Cell Phones

2yr iPhone 5, $85 plan with Rogers/Bell/Tellus? Who to choose??

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2013 1:42 pm
Aug 8, 2013
17 posts

2yr iPhone 5, $85 plan with Rogers/Bell/Tellus? Who to choose??

Hi guys! For some reason the first time I posted this didn't went through.

I have to jump on a plan starting next month and I am aiming for the $85 plan everybody has. It's all calls, messages, nationwide, call diplay, 1GB data, etc.

However, does any of the big 3 comes with extra perks? Like free/cheap unlocking or points or something. Or maybe free/cheap iPhone 5?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!!
15 replies
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
Does it have to be one of the big 3? Koodo has what you want for $75 if you want the iPhone 5. https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

Why not buy the iPhone 5 off BST/Kijiji/Craigslist, and go with Koodo's $60 plan (1GB, cid, unlimited messages and canada-wide/local talk etc)? You end up buying the iPhone 5 for cheaper, and save $25/month, which is $600 in savings for the 2 years you are using it.
Aug 8, 2013
17 posts
Thanks for the answer, m8! But I can't afford more than $250 for a phone at the moment :(

Is Virgin any good? They also have the same $85 plan. Looks like the price is fixed. There's no competition anymore? How is it possible that all the big carriers have the same price??
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I would suggest waiting 1 month until the new model is released and then reevaluate your options. The iPhone 5 will likely be cheaper when the 5S comes out, and there may be a lower cost iPhone 5C as well.

BTW, the pricing is as it is because the rules changed and as of August 9 several changed their pricing.
Aug 8, 2013
17 posts
I will wait for the iphone 5s, assuming it will be the same price iphone 5 is today. Primus charges $45 for 200 mins and 500mb if i bring my iphone, with NO year commitment. I find this to be steep, too. I guess I'll run on Bell prepaid for a while...
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Read the terms. Who has most friendliest policies? CSR a concern? Network? Repair policies? Look into these things
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
LostInTruth wrote: Read the terms. Who has most friendliest policies? CSR a concern? Network? Repair policies? Look into these things
he wants an iPhone, not some garbage device. carrier repair policies don't apply.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
al3x89 wrote: he wants an iPhone, not some garbage device. carrier repair policies don't apply.
Relax bud, again I have an iPhone, but he's also asking for an opinion. I get that you like iPhones, but don't include me in this fanboy nonsense.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13940 posts
5439 upvotes
yea wait for iphone5s cause iphone5 is garbage
The sweetest gyal
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2682 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
dragon_drift wrote: Does it have to be one of the big 3? Koodo has what you want for $75 if you want the iPhone 5. https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/plans/index.html

Why not buy the iPhone 5 off BST/Kijiji/Craigslist, and go with Koodo's $60 plan (1GB, cid, unlimited messages and canada-wide/local talk etc)? You end up buying the iPhone 5 for cheaper, and save $25/month, which is $600 in savings for the 2 years you are using it.
Umm you're forgetting the $10 Tab contribution on the $75 plan so it's still $85...

Anyway as for who, I'd just pick a sub-brands or Telus as they all have no activation fee because otherwise the carriers are the same with everyone having their own issues with customer service at some point with any given one. Maybe Fido might be tempting because they have Fido Dollars which saves you on your next phone and a retention department for a better plan next time unlike Virgin and Koodo.
Aug 8, 2013
17 posts
wrdeal24 wrote: Maybe Fido might be tempting because they have Fido Dollars which saves you on your next phone and a retention department for a better plan next time unlike Virgin and Koodo.

The iPhone costs $50 more, when compared to the other carriers... although they do have the lowest unlocking fee.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
chrismark wrote: The iPhone costs $50 more, when compared to the other carriers... although they do have the lowest unlocking fee.
Fido charges $50 for unlocking, same as Rogers. Telus charges $35 to unlock. Bell is $75.

But you are right, Fido/Rogers charges the most for iPhones right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1785 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
Wait, so let me get this right. You want to pay $85 a month because you can't afford to spend more than $250 upfront on the phone? You do realize that you will pay loads more over the 2 year term IF you don't need all the features included in the $85 plan right?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2682 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal
chrismark wrote: The iPhone costs $50 more, when compared to the other carriers... although they do have the lowest unlocking fee.
hmmm yeah $250 is expensive, Future Shop has Telus' iPhone 5 on sale for $179 + free activation (well it's not really a special but Rogers and Bell still charge for it) and the $35 unlock fee
Aug 8, 2013
17 posts
wrdeal24 wrote: hmmm yeah $250 is expensive, Future Shop has Telus' iPhone 5 on sale for $179 + free activation (well it's not really a special but Rogers and Bell still charge for it) and the $35 unlock fee
Thanks for the heads-up. I will monitor FS intensely. Is Costco any good?