• Oct 18th, 2017 8:37 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1419 posts
121 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:50 pm
I can put up another poll. Is there a hot deal thread for this yet?

What are all the different rates people got?
  • 1.95%
  • 2.10%
  • 2.17%
  • 2.30%
  • 2.78%
  • 2.95%
  • 3.10%
  • 3.22%
Let me know which ones I missed.
My wife and I both received 2.97%.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
Idontdomornings wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:10 pm
Hubby was on the last promo at 3.21% in his sole name account. Transferred money out on Jul 3 to our Joint Savings account which I am Primary Account Holder.
He got the 3.1% today
If I transfer the money from our joint savings account to his sole name account, will it be considered New Money?

Thanks.
I think you mean if HE transfers the money from your joint savings back to his individual account, right?

... I'm not sure on that one. Maybe?

I know they only pay promo interest based on who is the primary account holder on a joint account ... not sure if they count it as part of his starting balances for Jul 4th ... they might actually count it and thus it wouldn't be "new" money.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Mar 11, 2009
20 posts
4 upvotes
3.21% last time, 2.3% this time. Will leave in PCF @ 2.5% for now.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
ace604 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:50 pm
I can put up another poll. Is there a hot deal thread for this yet?

What are all the different rates people got?
  • 1.95%
  • 2.10%
  • 2.17%
  • 2.30%
  • 2.78%
  • 2.95%
  • 3.10%
  • 3.22%
Let me know which ones I missed.
minimalist wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:05 pm
I saw a few people upthread say they got 3.25%. Maybe they were rounding up from 3.22%? (I got 3.1%) Can make some $$$ using margin from IB to "save"/invest at that rate!
bryan35 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:11 pm
My wife and I both received 2.97%.
LOL. I'm going to need a poll to determine what numbers to put in the poll :)

I think I may have typo'd 2.95%. I'm also not seeing 2.17 any more .... is there a 2.20%? *sigh* Tangerine - why you make it so confusing?

Current possible list:
  • 1.95%
  • 2.10%
  • 2.17% ??
  • 2.20% ??
  • 2.30%
  • it seems like there is a likely gap here? any in the 2.4 - 2.6 range?
  • 2.78%
  • 2.95% ??
  • 2.97%
  • 3.10%
  • 3.22%
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
EDIT: This was a new thread for the poll for JUST THIS PROMO but the mods felt it necessary to merge it into this thread about 2.5% retention rates?!

Title was: "[Tangerine] (Targeted) up to 3.25%(?) special interest rate on new deposits July 5, 2017 to September 30, 2017 - POLL"

So ... the hot deal thread someone else posted got locked and referred to personal finance instead (I think there was another thread but then that got merged with the "is there any new rate" retention offer thread?)

Anyways ... I want to do another poll like the last promo hot deal thread:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/tangeri ... l-2091935/

It seems people are still answering THAT poll .... LOL, dunno if they are now using this new promo to answer the old poll. It has 926 responses. It had under 920 yesterday.

Before I can post the poll (I can't edit it after it starts accepting votes) I need to know all the possible options for the poll.

Here's what I've got so far:
  • 1.95%
  • 2.10%
  • 2.17% ??
  • 2.20% ??
  • 2.30%
  • 2.78%
  • 2.95% ??
  • 2.97%
  • 3.10%
  • 3.22%
I'm going to put this into the thread summary ... then if people can just edit that and put their RFD handle next to any rates that they personally got (or spouse/family got) I will make sure all of these are "valid" by getting at least a few "votes" on each one this way.

Then once that's settled down to a final list I will put up an actual POLL people can vote on like the last hot deal thread.
Last edited by ace604 on Jul 5th, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
(replace "2.78%" with whatever rate you got of course)

Full Offer Terms and Conditions

General:
  1. The Tangerine Bank (the "Bank") Savings Interest Offer of 2.78% (the "Offer") has been calculated based on interest rates current as of July 05, 2017 and is available to existing Tangerine Clients who: (1) receive the Offer by email directly from the Bank; and/or (2) receive a notification that they are eligible to participate in the Offer when they log in on the Bank's website ("Eligible Clients").
  2. The Offer is only available to Eligible Clients between July 05, 2017 and September 30, 2017 (the "Offer Period").
  3. The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts ("Savings") and Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts ("TFSA Savings") (herein referred to collectively as "Applicable Accounts") where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder as described in section 17 below. A number of similar Applicable Accounts (for example, 3 separate TFSA Savings) is defined as an "Applicable Account Type". The Offer is not applicable to any other Accounts, including (but not limited to) Tangerine RSP Savings Accounts ("RSP Savings"), Tangerine RIF Savings Accounts ("RIF Savings"), Tangerine US$ Savings Accounts, Tangerine Business Savings Accounts, Tangerine US$ Business Savings Accounts or Tangerine Children's Savings Accounts ("CSA").
  4. "Additional Interest" is 1.98%. During the Offer Period, the Bank will calculate Additional Interest for new deposits to Applicable Accounts each time the sum of the daily balances in each Applicable Account exceeds the corresponding Applicable Account Type balance as at July 04, 2017 to a maximum of $500,000 per Applicable Account Type ("Eligible Deposits"). Additional Interest will only apply to net new Eligible Deposits that raise the Applicable Account Type balance above the July 04, 2017 balances and the balances in an Applicable Account Type that are equal to or less than the Applicable Account Type balances as at July 04, 2017 will not earn Additional Interest.
  5. All balances in Applicable Accounts that are not eligible for Additional Interest will be paid the Bank's applicable posted rate of interest listed on the Bank's website (the "Posted Rate").

Additional Interest:
  6. Additional Interest is added to the Posted Rate to calculate the total amount of interest payable under this Offer (For example, if the Posted Rate were 0.80% and the Additional Interest were 1.70% then: Additional Rate of 1.70% + Posted Rate of 0.80% = Offer of 2.50%). Any change to the Posted Rate will result in a corresponding change to the Offer. Additional Interest and/or Posted Rates may change at any time without prior notice. Eligible Clients will receive the Offer in two separate interest payments, one based on the Posted Rate and a second based on the Additional Interest rate.
  7. Subject to the limits and qualifications outlined in these Terms and Conditions, Additional Interest will be calculated daily and paid monthly on Eligible Deposits made during the Offer Period into Applicable Accounts that were opened prior to the Offer Period, as well as Applicable Accounts that were opened during the Offer Period. For the purposes of this Offer, net new Eligible Deposits are determined based on the source of the funds, type of transaction, and the amounts relative to combined balances across all Applicable Account Types. Although all Applicable Account Type balances are used to determine whether a deposit is eligible for Additional Interest, Additional Interest is paid at the individual Account level based on the duration of time the Eligible Deposits are in each Applicable Account.

Example 1: Eligible Client has $10,000 in their existing TFSA Savings on July 04, 2017. On July 10, 2017, they transfer $5,000 to a new TFSA Savings from their Tangerine Savings Account. They also transfer $5,000 from his/her existing TFSA Savings to a TFSA GIC. The total of the balances in the TFSA Savings remains $10,000 after completing the transfers. Therefore Additional Interest doesn't apply to the TFSA Savings for July 10, 2017.

Example 2: Eligible Client has $10,000 in their existing TFSA Savings on July 04, 2017. On July 10, 2017, they transfer $10,000 to their existing TFSA Savings from their Tangerine Savings Account. They also transfer $5,000 from his/her existing TFSA Savings to a TFSA GIC. Their balance in the TFSA Savings is $15,000 after completing the transfers. Additional Interest will apply to $5,000 of the new deposit to the existing TFSA Savings.

Example 3: Eligible Client has $10,000 in his/her existing Tangerine Savings Account on July 04, 2017. On July 10, 2017, they open an additional Tangerine Savings Account and transfer $5,000 from their existing Tangerine Savings Account. Their Applicable Account Type balance remains $10,000 in total between both Tangerine Savings Accounts. The transfer to the new Tangerine Savings is not eligible for the Additional Interest because it does not qualify as a net new Eligible Deposit.
  8. Eligible Deposits to TFSA Savings are subject to the limits imposed by the Canada Revenue Agency (the "CRA"). The Eligible Client is fully responsible for monitoring their individual contribution limits and ensuring any and all deposits fall within these set CRA limits. Individual TFSA contribution limits can be found on the CRA website at cra-arc.gc.ca. The Eligible Client further agrees to at all times indemnify and hold the Bank harmless in respect of any such penalties or charges imposed upon the Eligible Client as a result of these imposed limits.
  9. Subject to the imposed CRA limits on Tax-Free Savings Accounts, Additional Interest will be paid on the first $500,000 of Eligible Deposits made to each Applicable Account Type. No Eligible Deposits or daily balances to which Additional Interest would otherwise qualify will be greater than $500,000 across each of the Applicable Account Types (i.e. $500,000 across all Tangerine Savings Accounts and $500,000 across all Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts). Any balances greater than $500,000 per Applicable Account Type will earn interest at the applicable Posted Rate of interest payable.
  10. The following transactions will be considered Eligible Deposits to which Additional Interest will apply:
    1. Money transferred from a Tangerine Chequing Account to an Applicable Account.
    2. Money transferred from another financial institution, including the Eligible Client's linked account, to an Applicable Account.
    3. Money transferred by Tangerine Email Money Transfer or Interac e-Transfer to an Applicable Account.
    4. Money transferred from a Savings Account into an Applicable TFSA Savings Account.
    5. Money transferred from a US$ Savings Account into an Applicable TFSA Savings Account.
    6. Money transferred from a Tax-Free Savings Account at another financial institution to an Applicable TFSA Savings Account.
  11. Notwithstanding the above, the following are not considered to be Eligible Deposits and will not be eligible for Additional Interest:
    1. Transfers or money deposited into a RSP Savings, RIF Savings, CSA, Business Savings Account, US$ Savings Account or US$ Business Savings Account or TFSA Kick Start Account.
    2. Money transferred from a Bank GIC, Investment Fund or Line of Credit to an Applicable Account.
    3. Transfers made to any new TFSA Savings Account from an existing TFSA Savings Account or TFSA GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in TFSA Savings from July 04, 2017.
    4. Money deposited into TFSA Savings Account and then transferred into a TFSA GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in TFSA Savings from July 04, 2017.
    5. Money transferred from a RSP, TFSA or RIF Account to any Applicable Account.
    6. Money transferred from a CSA to an Applicable Account.
    7. Direct or Indirect transfers from Tangerine Business Savings Accounts and Tangerine US$ Business Savings Accounts to Applicable Accounts.
  12. Additional Interest will not be paid on transfers to external accounts that are subsequently deposited back into one or more Applicable Accounts, unless such deposits increase the sum of Account balances per Applicable Account Type above the sum of these balances as at July 04, 2017. In such case, only the portion of the transfers that puts the sum of these Account balances above their sum on July 04, 2017 may be eligible for Additional Interest.
  13. Additional Interest will not be paid and will not be payable until the start of the month following the month in which it was calculated. The Bank's applicable Posted Rate of interest will be paid to that Applicable Account on the last day of the month, and any Additional Interest will be paid to that Applicable Account on the first day of the following month. Any Applicable Account closed prior to the payment of Additional Interest will forfeit any Additional Interest calculated during the month in which the Applicable Account is closed.
  14. Any interest paid into an Applicable Account, including Additional Interest, will not be treated as a new deposit for subsequently calculating Additional Interest payments.
  15. After the Offer Period ends, all balances will earn interest at the Posted Rate payable on the Applicable Account.

Eligibility:
  16. This Offer is non-transferable and is only for Eligible Clients. Clients who receive the Offer and/or these Terms and Conditions from any source other than the Bank, and who are not Eligible Clients as described in Section 1 above, will not be eligible for this Offer.
  17. The Offer is only applicable to Applicable Accounts where the Eligible Client is the person whose name appears first on the Bank statement (the "Primary Account Holder"). For Applicable Accounts where an Eligible Client is not the Primary Account Holder (Example: the Eligible Client is not the Primary Account Holder on a joint Account and is listed second on the statement for that Account), the Offer will not be applied to that particular Account. Where money is transferred from an Account where the Eligible Client is listed second on the statement to an Applicable Account where the Eligible Client is the Primary Account Holder, that transfer will be eligible for Additional Interest.
  18. Applicable Accounts opened prior to July 04, 2017 are eligible for Additional Interest on the sum of daily Applicable Account Type balances that exceeds the sum of closing Applicable Account Type balances as at July 04, 2017.
  19. Eligible Clients who have an open Applicable Account prior to July 04, 2017 may open a new Applicable Account, however, only balances that exceed the sum of the closing Applicable Account Type balances as at July 04, 2017 will be eligible for the Additional Interest.
  20. This Offer cannot be combined with other promotional rate offers.

Limitations:
  21. If the Bank is unable to run the Offer as planned for any reason, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of the Bank which corrupt or affect the administration, security or proper conduct of this Offer, the Bank reserves the right at its sole discretion to, without advance notice, terminate or suspend the Offer, in whole or in part, or modify it in any way.
  22. The Bank reserves the right at its absolute discretion to vary, delete or add to any of these Terms and Conditions from time to time without prior notice.
  23. The Bank reserves the right to withdraw the Offer in whole or in part, or to vary any of these Terms and Conditions at any time and from time to time without notice at its absolute discretion. The Bank reserves the right to end the Offer earlier or to extend the Offer Period further at its absolute discretion.
  24. The Bank reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to suspend, disqualify, limit or revoke this Offer to any Account holder it finds or believes to be manipulating or otherwise abusing the process, fairness, or integrity of the Offer.
  25. This Offer may be suspended, modified or withdrawn at any time without notice for any reason including, but not limited to, an error or mistake on behalf of the Bank.
  26. To the extent that these Terms and Conditions are inconsistent with any other communication, advertisement, promotional material, or statement, whether written or oral, (collectively a "Message") from the Bank, these Terms and Conditions will supersede all other Messages.
  27. You agree that you have read and understood these Terms and Conditions and agree to be bound by them. Any notice regarding this Offer is deemed to be provided on the day it is posted on the Bank's website.
Last edited by ace604 on Jul 5th, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jul 1, 2006
238 posts
85 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 11:22 pm
LOL. I'm going to need a poll to determine what numbers to put in the poll :)

I think I may have typo'd 2.95%. I'm also not seeing 2.17 any more .... is there a 2.20%? *sigh* Tangerine - why you make it so confusing?

Current possible list:
  • 1.95%
  • 2.10%
  • 2.17% ??
  • 2.20% ??
  • 2.30%
  • 2.78%
  • 2.95% ??
  • 2.97%
  • 3.10%
  • 3.22%
Ha! 2.9% and 2.3% here.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4203 posts
426 upvotes
Mississauga
vlad353 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2017 10:55 pm
Got offered nothing, called in, spend 35 mins on the phone, received 2.5% for 3 months.
Thank you Tangerine :)
got the same rate as you over phone after getting nothing online... but only spent 5mins... didn't count the wait time to get through...lol
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1109 posts
180 upvotes
Just a question. Let's say my wife and I have 4 accounts:

1. in my name
2. in her name
3. joint-my name first, hers second
4. joint-her name first, mine second

Is it possible that we will get 4 different rate offers for these accounts?

CDIC coverage in this case is $300,000 in total, correct? account #4 doesn't qualify as it is superseded by acct #3. (another joint owner account with same names in different order doesn't increase coverage?)
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
Seems I can't make an RFD poll because mods insist on merging threads about the special seasonal interest rate promo into this thread that is about RETENTION OFFERS.

Mods ... these are TWO different topics.

Retention offers that end after YOUR specific 90-days that are 1.6%, 2.0%, 2.5% now apparently .... these are one thing (that this thread was started about).
See OP: "Our Tangerine 90 days 2.50% and 3.00% that we got back in September and October expiring now just wondering if any one got any extension or new offer"

The seasonal "special interest rate" promotions are something different.

Well guys I tried to make a thread + poll but it got kiboshed. No RFD poll for this 3-month promo I guess.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)