16 upvotes
i thought the friday Tuna Melt sub is pretty good

i always thought the sub of the day promo was nationwide
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7019 posts
300 upvotes
Vancouver
Wow the foot long egg salad subs have been our $5 menu for ages lol, now they went up a $1 for footlong. "Customer Appreciation" for spending more money with us. Thank you. Subway. :facepalm:
Jun 7, 2006
29 posts
Meatballs are now a quarter short of $6 and theres no longer a sub of the day. Pretty much no reason to go there now.

At least Quiznos now has the $5 turkey caesar back. I was sure they took it off for a while.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
5912 posts
522 upvotes
T dot 6
Jimboski wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 1:40 am
What isn't cheaper?
Medical drugs are the only thing I can think of.
stubhub sucks, like really sucks
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9962 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
I started calling this Subway Depreciation sale back in mid-December (alluding to "coming in January") when I started seeing the advertisements. I didn't understand the pricing at that time since classic foot-longs (including egg and ham) were $5.25 (or $2.75 for 6") at my local location with $6 sub-of-the-day for the others.

Now that it's January, I fully understand it. They upped the prices majorly, and masking some of the price jumps by reducing the uppings for two subs for month of January.

Subway has nerve to call it "appreciation" when it raises the prices of a classic $5.25 sub (that was $5 back in September before the .25 price hike then) to $6.50 and then dilutes the bump by saying while, you can get 2x6" ham or egg for $6 (up from $5.25) for at least January before it returns to the new price for classic subs. They also drop the $6 sub-of-the-day which is further depreciation. Way-to-go for the double whammy.

BTW, the pricing is by location and by the variance is more than ever now. My local subway place is even getting into the eye-gouging. For the longest time they ran the $5 classic sub promotion (for last 2 years, even when the national promotion was discontinued during various periods of time). Likewise, they kept the sub of the day promotion going. When I asked the owner why they kept the $5 footlong promotion going, she said that it was good for business and sales were always highest when the offer was being made, so she would continue it even when it's not officially on. Then in September she raised the prices to $5.25, and now to $6.50. I'm seeing the same for all the other franchises too. Two others kept the $5 subs going, but now they all upped their prices for 2013, but at different levels. One it is $5.75, another location it is $6.25. The pricing inconsistency is worse than ever, and I wonder what's up. What is corporate-HQ Subway doing to the franchise owners?!? Some of these places I don't even know if they are doing the $3 ham or egg 6" special since there are no signs. I got turned off when I saw the up-to 30% increased prices on the menu for the classic subs, that I leave the store before even asking if they at least do the $3 promotion.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24044 posts
4127 upvotes
Toronto
Boycott Subway for raising prices! Dine at Quiznos instead.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9306 posts
191 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 1:40 am
What isn't cheaper?
Any kind of stay at a hospital if you're not covered by medical insurance.
Fantaz wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 7:29 pm
Boycott Subway for raising prices! Dine at Quiznos instead.
Jimboski wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 7:52 pm
Quiznos is more expensive right? Lol.
That and a number of their subs have alot of sodium (Subway at least makes it FAR easier to look up the nutritional info on the subs).
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4430 posts
149 upvotes
Said212 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 5:31 am
Subway is ONLY good on three days a week.

Foot long for 6$. That's all.

Edit: ***This is sub of the day***, YMMV. (I live in Toronto and almost every Subway I know has this)
Said212 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 6:23 pm
I know in Toronto, most of the ones I've visited have Sub of the Day. I've also always seen it in Mississauga. I'm surprised it isn't nationwide. It's the ONE thing that keeps me from disliking Subway.
dmdsoftware2 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 1:28 am
Not available in Mississauga anymore either. Was there Monday, special is over. Was there last week.
Here in St. Catharines where I am for months for school, they have sub of the day too footlong for $6, with the same order for each day as the ones in Toronto. Most of the Toronto ones I've seen also have "sub of the day". There was one in Richmond Hill though that I went to during the holiday, at like Hwy 7 west of Leslie (I think in the Times Square plaza), that one had a different order of subs of the day (different than what is seen usually) and for the weekend, you could choose any of the Mon-Fri sub deals.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9962 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
Montague wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 7:58 pm
Any kind of stay at a hospital if you're not covered by medical insurance.

That and a number of their subs have alot of sodium (Subway at least makes it FAR easier to look up the nutritional info on the subs).
I used to eat subway once a week in 2011 and early 2012. $5 was a fair price for once-a-week dinner, and I always had the ham sub which is healthier of their classic subs (veggie would be more healthy). I've since come accustomed to making my own flat bread 12" sandwiches. Nowadays I always have a crisper full of vegetables, the meats are cheap from No Frills, and they have fresh flat bread that is more nutritious than the Subway stuff. It might not be 'today-fresh' as Subway, but really, with franchises cutting corners where they can you can't say for certain the subway ingredients are as fresh as you'd be led to be believe. For $1.89 flat bread that makes 3 12" subs, cheap meat and vegetables from No Frills, material for 3 subs is cheaper than a $5 subway sub (and especially now with their prices going through the roof).
Dec 22, 2008
458 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
Not even a 6" veggie for $3?! Could I just ask for a 6" ham without ham
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2004
9962 posts
445 upvotes
Mississauga
bootleg wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 8:18 pm
Not even a 6" veggie for $3?! Could I just ask for a 6" ham without ham
Good observation! I never even thought about that. You could ask them to put the ham on the side or separate but knowing the typical franchise, they'll charge you for a veggie sub and charge you for ham as an extra. I've seen someone order a meatball sub and ask for the meatballs to be "on the side", which they obliged by putting into a container, but then charged them for a meatball sub and also extra for the meatballs. A veggie sub and meatball sub were the same price back then but he shouldn't have been charged for the meatballs by simply holding them on the side instead of putting them on the sub.

The point is probably mute, but I have seen people hold certain ingredients "on the side" at Harveys and I never saw Harvey's charge a person twice for it (such as no pickles on the hamburger but put the pickles on the side in the wrap, and then getting charged for a hamburger that includes the price of pickles into the base price and then getting charged for an order of pickles) :)
Feb 25, 2012
288 posts
56 upvotes
MONTR
they call it customer appreciation month and they offer the cheapest kind to the customer
they should call it laugh at the customer month
Aug 19, 2010
60 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Actually this works for me. Though the key is "participating restaurants". Every one around me is owned by a bunch of a$$hole franchisee owners who don't honour these promos. They even put up the $5 footlong promo stickers, but all the sandwiches are $6.50+
If they put up stickers and signs, they HAVE to by law sell the sandwiches for that price. Otherwise ignoring the stated price would be false advertising...
× < >