2nd generation Chinese vs 2nd generation Indians

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2017 6:21 am
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1086 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think Chinese are atheist so taking up Christian names don't bother them. Taking up english thus Christian names is a matter of shame for many hindus , sikhs and i guess many muslims too. Its considred like losing one's pride.

I will be honest I don't disrespect those with Christian names but i respect those with their native/ original names more.
Last edited by CocoJambo on Aug 11th, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2060 posts
100 upvotes
I can't imagine giving up my name so I can fit in. That name would encapsulate whole lot for me.
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:49 pm
One thing that pisses me off is when people assume my name isn't mine.
They assume my real name is ching chong ping pong wang.
That's quite rude of them.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36165 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:06 pm
I can't imagine giving up my name so I can fit in. That name would encapsulate whole lot for me.

That's quite rude of them.
All the time...

guy : whats your name?
me : bob
guy : no... What is your REAL name?
guy : ok ... What is your Chinese name?
me : I don't have one. Sort of. Its a long story... But My Chinese name is Bob
guy : Why won't you tell me your real name? What is your real chinese name? Are you ashamed of being Chinese?

Its actually gone that way before.

P.S. Thats not my real name. I gotta stay somewhat anonymous lol
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4159 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
cuz asian parents don't want to make a big mistake in naming their child " Phuc Yu"
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1086 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ducky wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:19 pm
cuz asian parents don't want to make a big mistake in naming their child " Phuc Yu"
but there are many decent names chiense can keep. Sorry but Jeffery does not go well on.a Chinese ..lol . I would rather like Min
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36165 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:19 pm
Haha.. .My bro's name is Thang. A very common Vietnamese name. He grew up in the 80's. So it was actually a pretty awesome nick name.
Wild Thang (it was that time when that song came out... ). Because he likes to party. He was always the social one.
He brought a lot of pretty girls home. Including this white girl that pissed the hell out of my parents. And I was used as bait (being such a cute kid). It was awesome. I learned what boobs were pretty early on and it was awesome.
The best part was that my bro's got me ANYTHING I wanted at the corner store if I went to the park with them and promised to be really nice.
Straight up I went for the pack of MArvel Cards!!!
Last edited by UrbanPoet on Aug 11th, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2005
3128 posts
269 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:16 pm
All the time...

guy : ok ... What is your Chinese name?
me : I don't have one. Sort of. Its a long story... But My Chinese name is Bob
guy : Why won't you tell me your real name? What is your real chinese name? Are you ashamed of being Chinese?

Its actually gone that way before.

P.S. Thats not my real name. I gotta stay somewhat anonymous lol
You really should learn to write your name in Chinese. If anyone asks you then you just write it down for them, see what they say.

习近平 ---- that's the Chinese name of the most powerful person in China. Any of you guys know how to read it :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3490 posts
1066 upvotes
CocoJambo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:24 pm
I would rather like Min
But then everyone with a euro-based accent is going to call you Mean.

If I were to pick a global name it wouldn't have an i or a y in it.
May 22, 2011
292 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver
English and most Indian Dialects are Indo-European languages, hence they had a common ancestral language. Most East Asian languages are completely different, they belong to the group of languages known as Sino-Tibetan. This would be my guess why Indian names are easier to pronounce in English, while Chinese names are virtually impossible for a westerner to pronounce.

So if you're an Asian with some weird name like "Ai Bang Mai Ni", you might was welly change it, so you may have some sort of social life and job prospects in the west. Imagine going to Mcdicks and reading "Ai Bang Mai Ni" on the cashier's name tag, they'd be quite a mouthful.
Last edited by studolf on Aug 11th, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36165 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
LoveRFD wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:27 pm
You really should learn to write your name in Chinese. If anyone asks you then you just write it down for them, see what they say.

习近平 ---- that's the Chinese name of the most powerful person in China. Any of you guys know how to read it :)
I do know how to write it. So for the Chinese people.. .I write it out as proof. But 90% of the Chinese immigrants these days are Mandarin. I learned to write it in TRaditional form. (My Parents are ethnic Chinese from Vietnam. And I believe they used traditional Chinese writing from Guangzhou).
When they see the written form... They usually burst out in laughter and say "holy shit... you weren't kidding!!!".

They taught me CAntonese because it was common, and they thought it would be great for commerce... I wish they taught me Mandarin ( they know it), but not many people had that foresight back then. Especially my parents who were farmers from rural Vietnam. Interestingly enough.. My dad was a coffee roaster and worked in a cafe. Which would explain the AMAZING coffee he make with a that old skool llooking kettle.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15521 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
CocoJambo wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:05 pm
I think Chinese are ethist so taking up Christian names don't bother them.
But are they ethical?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1086 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lecale wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:30 pm
But then everyone with a euro-based accent is going to call you Mean.

If I were to pick a global name it wouldn't have an i or a y in it.
Only the uneducated or idiots do that. Just because some one is a westener does not mean that he/ she will be well cultured or sufficiently educated.
I work in good company and we have people named Min, Yi, Ying, Quang etc. Very good names and they are well respected...
Dec 16, 2014
728 posts
370 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 10:52 am
Indians from the Caribbean (like me) usually have a western name as our legal first names, then our Indian names as our middle names.
what an insult to your ancestors
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:16 pm
All the time...

me : Liu kang
fixed
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2060 posts
100 upvotes
studolf wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:30 pm
So if you're an Asian with some weird name like "Ai Bang Mai Ni", you might was welly change it, so you may have some sort of social life and job prospects in the west. Imagine going to Mcdicks and reading "Ai Bang Mai Ni" on the cashier's name tag, they'd be quite a mouthful.
It's best to be pragmatic.

If they think they can pull it off then keep the name. If they're feeling unnecessary resistance then adopt a name that's suitable for their interest.