• Oct 18th, 2017 8:37 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
minimalist wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 7:00 pm
Has anyone ever linked their Tangerine Savings with an external bank account in someone else's name?

I'm not thinking of any funny business here but just wanted to link my wife's Tangerine (with her permission, of course) with my EQ Bank account. Would this work if do they confirm that names match on both accounts somehow?
If the link somehow worked the transfers later could still fail.

I had a pull request TNG<-EQ fail and get reversed on me. This was into a joint TNG account that I had done the same before on with a pre-existing link that was legit.

Tangerine looked into it and blamed EQ for rejecting it.
Upon further investigation at EQ, they said the PAD request had come in with someone else's name on it (Tangerine had somehow glitched and used the other name on the joint account instead of mine).

I don't have login access to this other account, and EQ is an individual account and should have no way of knowing the other name on my Tangerine account so I believe what they told me is accurate and that it was Tangerine's fault. Who knows. Maybe PADs to joint account show both names though??

In any case ... it appears that at least EQ is checking that at least PADs having matching names. Other banks and pushes may be a different story.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1109 posts
180 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 8:24 pm
If the link somehow worked the transfers later could still fail.

I had a pull request TNG<-EQ fail and get reversed on me. This was into a joint TNG account that I had done the same before on with a pre-existing link that was legit.

Tangerine looked into it and blamed EQ for rejecting it.
Upon further investigation at EQ, they said the PAD request had come in with someone else's name on it (Tangerine had somehow glitched and used the other name on the joint account instead of mine).

I don't have login access to this other account, and EQ is an individual account and should have no way of knowing the other name on my Tangerine account so I believe what they told me is accurate and that it was Tangerine's fault. Who knows. Maybe PADs to joint account show both names though??

In any case ... it appears that at least EQ is checking that at least PADs having matching names. Other banks and pushes may be a different story.
In this case you are saying that the TNG that you were pulling into was joint between yourself and someone else but that the EQ account that you were pulling from was sole owner.

Was the owner of the EQ account the same person as the joint person on the TNG account or someone entirely different?

Also, I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that you should never have a problem linking or transferring between joint and sole owner accounts in which one of the joint holders is also the sole owner.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
minimalist wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 8:49 pm
In this case you are saying that the TNG that you were pulling into was joint between yourself and someone else but that the EQ account that you were pulling from was sole owner.

Was the owner of the EQ account the same person as the joint person on the TNG account or someone entirely different?

Also, I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that you should never have a problem linking or transferring between joint and sole owner accounts in which one of the joint holders is also the sole owner.
LOL. Let me go back and edit. So confusing all the permutations :)

Ha ha, wait. Nothing to edit. LOL.

EQ account being pulled out of was mine (EQ only has sole ownership currently). Tangerine being pulled into was mine (but joint with another person).

I initiated the pull at TNG's site logged into MY account (I do not have the other joint owner's login credentials). They credited the pull to my account a day later. Another day later instead of it debiting from EQ it didn't. No indication of anything there. Then that day or a day later Tangerine just reversed the deposit.

There should be no issue linking joint accounts to individual accounts and I never have had any issue with this.

My anecdote was only relevant to you to illustrate that if the "wrong name" is on a PAD request for an inter-FI personal PAD type transfer, the source bank can reject the request.

In this case it seems to have been a TNG glitch that caused my pull to have the other party's name on the PAD somehow.

If you however somehow manage to link TNG for person A to EQ of person B, then any PAD request would always have the "wrong name".
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Feb 12, 2016
129 posts
6 upvotes
Tangerine still giving 2.5% for retention rate in savings acct?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2073 posts
476 upvotes
dealhawk1 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 4:14 am
Tangerine still giving 2.5% for retention rate in savings acct?
YMMV, depending on which CSR you talk to or how much money you have or how long you have been with them, etc. No one knows how they have decided to give 2.5% to some and not everyone who called and asked. But if I were you, I rather stay with EQ for 0.2% less (even if you get 2.5% from Tangerine). the reason is getting 2.5% now for 90 days will certainly diminish your chance of getting a lottery rate in October (if Tangerine continues to do that).
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10287 posts
3186 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mkl38s wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 7:41 am
No one knows how they have decided to give 2.5% to some and not everyone who called and asked.
+1

And yet...
getting 2.5% now for 90 days will certainly diminish your chance of getting a lottery rate in October
How can you know this, especially in the face of the previous assertion?
if Tangerine continues to do that
+1

We're all assuming that. Some day the party will end.

BTW on Wednesday the BoC is expected to raise their prime rate by 25bp. I'd expect HISA rates to go up by a similar amount. If your money is already at EQ I'd leave it there this week until we see what happens.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
502 posts
169 upvotes
ontario
Retention offer

under 100k 1.6%

100K-200K 2.0%

dont know between 200K and 300K

Over 300K 2.5%
Oct 3, 2005
817 posts
23 upvotes
agit wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 11:14 am
Retention offer

under 100k 1.6%

100K-200K 2.0%

Over 300K 2.5%
Sorry, where is this? With Tangerine? Is it on new deposits only?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2126 posts
842 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 7:00 pm
Has anyone ever linked their Tangerine Savings with an external bank account in someone else's name?

I'm not thinking of any funny business here but just wanted to link my wife's Tangerine (with her permission, of course) with my EQ Bank account. Would this work if do they confirm that names match on both accounts somehow?
If you're concerned, add your wife as a joint account holder on your account, or get added as a joint account on hers.

We move from solo acct to a joint account all the time.

Oh... Wife got 2.69% offer from Tangerine when logging in. This after we emptied the account on July 4th to PCF.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K
May 16, 2012
47 posts
4 upvotes
Markham
agit wrote:
Retention offer

under 100k 1.6%

100K-200K 2.0%

Over 300K 2.5%
Where did this scale come from?
fyhchan
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2073 posts
476 upvotes
agit wrote:
Retention offer

under 100k 1.6%

100K-200K 2.0%

Over 300K 2.5%
I think it's still YMMV and not true every case. Some people had more than $300K and didn't get any offer when called in
Jan 7, 2015
32 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
mkl38s wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:47 am
I think it's still YMMV and not true every case. Some people had more than $300K and didn't get any offer when called in
I have less then 100K and when I called, they offered me 2.0% retention, so yeah, YMMV for sure.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2013
1430 posts
507 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry for the interruption, but we couldn't wait to let you know that you've qualified for a special interest rate offer.

New deposits, up to $500,000, to your Tangerine Savings Account(s) and Tax-Free Savings Accounts made from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017 will earn 3.1% interest* until Sep 30, 2017.

Make the most of this special rate while it's available.

3.1% interest rate Offer is current as of Jul 05, 2017 and is calculated by adding the Bank's current applicable Posted Rate with the Additional Interest rate of 2.3%. The Offer is only applicable to Tangerine Savings Accounts and Tangerine Tax-Free Savings Accounts ("Applicable Accounts") from Jul 05, 2017 to Sep 30, 2017. A number of the same type of Applicable Accounts is defined as an "Applicable Account Type". Additional Interest will apply to net new Eligible Deposits made between Jul 05, 2017 and Sep 30, 2017 of up to $500,000 per Applicable Account Type for Clients who have received a communication about the Offer directly from Tangerine. Clients must be the Primary Account Holder on the Applicable Account. The Offer does not apply to certain Account types, as outlined in the full Offer Terms and Conditions. The applicable Posted Rate and the Additional Interest rate are annualized rates, calculated daily and paid monthly. Any Applicable Account closed prior to the payment of Additional Interest will forfeit any Additional Interest calculated during the month in which the Applicable Account is closed. This Offer and interest rates are subject to change without notice. All terms not defined here are outlined in the Full Offer Terms and Conditions which can be viewed here.
Jul 22, 2015
48 posts
9 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
abwlml wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 11:07 am
I have less then 100K and when I called, they offered me 2.0% retention, so yeah, YMMV for sure.
A lot has to do with the CSR rep you get. I am sure they pull up your profile, and whether you accepted retention offer before. My guess if you have taken their offer in the past, they may not give you the higher rate.

BTW Interested in seeing of the BOC will increase rate Wednesday.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)