• Nov 3rd, 2017 6:50 pm
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
1217 posts
359 upvotes
GTA
agit wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 10:40 am
if your offer from Tangerine is 2% or 2.5% you have a choice now with Meridian 90 GIC @ 2.75% new money registered and non-registered

here is the link https://www.meridiancu.ca/personal-bank ... ic275.aspx
Hooray for competition! Hopefully more will follow suite and give us better rates. Like many, Tangerine gave me the whopping interest rate of 0.8% so I took every penny out of the account.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4656 posts
1579 upvotes
Noticed updated terms on Tangerine this morning for their current interest rate "lotto". They've bumped the base rate to 0.9% from 0.8% and reduced the promo interest rate by 0.1% to keep the current overall lotto rate the same to the end of September. My rate is 3.22% previously consisting of 0.8 + 2.42, now 0.9 + 2.32.

With the BOC raising rates 0.5% during this promo period, it'll be interesting to see what the lotto rates look like for next quarter.
May 7, 2012
307 posts
89 upvotes
I'm looking at opening accounts at Tangerine. Y'all happy with the service, rates and costs so far?
Jan 18, 2016
121 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have been moving all of my money out of Tangerine over the past month. I am getting the standard 0.9%. I called just now to try and get a higher rate, and told them I would move money back in. They did not offer me anything. This is the first time they never offered me anything (and also the first time I have not had money in the account).

Would it be worthwhile to move money back in, then call and ask again?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2133 posts
491 upvotes
capitalgain wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:56 pm
I have been moving all of my money out of Tangerine over the past month. I am getting the standard 0.9%. I called just now to try and get a higher rate, and told them I would move money back in. They did not offer me anything. This is the first time they never offered me anything (and also the first time I have not had money in the account).

Stay put and wait for 3 more weeks. Let's hope Scotia hasn't killed the lottery rate offer. As interest rate went up 0.5% since the last offer, keep our finger crossed for the rate of 3.5% or higher :). If you don't get anything in October then you can call in and ask
Jul 2, 2015
171 posts
49 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
capitalgain wrote:

Why would you do that when EQ is paying 2.3% without having to phone Tangerine and keep begging ? Smiling Face With Horns
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3405 posts
701 upvotes
on the links
mkl38s wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 1:14 pm
As interest rate went up 0.5% since the last offer, keep our finger crossed for the rate of 3.5% or higher :)
Since the BOC rate increased (twice), none of the other FIs with comparable HISA accounts have gone up...EQ, Oaken, Alterna are all standing pat. I'm not sure what the impetus would be for Tang to go large either.
Aug 16, 2010
393 posts
134 upvotes
Langley, BC
Just a reminder to start setting up your transfers out of tangerine before the end of the month
my limit is 25k/day
I set mine up starting on Monday the 25th so there will be no question that they are done before month end.
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
508 posts
170 upvotes
ontario
capitalgain wrote:

Don't call anymore they will NOT offer you anything the retention offer is to keep your $$$ in Tangerine if your account is $0.00 your offer will be none 0.90%
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
508 posts
170 upvotes
ontario
Conquistador wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:25 pm
Noticed updated terms on Tangerine this morning for their current interest rate "lotto". They've bumped the base rate to 0.9% from 0.8% and reduced the promo interest rate by 0.1% to keep the current overall lotto rate the same to the end of September. My rate is 3.22% previously consisting of 0.8 + 2.42, now 0.9 + 2.32.

With the BOC raising rates 0.5% during this promo period, it'll be interesting to see what the lotto rates look like for next quarter.
Also retention offer "promo rate" is 1.60%. Additional to Posted rate 0.90% = 2.5%
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2133 posts
491 upvotes
Before the Fort McMurray fire and before BoC cut 0.5%, I remember HISA had higher than 0.9%. Now we are back to the old rate and none of these Institutions would go back to the same rate as before. However, they went full-blown with prime :(. I don't think prime was 3.2% back then. Was it 3%?
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
508 posts
170 upvotes
ontario
mkl38s wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 4:35 pm
Before the Fort McMurray fire and before BoC cut 0.5%, I remember HISA had higher than 0.9%. Now we are back to the old rate and none of these Institutions would go back to the same rate as before. However, they went full-blown with prime :(. I don't think prime was 3.2% back then. Was it 3%?
if i remember correctly:

Tangerine - PCF HISA before BOC cut 0.50% @ 1.30%
BOC first cut 0.25% --> Tangerine - PCF HISA 1.30% to 1.05%
BOC 2nd cut 0.25% --> Tangerine - PCF HISA 1.05% to 0.80%
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4656 posts
1579 upvotes
fred koenig wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 3:41 pm
Just a reminder to start setting up your transfers out of tangerine before the end of the month
my limit is 25k/day
I set mine up starting on Monday the 25th so there will be no question that they are done before month end.
FYI, you can call or use the chat to move all of your money out of Tangerine at once. Don't need to do it over several days.
Jul 2, 2015
171 posts
49 upvotes
OTTAWA,ON
Conquistador wrote:
Sep 8th, 2017 12:25 pm

According to their website the 0.90 rate has been in effect since Aug 1/17 so the miserable **x#'s haven't moved at all on the latest BOC rise.
https://www.tangerine.ca/en/saving/savi ... index.html
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10496 posts
3319 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
parclub wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 8:07 am
According to their website the 0.90 rate has been in effect since Aug 1/17 so the miserable **x#'s haven't moved at all on the latest BOC rise.
As I recall it took them a couple of weeks to throw us 10bp of crumbs after the last BoC increase, so I would wait a while to see if they throw us any more crumbs. By that time it will be close to October when they'll be working on their next lottery. It should prove interesting (;-) ) to see if the winners get any more than the current 3.22%.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)