me write it down in TRaditional Chinese (of HK origin). They read it out.. Google it... then realize holy shit... My parents gave me the most ******** Chinese name... Because theres probably 0 people on this planet who share the same Chinese name. lol
Care to type it out in Chinese? Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3365 posts
330 upvotes
Chinese is totally different from English. Chinese doesn't use alphabet letters that's why Chinese parents here in Canada have to give their kids English names.